Darkness Tank PVP Gear

Z-ToXiN

Just wondering which PVP gear set I should be getting for my tankasin. I think the Survivor set matches the tankasin best but I just want to be sure before I spend.

Also, are there certain pieces of gear that I should try to get first? And on a related note, since I got both champion and centurion commendations, which pieces should I get champion first and which centurion?

Also, I think the Force Mystic and Master gear look much better, but those are for Sorcs, right?

Stalker no matter what specc you choose if you want to do it right.

Survivor if you intent to play huttball, and only be usefull when your carrying the ball.

Those might be a bit extreme, but that is basicly the jest of it.

Just wondering which PVP gear set I should be getting for my tankasin. I think the Survivor set matches the tankasin best but I just want to be sure before I spend.

Also, are there certain pieces of gear that I should try to get first? And on a related note, since I got both champion and centurion commendations, which pieces should I get champion first and which centurion?

Also, I think the Force Mystic and Master gear look much better, but those are for Sorcs, right?

2 pieces of the survivor set and 2 pieces of Stalker seems to be the standard. Either way you're going to be switching out the mods so get the ones with the set bonuses that cater to your playstyle.

As for which gear you should get first, always go for mainhand and offhand first, these are the most valuable pieces by far.

I actually use 2 pieces BM Force-Masters and replace the alacricity mods as it makes crushing darkness a great self-heal. Also, if you like how they look better, use em! Again, the stats arent set, just replace the mods with the stats you don't need, pay attention to the set bonuses.

I would start playing DPS if I was you, the tank sin will get nurfed very soon...Unless of course all you want is tank and not be able to kill anything.

You know for a fact it's getting nerfed soon? And it's actually very easy to kill things with the proper setup, rotation etc. I crit assassinate for about 4-4.5k damage on a regular basis.

It's not getting nerfed. Bioware explicitly stated that they feel Darkness/Kinetic Combat spec is about where it should be. There's just a legion of brain-dead QQers on the forum who have nothing better to do but complain about classes that aren't theirs.

2 piece survivor + 3 stalker is a good start. If you really want to play well, I would get a full set of survivor gear as well, along with both shield and focus. You'd switch over to full defensive gear for things like being ball carrier in Huttball, defending a turret in Alderaan, or defending a door/panel in Voidstar.

Disagree. 4-pc stalker is the only way to go. Why? It adds one additional charge to Recklessness AND reduces the cooldown. It's impossible to overstate how useful this is in making a difference on every map. When I went from Full Survivors to Full Stalker, I not only saw a dramatic uptick in my ability to dish out the damage, but the people I fought were dead (er) faster and hence my ability to survive went up as well.

With full Survivor's I wasn't really lasting that much longer to make a difference either way. Dead people don't do damage, and I wasn't killing them fast enough to make that a reality. With full Stalkers, I am. I still die quickly when focused on (which is happening more often now that I'm capable of being a problem), but in 1v1 and 1v2 scenarios, I can frequently hold my own and even come out ahead with proper play. With tank gear on, it was simply a matter of when they killed me, not if. Now it's the other way around unless I'm completely outmatched.

It's not getting nerfed. Bioware explicitly stated that they feel Darkness/Kinetic Combat spec is about where it should be. There's just a legion of brain-dead QQers on the forum who have nothing better to do but complain about classes that aren't theirs.

^

This. Far far too many terribads QQ'ing without any knowledge or perspective. Overall the balance in this game is pretty damned good atm. A few tweaks here or there but nothing major really needed. IE: Healer ops getting some love, which they are in 1.2 finally.

Disagree. 4-pc stalker is the only way to go. Why? It adds one additional charge to Recklessness AND reduces the cooldown. It's impossible to overstate how useful this is in making a difference on every map. When I went from Full Survivors to Full Stalker, I not only saw a dramatic uptick in my ability to dish out the damage, but the people I fought were dead (er) faster and hence my ability to survive went up as well.

With full Survivor's I wasn't really lasting that much longer to make a difference either way. Dead people don't do damage, and I wasn't killing them fast enough to make that a reality. With full Stalkers, I am. I still die quickly when focused on (which is happening more often now that I'm capable of being a problem), but in 1v1 and 1v2 scenarios, I can frequently hold my own and even come out ahead with proper play. With tank gear on, it was simply a matter of when they killed me, not if. Now it's the other way around unless I'm completely outmatched.

I don't know about you, but as a tank sin i don't worry about bursting. I worry about outlasting. I'll take my more HP and shorter CD on Spike tyvm.

3 survivor/2 stalker pieces imo.

If you want the best damage as darkness you want to take the 4p survivor bonus and replace all your mods / enh with dps ones. Preferably end/wp/power mods and end/power/surge enh.

Grab a focus, grab a rakata wep and use the power crystal and the mods/enhs mentioned above. If you don't have rakata use the champion one.

Replace some of your gear with pve, preferably an orange modded belt, augmented belt/bracers.

Gz now you can crit 5k shocks on clothers!

Ok, thanks for the responses!

So, based on whats been posted, Im gonna go either full stalker or some combination of stalker and survivor. I wouldn't have thought about using a focus, but I guess the consensus seems to be that focus>shield for PVP. And I didnt know about switching mods from PVP gear, hadn't bought a single piece yet.

So if I am understanding correctly, all of a classes gear sets have the same armoring; it's the mods (which are removable) that give them the stats. And the set bonuses are the other consideration on deciding which set to take, otherwise I could put any mods into them.

Finally, which relics should i take?

Yes you are correct both survivor and stalker sets have the same armorings so the difference in stats is only made by the mods / enhs.

The best combination should be the matrix cube (very easy to get) and the "on-use" power relic. The crit+surge one is rather useless since you should be at the surge "soft cap" with decent gear.

On the focus vs shield topic i would suggest getting both when you have the chance. Drop a point into dark ward and just switch them around based on the situation. Shields might not be "excellent" but they provide some added mitigation.

Yes you are correct both survivor and stalker sets have the same armorings so the difference in stats is only made by the mods / enhs.

The best combination should be the matrix cube (very easy to get) and the "on-use" power relic. The crit+surge one is rather useless since you should be at the surge "soft cap" with decent gear.

On the focus vs shield topic i would suggest getting both when you have the chance. Drop a point into dark ward and just switch them around based on the situation. Shields might not be "excellent" but they provide some added mitigation.

I can't wait for 1.2 to come out just so I can do some combat log tests of the difference between keeping a shield on and using Dark Ward on CD (easier than trying to keep track of a randomly moving tiny icon on your buff list) while in Survivors and going the opposite direction and not even bothering, plus maybe a few spots in between. I'm willing to bet that in PvP the difference between the two ends up not being worth it.

I can't wait for 1.2 to come out just so I can do some combat log tests of the difference between keeping a shield on and using Dark Ward on CD (easier than trying to keep track of a randomly moving tiny icon on your buff list) while in Survivors and going the opposite direction and not even bothering, plus maybe a few spots in between. I'm willing to bet that in PvP the difference between the two ends up not being worth it.

I was actually a firm believer of using a Shield Generator and Dark Ward for a while.

Someone then posted a 31/0/10 video (back when not everyone and their grandma was in tank spec) and all I did was watch his DW charges. Not even carrying the ball in Huttball did he ever lose a charge. It was kind of sad actually.

So yeah... Focus.

Oh and PVP Tank gear wise: If you want a knockdown every 20sec. go Survivor 2pc. If you want an extra Recklessness charge and lower CD go Stalker 4pc.

There's no right or wrong really. Just swap out the useless defense mods/enh.

IMO not worth swapping mods pre-1.2 on BM gear, because if you do it will not be updated. Or you have to swap it back in to cause it to update, which costs a decent amount of credits.

If you don't have BM gear then swap away.

From experience the 4p surv + focus, everything else St/Fm/custom dps pieces. Is the most effective combination. You retain adequate survival and amazing dps output.

Aim for 10% expertise - anything over is better spent with willpower/power. rakata gear/orange belt & bracers with 58 mods will do fine to fill in the gaps.

Keep your guard up on someone who is a personal healer or someone who won't die easily. Expect 12 - 13 medals a game. Most notably Voidstar & Civil war.

Providing you play the class correctly, you will quite easily obtain your 300k damage and 75k healing medal. the 5k crit medal can be obtained from the exp powerup, relic + adrenal. Ideally you would want to use assassinate on someone with that combo.

all protection medals are easily obtained, by keeping up guard and using Mc/MMc Off cd.