Am I missing something re: finding groups

murrdogg

My guild has 'HMFP Mondays' where we run new 50's and alts through fp's to gear up to run with us in ops.

So my statement stands... make some friends and join a guild.

My guild is PvP exclusive and could care less about flashpoints. There needs to be an alternate method to find a group as well as joining a guild, because different guilds work in different ways.

To the OP: Finding groups for this game is ridiculously difficult. Most people who are level 50 are not interested in the flash points any more and their alts aren't ready to run yet. This combined with a lack of LFG tool and dwindling server populations on many servers makes it nearly impossible at the current time.

Yes because he can be sure that all the people in his guild are dying to do FPs. :rolleyes:

With almost 4 months into the game, even the most casual of guilds have both OPs on farm status and rarely every do FPs.

I consistently see groups spamming for a healer/tank for over 10 minutes sometimes in the Fleet's General Chat only to give up 10 minutes later since they've had it.

I mean, how are you supposed to find a tank when Wound in the Force hasn't had over 100 people on the Fleet in over 3 weeks? This is a drastic difference from the days in January (just barely 2 months ago) when there was over 250 people on the Fleet on a daily basis.

To the OP: you're gonna struggle to find FP groups especially if you're a DPS. My advice is to try to get into a guild that's already clearing 8/16-man HM OPs as you will get geared extremely fast and won't have to bother with FPs at all.

I play on Wound in the Force, republic and I've been able to pug a group every thu - sun, nights and weekend afternoons. People are shy. I post in general chat and then start looming to see who's on fleet and then start sending out whispers to people. Most of the time, people respond and we fill the group and go.

It's not impossible, sometimes you just have to take an active role in the puggin processes. And my guild has meet some really good players doing this. You need someone to run with ya on reb side, hit up nyren on thu - sun nights, I come with a pocket healer so that helps. But we are puggin and clearing content. I remember putting groups together before lfd in wow.

Oh this argument. Lets go over it again.

We all have a life outside of this game and part of my life is playing B-ball at the Y. Theres a big group of guys at the Y that mostly know eachother and play together at this point. There is no x-city x-state LFB-ball game at the Y tool yet somehow we all still seem to manage. Sometimes I get my IRL character progression on by just working out instead because theres too many people waiting to get on the courts. If one of the guys showed up and demanded to cut in on a court because "he has a life and family outside of b-ball at the Y" just imagine the laughter that would follow. Imagine one of the guys saying something like "I don't need to make friends over B-ball at the Y" loud enough for everyone to hear it. Yeah, you're that guy on these forums.

If theres a problem its that BW didn't include the weight room, track, treadmills, ellipticals, pool, ect. to accomidate you during those times you couldn't get on the court. Nobody is trying to push their playstyle on you. Its more like you're trying to push your outside obligations aka "life" on others playstyle.

Actually, as a Y member myself, yes there is such a tool. The Y at my hometown has dedicated space both at their website and on a bulletin board to help people locate each other. In addition, the Y, sort of like the fleet used to before it emptied out, IS the LFG tool. You're interested in some form of physical exercise and you're a Y member if you have any brains at all you look for like minded people there. Unfortunately, the fleet is routinely deserted except for PvPers now (I should know, I'm one of them) so finding a group is a lot trickier. Strangely, the Y is still populated, must be more of us losers with lives lol. I'm thrilled for you that you have so much free leisure time, but some of us have lives and not an occasional activity we engage in and an LFG is helpful for us.

Edited by RobNightfall

Uhm...most population data sites have almost every server with less than 50 people actively on each fleet.......my server has been down to single digits every night...

That's funny considering none of those sites actually collect player count...they only collect server status.

They all even state this.

(And I imagine my server goes single digits around 4am on a weekday also. :rolleyes:)

Edited by Azzras

That's funny considering none of those sites actually collect player count...they only collect server status.

They all even state this.

(And I imagine my server goes single digits around 4am on a weekday also. :rolleyes:)

Uhm it was 6pm EST and there 23 and then 9 people on the fleet in a matter of minutes......

It just sucks because things are never going to get better when the developers, employees, and fanboys continue to live in DENIAL of the crumbling population

Actually, as a Y member myself, yes there is such a tool. The Y at my hometown has dedicated space both at their website and on a bulletin board to help people locate each other. In addition, the Y, sort of like the fleet used to before it emptied out, IS the LFG tool. You're interested in some form of physical exercise and you're a Y member if you have any brains at all you look for like minded people there. Unfortunately, the fleet is routinely deserted except for PvPers now (I should know, I'm one of them) so finding a group is a lot trickier. Strangely, the Y is still populated, must be more of us losers with lives lol. I'm thrilled for you that you have so much free leisure time, but some of us have lives and not an occasional activity we engage in and an LFG is helpful for us.

I work 40+ hours a week, run my own repair business on the side, have 3 kids, 10yrs, 4 yrs and 1yrs, all that can't wait to see and play with me and a significant other AND I still manage to pug 2 - 4 groups a week at night when I get a chance to play.

Real life and responsibility hasn't held me back from doing group content, but then again I dont play b-ball so maybe thats it?

Uhm it was 6pm EST and there 23 and then 9 people on the fleet in a matter of minutes......

It just sucks because things are never going to get better when the developers, employees, and fanboys continue to live in DENIAL of the crumbling population

Interestingly enough, I started searching for information on that. found a nice little graph Dulfy put together on her site. Not complete, but a nice snapshot of serer pops in the main planets. Dated Feb 24th (which means that teh summit, 1.2, and EU were not part of that number).

http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-numerical-population-data-for-swtor-servers/

My first impression was...wow! there's a ton of servers! If anything should motivate you to support a merger process...that list would be it.

total servers on the graph for PvE/RP - 79

top number - 1079

bottom - 109

Average - 594

Based on the average, only 13 servers on that list are above that average. And yes, my math stinks, hopefully someone more interested in math will come along and be more precise about the details, but overall it is probably close. so...that leaves 66 PvE/RP servers that are under the mean.

now, on the note of population...as of early march (again, before 1.2 and EU players), press release was 1.7m, and they specifically stated that most of those were paid subs. when you compare that to the industry averages (no...WoW isn't the average...it's the freak poster boy), SWtOR is pretty high in base atm.

What does all of that mean? decent player base, WAY too many servers. they could cut that number by half, and just about every server would have great numbers. I personally think they should start doing server migrations by a few at a time. give 6 servers each month the ability to free xfer their toons, and at the end of the month, close server and merge to another.

It seems that they wanted enough servers available to avoid the "server death" that occurs on new releases. only problem is, they didn't merge after that. Other MMO's that do the opposite (less servers, more crash issues and servers full at release) are spared from having to merge after launch. to me, it's flip sides of a coin. Bio should take the hit and merge. Or at least allow groups of free transfers to see where people end up.

I think they're playing the wait and see game. if they close too many, and the game actually grows (like it's looking at doing atm), they don't want to have to re-add servers. But i think they're on the short end of that server stick. there's just too stinking many.

Edited by Elyx

I work 40+ hours a week, run my own repair business on the side, have 3 kids, 10yrs, 4 yrs and 1yrs, all that can't wait to see and play with me and a significant other AND I still manage to pug 2 - 4 groups a week at night when I get a chance to play.

Real life and responsibility hasn't held me back from doing group content, but then again I dont play b-ball so maybe thats it?

2 to 4 groups a WEEK.

When with a good lfg tool you be 2 to 4 groups a DAY.

I have already did 4 runs in rift today and just finished 2 runs in wow.

Thats 6 today alone.. Logging in to swtor to run ops with my guild then ill probably hope over to wow for a couple of more group runs.

2 to 4 groups a WEEK.

Thats 6 today alone.. Logging in to swtor to run ops with my guild then ill probably hope over to wow for a couple of more group runs.

so your saying that the slot machine that WoW has become is better....how?

Yeah. i can run that many groups. In which I could care less about the people I run with. and I could care less about the mobs, or the boss, or the loot. give me points! I am not hear to talk. please stop trying that mundane concept of conversation in chat! I am not paying attention. GOGOGOGGO! I have exactly 45m tonight to get my point cap for the week, and your casual conversation and jokes and your lack of knowledge of the instance run is getting IN MY WAY! can we kick this tank? he has obviously not ran this instance before. while were at it, lets kick the healer too, because everyone knows druid healers are noobs,,,

Stopped playing my Shaman when I realized it was a big slot machine. I certainly miss the grouping we had during the first month of SWtOR...but not enough to want an RDF like WOW.

I think it more that Bioware has made a game that players just want to do their class storyline get to level 50, and just say "screw it" when it comes to FP and Heroics. Cant find a group for them its because most players or guilds dont want to do them, it cuts into their raiding or PvP time.

But finding a guild with friends should be the first thing to do in a MMO, a LFG tool just gets you bad PUG's and you never form any friendships with it since after the group you never see the player again.

Edited by Steelyeye

2 to 4 groups a WEEK.

You can't reason with someone who is happy with an inferior product. If he's happy running

2-4 flashpoints a week then he's happy. Good for him but bad for us

Yeah. i can run that many groups. In which I could care less about the people I run with. and I could care less about the mobs, or the boss, or the loot. give me points! I am not hear to talk. please stop trying that mundane concept of conversation in chat! I am not paying attention. GOGOGOGGO! I have exactly 45m tonight to get my point cap for the week, and your casual conversation and jokes and your lack of knowledge of the instance run is getting IN MY WAY! can we kick this tank? he has obviously not ran this instance before. while were at it, lets kick the healer too, because everyone knows druid healers are noobs,,,

Stopped playing my Shaman when I realized it was a big slot machine. I certainly miss the grouping we had during the first month of SWtOR...but not enough to want an RDF like WOW.

Yes i am saying that grouping in rift and wow is better. You called it slot machine i call it fast and effect.

OHHH i see your one of those.. No i am not interested in hearing about your day your life or your dog! I get all the socializing i need from facebook and emails with my REAL friends.

i know your type your the one that turns a nice 20 min run into a hour long social affair.

Yes ill take rifts and wows grouping anyday over what swtor has.

No dont tell me to go play those other games.. I already do!

It's only going to get worse from here, WoW made their decision for a x-lfd because they have a smart business model. It make take a year for us realize the repercussions of not having these tools, I'd rather have them now and not pay down the road for not having them.

I"d advise you to join a guild. Post what you want in a guild on your server forums. Ask some folks to recommend guilds. Talk to guild leaders and members. Try to find a good fit with your interests.

MMOs are about playing the game with other people. And if you play with folks you enjoy hanging out with, it makes the experience so much better.

lack of LFG tool will do that.

so yea if you can't find any body on our server list, or if no one enters your calls, you're out of luck.

This would be an incorrect assessment. The game has a great LFG tool, it just depends on whether or not players on your server are using it. On our server (Mask of Nihilus) it gets used a lot - to the point where chat is almost a constant stream of LFGs during peak (6:00PM to 1:00AM U.S. CST.) It works for everything from heroic 2s & 4s to FPs to HMs to OPS. Though most OPs will have gear checks, etc.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=224095&page=7

Edited by GalacticKegger

If you have a life outside of this video game it is very hard to build friendships in an online world. As someone who works a 40 hour job and has a family I can't understand how someone expects me to dedicate blocks of time (albeit outside of a weekend) to a video game. I don't need to make friends in an MMORPG, if they come, that's great but I'm not soul searching - maybe we play these games for different reasons and that's great. The issue I have is you are trying to push your playstyle onto me, that is un-American.

Im pretty sure pushing our ideals onto others with no respect to others is American.

IMO people working 40+ hours a week with a family should not be playing an MMORPG. You have more important things to do. So for you to say its to hard for you to find friends, guild, and groups to do content, I laugh. You do not have the time to play this game, bc all of that friend finding IS PART OF PLAYING THE GAME.

This would be an incorrect assessment. The game has a great LFG tool, it just depends on whether or not players on your server are using it. On our server (Mask of Nihilus) it gets used a lot - to the point where chat is almost a constant stream of LFGs during peak (6:00PM to 1:00AM U.S. CST.) It works for everything from heroic 2s & 4s to FPs to HMs to OPS. Though most OPs will have gear checks, etc.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=224095&page=7

It's hardly great. It’s sufficient - in the sense that it places you in a chat that advertises your availability for certain content, but that is hardly great.

Why, as an adult and a paying customer should I have to work to find “online friends” or party members for OPS / FP groups? I should be simply placed in a queue and the game matches me with people who want to run the same content. I have a family, and a lot of RL commitments – I use this game as an outlet to escape reality for limited amounts of time (it takes my mind off a bad day and helps me relax), spending time spamming for people to join me so we can actually play the game is a waste of my time and adds no value in my eyes.

I’m not averse to making acquaintances, and I have a healthy friends list – but this doesn’t justify the stance that people shouldn’t have instant gratification, just because certain elements of the community think that PROPER LFG tools destroy the overall server community.

Im pretty sure pushing our ideals onto others with no respect to others is American.

IMO people working 40+ hours a week with a family should not be playing an MMORPG. You have more important things to do. So for you to say its to hard for you to find friends, guild, and groups to do content, I laugh. You do not have the time to play this game, bc all of that friend finding IS PART OF PLAYING THE GAME.

Who are you to dictate how much time is required to play and enjoy a game?

You would be surprised how many people actually fall in the category you just alienated .....

And no, "friend finding" is not part of playing the game - its at times an added bonus, but should not be a requirement (and currently isnt)

It's hardly great. It’s sufficient - in the sense that it places you in a chat that advertises your availability for certain content, but that is hardly great.

Why, as an adult and a paying customer should I have to work to find “online friends” or party members for OPS / FP groups? I should be simply placed in a queue and the game matches me with people who want to run the same content. I have a family, and a lot of RL commitments – I use this game as an outlet to escape reality for limited amounts of time (it takes my mind off a bad day and helps me relax), spending time spamming for people to join me so we can actually play the game is a waste of my time and adds no value in my eyes.

I’m not averse to making acquaintances, and I have a healthy friends list – but this doesn’t justify the stance that people shouldn’t have instant gratification, just because certain elements of the community think that PROPER LFG tools destroy the overall server community.

That is a defensive response aimed in retaliation for those certain elements of the community who would utter words that make your blood boil. I am not one of them fortunately. I don't believe a WoWesque LFG tool would destroy anything when used properly and in moderation. It's just not a need right now because (a) there is already a tool in place that works just fine and (b) there other things that merit more attention.

I too have RL commitments and even own & operate my own business, so time is also at a premium for me. The current LFG system works just fine. I know this because I spent a playing session learning how to use it, and our server community made it a point to spread the word instead of coddling the "where 's my WoW stuff" griefers. The problem is people expecting everything in this game to replicate their favorite features from some other game.

Reality check ... this is a new game and requires learning how to play something different. If different isn't good for someone then it isn't good for someone. If learning a new game is too much of a time sink then it's too much of a time sink. Forcing a square peg into a round hole takes much more time (and causes much more frustration) than simply going with a round peg.

For some trading in their square peg for a round one can be unsettling. Not everyone is comfortable with change.

Edited by GalacticKegger