The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveling Powertech

Brickdoctor

Hi all,

I am new to the game and am currently leveling a PT for tanking later on. I got to level 32 through PvP and class quests, but want to level the rest of the way through normal questing. I figured the best way to do that would be a DPS build. Maybe, maybe not?

What's the preferred spec tree I should be working towards and the rotation for it?

Please keep in mind that I am new. I tried to read several threads about specs and rotations, but I couldn't follow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Im not sure my self what the "optimum" leveling spec would be for a powertech as mine is only level 22. But i am leveling with shield spec and i am enjoying it quite a bit.

I really think it doesnt really matter what spec you level in with this game as you will still do decent damage unlike say... a you spec in protection with a warrior, or restoration with a druid. They all have their ups and downs for every spec in SWTOR... but again i could be compeltely wrong.

hope this helps you a little bit :)

Thanks for the advice. I went down mostly the protection tree and had some fun with it last night.

However, what about a rotation? I always open with death from above, grapple, or jet charge, depending on the situation.

But when I am fighting an elite, what should I be using or staying away from? I hit Rail Shot and Rocket Punch every time the cooldown is up. I use the normal attack to control my heat. But what about in between? What about Unload, Flame Burst, Flame Thrower, Explosive Dart, and Missile Blast?

I just need to know if there are any of those that are a complete waste, or if there are some others I should always use in the rotation.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice. I went down mostly the protection tree and had some fun with it last night.

However, what about a rotation? I always open with death from above, grapple, or jet charge, depending on the situation.

But when I am fighting an elite, what should I be using or staying away from? I hit Rail Shot and Rocket Punch every time the cooldown is up. I use the normal attack to control my heat. But what about in between? What about Unload, Flame Burst, Flame Thrower, Explosive Dart, and Missile Blast?

I just need to know if there are any of those that are a complete waste, or if there are some others I should always use in the rotation.

Thanks in advance.

Flame Thrower is great actually. Even up to the point for single targets it's quite good. I use Flame Burst for single targets for the 4% less damage debuff. Unload usually as a filler at the moment because of the heat cost and channeling abilities making heat easier manageble. Not sure if unload is still used in endgame or not, for leveling it has it's uses. Explosive Dart is nice for AoE.

I ditched Missile Blast ages ago once I got more then 2 abilities really.

play what you want to play. Contrary to the baddies that infect these forums every spec works and works well if you play it right.

You know if there were alot more people like you, or listening to you and taking your seriously, AP would never had gotten its 1.2 buffs. So you better say thank you to all the people who played Pyros, STs, CPs and refused to touch the broken tree, otherwise you would still be one of the rare few playing AP post 1.2

You're actually hurting your cause more than bringing light to it. There is nothing wrong with saying that the AP tree is fun but still broken so the devs can fix it. But to say that it was fine all along is completely wrong and TOTALLY unfair for everyone else that wants the AP tree to be viable.

You know if there were alot more people like you, or listening to you and taking your seriously, AP would never had gotten its 1.2 buffs. So you better say thank you to all the people who played Pyros, STs, CPs and refused to touch the broken tree, otherwise you would still be one of the rare few playing AP post 1.2

You're actually hurting your cause more than bringing light to it. There is nothing wrong with saying that the AP tree is fun but still broken so the devs can fix it. But to say that it was fine all along is completely wrong and TOTALLY unfair for everyone else that wants the AP tree to be viable.

you know what i was one of the only people in Beta that said the Sentinel/Maras were in a good place. In beta no-one played them correctly, now 3 months down the road everyone is complaining they are overpowered now that a few learned how to play them right. Ever think that if you play and gear something right your perfomance might improve of doing it wrong with improper gear?

you know what i was one of the only people in Beta that said the Sentinel/Maras were in a good place. In beta no-one played them correctly, now 3 months down the road everyone is complaining they are overpowered now that a few learned how to play them right. Ever think that if you play and gear something right your perfomance might improve of doing it wrong with improper gear?

You're AGAIN 100% wrong and of course with your usual exaggerated statements. No one said marauders were "bad". People were talking in terms of GAME content, which initially was all PvE. People were saying why would you run a marauder when a jugg can do just as much damage in dps spec and also have the option to tank.

What is making marauders "OP" in 1.2, is NOT because of people learning how to play them, it is because they are the one AC that's ISN'T getting huge nerfs. Furthermore, ANY complaint, whether warranted or not, about marau/sent is exclusively for PvP content.

Everytime you write something, you really are showing people how misinformed you are. Again, I will ask you ONE last time: If Advanced Prototype was on par with Pyro, or balanced, WHY nerf Pyro and buff AP. Why dont you run your mouth to the devs and tell them they are making a big mistake, because with the new changes Advanced Prototype will be sooooooooooo OP.

You're AGAIN 100% wrong and of course with your usual exaggerated statements. No one said marauders were "bad". People were talking in terms of GAME content, which initially was all PvE. People were saying why would you run a marauder when a jugg can do just as much damage in dps spec and also have the option to tank.

What is making marauders "OP" in 1.2, is NOT because of people learning how to play them, it is because they are the one AC that's ISN'T getting huge nerfs. Furthermore, ANY complaint, whether warranted or not, about marau/sent is exclusively for PvP content.

Everytime you write something, you really are showing people how misinformed you are. Again, I will ask you ONE last time: If Advanced Prototype was on par with Pyro, or balanced, WHY nerf Pyro and buff AP. Why dont you run your mouth to the devs and tell them they are making a big mistake, because with the new changes Advanced Prototype will be sooooooooooo OP.

i'll tell you seeing how you fail at grasping the reason. The way pyro works now you can get lucky and burst someone down far faster then they want you too. So they are changing it to balance the class so that you cannot get lucky and win you have to be the better player to win.

i'll tell you seeing how you fail at grasping the reason. The way pyro works now you can get lucky and burst someone down far faster then they want you too. So they are changing it to balance the class so that you cannot get lucky and win you have to be the better player to win.

Seeing how a pyro has about 35% chance to proc back to back RS, and about 10% chance to proc Back to Back to Back RS, it seems everyone in the world of SWTOR would fail at grasping YOUR reason. So if 2-3 out of our wins are PURE luck, what happened to our 7-8 other wins?

Also you conveniently do not mention that the RNG is also NOT in our favor most of the time, so even when we do get lucky there are more times when we dont. If your logic was correct, then in general Pyros would lose most of the fights. What makes Pyro far superior than AP, is NOT just PPA, it is a whole slew of other talents that work very well together, unlike the AP tree.

Third, this might come as a SHOCKER for your, but the AP tree also has RNG. But they make it so much easier and give you a guaranteed way to proc. That along with a talent that babysits your Heat management, I would argue that it takes a lot less talent to play AP then a Pyro. Your argument that it is harder to play only stems from the fact that the tree performs below the pyro, hence the challenge.

Thank you, try again.

Seeing how a pyro has about 35% chance to proc back to back RS, and about 10% chance to proc Back to Back to Back RS, it seems everyone in the world of SWTOR would fail at grasping YOUR reason. So if 2-3 out of our wins are PURE luck, what happened to our 7-8 other wins?

Also you conveniently do not mention that the RNG is also NOT in our favor most of the time, so even when we do get lucky there are more times when we dont. If your logic was correct, then in general Pyros would lose most of the fights. What makes Pyro far superior than AP, is NOT just PPA, it is a whole slew of other talents that work very well together, unlike the AP tree.

Third, this might come as a SHOCKER for your, but the AP tree also has RNG. But they make it so much easier and give you a guaranteed way to proc. That along with a talent that babysits your Heat management, I would argue that it takes a lot less talent to play AP then a Pyro. Your argument that it is harder to play only stems from the fact that the tree performs below the pyro, hence the challenge.

Thank you, try again.

did you miss the bus on the fact you can no longer get back to back procs come 1.2??? with a 6 second ICD you will never be able to luck into the ability to burst people like you can now. People judge DPS on how fast they can kill a weak thing, not on damage over long fights which is why so many people think Pyro is so much better. In a short fdight it CAN burst better, but the longer the fight goes the sustained damage of AP comes though. Its like Annihilation marauders in that way, annihilation cannot burst for anything but over time nothing rivals the damage output.

did you miss the bus on the fact you can no longer get back to back procs come 1.2??? with a 6 second ICD you will never be able to luck into the ability to burst people like you can now. People judge DPS on how fast they can kill a weak thing, not on damage over long fights which is why so many people think Pyro is so much better. In a short fdight it CAN burst better, but the longer the fight goes the sustained damage of AP comes though. Its like Annihilation marauders in that way, annihilation cannot burst for anything but over time nothing rivals the damage output.

OMG....

First of all here is a back to back RS even in 1.2

IM>RS>FB>RS any questions?

Also, I was describing the way it IS now, in live.

Third, Pyro, EVEN with the 1.2 change will still have MORE sustained dps than AP. You insisting that ONLY through back to back RS Pyro does more damage than you are completely clueless about the tree.

Here is a little tip for you, go 2/31/8 and use CGC and you will do more damage than your current spec. CGC alone does more damage than HEGC. Your stubbornness is really out of this world.

I swear people who dont even play the class, prob understand all this.

Edited by Agooz

OMG....

First of all here is a back to back RS even in 1.2

IM>RS>FB>RS any questions?

Also, I was describing the way it IS now, in live.

Third, Pyro, EVEN with the 1.2 change will still have MORE sustained dps than AP. You insisting that ONLY through back to back RS Pyro does more damage than you are completely clueless about the tree.

Here is a little tip for you, go 2/31/8 and use CGC and you will do more damage than your current spec. CGC alone does more damage than HEGC. Your stubbornness is really out of this world.

I swear people who dont even play the class, prob understand all this.

its comical how wrong you are, but you are a lost cause. you are just like the people who thought mauarders were a worthless class back in beta and they were underpowered and all round worthless to have until people learned how to play them right.

the proof you are clueless is in the fact you cannot see why HEGC works the way it does.

its comical how wrong you are, but you are a lost cause. you are just like the people who thought mauarders were a worthless class back in beta and they were underpowered and all round worthless to have until people learned how to play them right.

the proof you are clueless is in the fact you cannot see why HEGC works the way it does.

You're a broken record, people listen to MP3s these days. When you have something new to share, let us know.

Um, though I can appreciate your enthusiasm and passion towards the Bounty Hunter class, this is not really the thread for such a discussion. I'm not interested in maxing out my dps to the nth degree, but I do want to be effective while trying to have fun.

Spec wise, I will probably play around with a few until I find one that is enjoyable. The only thing I am searching for now is whether or not there are any attacks that are a waste, or if there is a specific sequence that makes me more effective.

I have a Sorcerer, and the dps sequence is pretty straight forward, almost dull. The Bounty Hunter seems much more complex, and I like that because it keeps me on my toes, but I would like advice from those who know the class most.

Thanks again all.

I have a Sorcerer, and the dps sequence is pretty straight forward, almost dull. The Bounty Hunter seems much more complex, and I like that because it keeps me on my toes, but I would like advice from those who know the class most.

Thanks again all.

Sadly, it is not complex and in a lot of cases can be pretty boring also.

Um, though I can appreciate your enthusiasm and passion towards the Bounty Hunter class, this is not really the thread for such a discussion. I'm not interested in maxing out my dps to the nth degree, but I do want to be effective while trying to have fun.

Spec wise, I will probably play around with a few until I find one that is enjoyable. The only thing I am searching for now is whether or not there are any attacks that are a waste, or if there is a specific sequence that makes me more effective.

Thanks again all.

A few pieces of advice that hasn't been thrown out yet, as we've been dodging the epeen duel in this thread sadly, is:

1. Save your CC as a ST leveling -- your electro dart is golden for when you're mid-way through an elite fight (note not boss but cc'able elite) and want to give mako some time to catch up w heals. Note only needed on leets a bit higher than you.

2. While DFA is a great opener for multiple mobs, throw in a Flame Sweep from time to time to keep them combusted and on you. Good threat there.

3. Check Mako from time to time, sometimes her healing stance 'resets' and without it, you are less effective and there's downtime to leveling. Always look for the 'Green Handshake' item in the mini-bar at the bottom left of your screen when you summon her - it should be marked. This bug may have been fixed.

4. Stim-wise, since a Reflex Stim isn't going to make you kill elites that much faster, really, think about using Presence stims to boost Mako's heals and support dps. Again, no downtime is a good time!

5. Rotation is as has been discussed, don't be afraid to use Unload whenever it's up, as it is a good heat-managed ability, similarly when you're low on heat FT cone does well to establish and hold threat on more than one attacker. Don't forget to throw in those aoe debuffs either, whether it's Oil Slick or Flame Sweep (for combust).

Happy hunting!

Edited by Poe_

Sadly, it is not complex and in a lot of cases can be pretty boring also.

With the Sorcerer the cooldown time's line up really well. Crushing Darkness, followed by Affliction. When the CD cooldown is over, Affliction finishes. The timing is nice. During this time, I do a Force Lightning, Lightning Strike, and Shock combo where the cooldowns work out as well.

Is there anything similar on the Bounty Hunter? I have tried to figure it out but the cooldowns seem to be all over the place.

Thanks

A few pieces of advice that hasn't been thrown out yet, as we've been dodging the epeen duel in this thread sadly, is:

1. Save your CC as a ST leveling -- your electro dart is golden for when you're mid-way through an elite fight (note not boss but cc'able elite) and want to give mako some time to catch up w heals. Note only needed on leets a bit higher than you.

2. While DFA is a great opener for multiple mobs, throw in a Flame Sweep from time to time to keep them combusted and on you. Good threat there.

3. Check Mako from time to time, sometimes her healing stance 'resets' and without it, you are less effective and there's downtime to leveling. Always look for the 'Green Handshake' item in the mini-bar at the bottom left of your screen when you summon her - it should be marked. This bug may have been fixed.

4. Stim-wise, since a Reflex Stim isn't going to make you kill elites that much faster, really, think about using Presence stims to boost Mako's heals and support dps. Again, no downtime is a good time!

5. Rotation is as has been discussed, don't be afraid to use Unload whenever it's up, as it is a good heat-managed ability, similarly when you're low on heat FT cone does well to establish and hold threat on more than one attacker. Don't forget to throw in those aoe debuffs either, whether it's Oil Slick or Flame Sweep (for combust).

Happy hunting!

Great tips, thanks so much for jotting all of that down. It will be very helpful.

With the Sorcerer the cooldown time's line up really well. Crushing Darkness, followed by Affliction. When the CD cooldown is over, Affliction finishes. The timing is nice. During this time, I do a Force Lightning, Lightning Strike, and Shock combo where the cooldowns work out as well.

Is there anything similar on the Bounty Hunter? I have tried to figure it out but the cooldowns seem to be all over the place.

Thanks

Regardless of spec. It's basically

Spam Flame Burst

Hit rail shot when off cooldown

Spam Flame Burst

Hit rocket punch when off cooldown

If your are AP you get to add in Flamethrower.

>_<

(Abridged version but really it's pretty boring. Leveling a sorc now myself and finding the "rotation" or whatever you wish to call it a bit more enjoyable as I can use more abilities in a shorter time. I'm also a bit jealous of how Wrath works, thing is always every force lightning.)

Edited by exphryl