The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

what happend to the exile

azahna

Its all just a case of bioware wanting to base swtor on its own game and that is reflected in the novel, from the get go the events of kotorII are watered down...

All that Darth Nihilus did was a pretty big deal... You'd think a guy who wiped-out whole populations would be pretty hard to forget even after 300 years.

I'm sure that if Bioware had stayed on with kotorII then you would see more of it in swtor... although i think if bioware had made kotorII then we would be playing kotorIII right now instead.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all just a case of bioware wanting to base swtor on its own game and that is reflected in the novel, from the get go the events of kotorII are watered down...

All that Darth Nihilus did was a pretty big deal... You'd think a guy who wiped-out whole populations would be pretty hard to forget even after 300 years.

I'm sure that if Bioware had stayed on with kotorII then you would see more of it in swtor... although i think if bioware had made kotorII then we would be playing kotorIII right now instead.

I was actually hoping for KotOR III.... But hey, this is the next best thing. lol

Thanks for revealing to everyone how biased you are and the fact that you really just hated KotOR II and are glad at what your god Drew Karpyshyn did to Surik and KotOR II.

What is hilarious is, you go on and on about how KotOR II was terrible, yet it is responsible for a massive part of Revan's story, the irony is golden.

1. Drew is nowhere close to being a God or even in my top 100 favorite Authors .

2. Revan's story would have been fine without KotoRII . To be honest it would have been just as fine even if KotoR II never came out or if they never mentioned Revan in KotoRII .

I liked KotoRII but the point I am trying to make is you are over the top hating on Drew and Revan is getting old . Meetra Surik is dead , it is lore and canon now. Her story is pretty much over with Revan..........

She was his sidekick as she was in KotoR II and everything after that . They was she was writen is confusing in general as she followed Revan and liked him better while he was on the path to the darkside but didn't care too much for his forgotten Sith side when he was completely light again.

To be honest with that I feel maybe she is to blame for his insanity in TOR .

These are just characters and it a sign of poor personality to attack a Author for a book comic or game in such a fasion of obsession as you , Walsh , Captian . and Axmand have show time and time again in the Karen Traviss threads .

Drew no longer works at Bioware for for LucasArts

Karen no longer works for LucasArts

These people have moved on to other projects with less extreme fanbase that go crazy over the deaths of the characters they make into GODS.

I like Revan and will always like him but he isn't even in my top 10 favorite starwars characters period. I am completely unbiased in how I feel and I pretty much like Revan and Surik the same . I did after all buy KotoRII and play it like there was no other game in the world to play .

Edited by Meluna

I'm still not even sure KOTOR II is accepted as canon >.>

Maybe it's like Mass Effect, where no matter what choices you make, there aren't any choices that are the "Canon" choice to make, so the fate of the exile depends on how you played/ended the game.

I'm still not even sure KOTOR II is accepted as canon >.>

Maybe it's like Mass Effect, where no matter what choices you make, there aren't any choices that are the "Canon" choice to make, so the fate of the exile depends on how you played/ended the game.

Yes it is accepted as canon completely, A female light side playthrough is canon.

To be fair here, I did enjoy Drew's Mass Effect novels. Mostly because they didn't interfere with the main story in the games.

The lore and there is a solid story to it that is canon.

Its not Canon that Exile is a female

Drew gave her a awesome name Meetra Surik , the guy has a way with names .

I am sure we will see more of KotoR II in future expanions without a doubt being people like myself like Nihilus alot and he is easily in my top 5 favorite sithlords .

Hello there, everyone! We recently had to remove or edit some posts in this thread. We wanted to take a moment and remind everyone of the Forum Rules and Guidelines.

Please remember that members are allowed to disagree with one another - repeatedly telling others to "stay on topic" or stating you are ignoring them is not constructive or conducive to healthy discussion. We understand that sometimes subjects can get heated, but we do ask that everyone is respectful and polite to each other while giving their opinions. Here are some quick examples to keep in mind when posting.

• Never insult another community member.
  • Always discuss the topic and give constructive criticism.
  • If you feel someone is violates the Rules of Conduct, do not reply to them; simply report (flag) the post.
  • If someone is being a troll, don’t feed them. Simply do not reply and report (flag) the post.
  • Be respectful to all community members; while you may not agree with their opinion, you should not be rude to them.

Thanks for your understanding, and please enjoy your friendly debate!

The lore and there is a solid story to it that is canon.

Its not Canon that Exile is a female

Drew gave her a awesome name Meetra Surik , the guy has a way with names .

I am sure we will see more of KotoR II in future expanions without a doubt being people like myself like Nihilus alot and he is easily in my top 5 favorite sithlords .

Actually it is canon that The Exile is female.

"G0-T0 soon became mixed up with an exiled Jedi Knight and her mission to destroy the Sith Lords."

―From the entry on the G0-T0 droid, p. 25[src]

"Five standard years later, T3-M4 appeared aboard the abandoned freighter Ebon Hawk, where he fell into the company of the heroine known only as the Jedi Exile."

―From the entry on the T3 droid, p. 37[src]

"Five years after the Star Forge incident, HK-47 teamed up with the heroine known as the Jedi Exile to battle a trio of Sith Lords."

―From the entry on the HK assassin droid, p. 107[src]

This means all further canonical printed references to the character will describe the Exile as female. -Wookiepedia

Also, I doubt we'll see Nihilus again as he is A. dead and B. the same as the Emperor on a lesser scale.

Revan was actually never meant to be a big ****** in the first place, it was KOTOR2 that painted him that way. 'Heart of the Force' remember that one? That's because the writers for KOTOR2 [avellone] had a very different way to take the plot. The 'true sith' that Revan was going to fight was in fact something forgotten and ancient.

Then it left his hands and Tenebrae/Vitiate was concocted as the person Revan went to fight.

It's just what happens when multiple writers get their hands on the same story arc with completely different directions.

Basically, Drew Karpyshyn decided to ignore all established canon about the Exile, in favor of turning her into Revan's personal fangirl/padawan for the whole book and then killed her in the most unceremonious spit in the face of the fans type of way just so he could say 'My character is better than your's' to Avellone(writer of KotOR 2), because apparently Revan over-shadowing everything in the Exile's game wasn't enough for dear old Drew.

YOU'RE the one who didn't do any research. Karpyshyn himself said that he didn't change anything about the exile. Just because Nyriss was able to overpower her doesn't mean she was weak in the novel. It means Nyriss was that powerful. Also, KOTOR II and other mentions of the exile say that she was Revan's follower. Did u not notice the majority of the dialogue options when the exile argues with Atris about the mand. wars? They all have her praising Revan.

Also, I didn't see anything wrong with the way the exile was killed off, and I'm a huge KOTOR series fan. Even the strongest characters in a story can die because of a betrayal of someone they trust. It happens in all sorts of stories, not just in star wars.

Actually it is canon that The Exile is female.

"G0-T0 soon became mixed up with an exiled Jedi Knight and her mission to destroy the Sith Lords."

―From the entry on the G0-T0 droid, p. 25[src]

"Five standard years later, T3-M4 appeared aboard the abandoned freighter Ebon Hawk, where he fell into the company of the heroine known only as the Jedi Exile."

―From the entry on the T3 droid, p. 37[src]

"Five years after the Star Forge incident, HK-47 teamed up with the heroine known as the Jedi Exile to battle a trio of Sith Lords."

―From the entry on the HK assassin droid, p. 107[src]

This means all further canonical printed references to the character will describe the Exile as female. -Wookiepedia

Also, I doubt we'll see Nihilus again as he is A. dead and B. the same as the Emperor on a lesser scale.

I am sorry I wrote that fast and didn't go over it , I will be the first to admit being a person who has to multitask while playing the game and forum posting . Being I am a father of three kids , its very hard for me to be of decent grammar while rushing my post and still trying to injoy TOR or any game .

I was also waiting on a HM group to start moving .

Excuses aside I ment to say "Now" not "Not" as you can see under I called Exile a "Her" .

Again I am sorry for that mistake and totally own it.

YOU'RE the one who didn't do any research. Karpyshyn himself said that he didn't change anything about the exile. Just because Nyriss was able to overpower her doesn't mean she was weak in the novel. It means Nyriss was that powerful. Also, KOTOR II and other mentions of the exile say that she was Revan's follower. Did u not notice the majority of the dialogue options when the exile argues with Atris about the mand. wars? They all have her praising Revan.

Also, I didn't see anything wrong with the way the exile was killed off, and I'm a huge KOTOR series fan. Even the strongest characters in a story can die because of a betrayal of someone they trust. It happens in all sorts of stories, not just in star wars.

I don't think Surik's story is any less important than Revan's , I also believe that she was as she was in KotoR II as she was in the Revan Novel . She is a person who seemed to put others always before her . Now that being said I think her Character will still have life through past tense workings that take place before Revan's Novel . We can only hope that "if" Revan is still alive taht she will also be just as much apart of that story.

I was upset and felt cheated that Surik is only seen on the Republic end .

I personally am hoping we will see more of KotoR characters in both games in TOR by lore or flashbacks. who is to know :D

Karpyshyn simply avoided the multiple questions put forth to him by many a user back when it was released about whether or not he had played the game or learnt the actual canonical background of the Exile.

Karpyshyn later admitted to having never played KotOR II and that he had minimal time to write the Revan novel as he was working on other projects, he states so in his own blog.

It seems to me you didn't bother to read my posts, here is how Karpyshyn portrayed her in the book: a Jedi whom engaged in lightsaber combat and NEVER used the force.

All her canonical abilities and feats point to her being a powerful Force User most probably a Jedi Consular(although that last part is merely conjecture.), she never once used in the Revan novel, any of the abilities she was noted to have used frequently.

I don't care about her losing a battle, I am merely pointing out the obvious flaws with how Karpyshyn decided to portray the Exile, or as she is now known, Meetra Surik.

Yes she followed a Jedi Knight Revan into war, but not because of Revan but because of the genocide of the Cathar committed by the Mandalorians, that shocking point in the war drove her to ignore the council and do what she could, she did not do it for Revan, she didn't even know Revan before the war.

Another point is that Surik became close friends with Revan throughout the war, but they rarely saw each other because they were in entirely different fleets when she was promoted to Jedi general, she had her own fleet she was commanding in multiple battles like Dxun and Malachor V, both battles she won for the Republic.

Also I would like to point out, she did not praise Revan because those dialogue options are all Dark Side choices, the canonical Exile admitted her guilt freely and accepted their judgements, seems you need to do some research.

As a matter of fact, the Light Side options in all her conversations about Revan, backed up with the statements in the KotOR Campaign Guide have her judging Revan for falling and stating she could feel all of them falling to the Dark Side through the war, not only that but completely agreeing with the Jedi Council.

As a matter of fact it is stated that Surik duelled Revan on his flagship when she finally saw him again and he tried to convince her to join his cause, she denied him and they battled, half way through she just walked away in tears and de-activated her lightsaber, it states very clearly she felt abandoned by him for the rest of the war and realised why the Council didn't want to go to war.

She LEFT Revan after Malachor V and went back to the Jedi Council where she was judged for her crimes and Exiled, she did not follow him again, in-fact she finally came into her own once she had left him as a Jedi Master almost a decade after the war and is the sole person responsible for the Republic and the Jedi Order being rebuilt and having a chance of survival.

She chose to find Revan and finally reveal what happened to him.

She was in no way just a sidekick, if she was she would have blindly followed him, turned to the Dark Side instead of severing herself from the force like all the other Jedi who survived did and followed him into the Jedi Civil War, but she didn't now, did she.

And I have no problem with her dying either, it was the manner in which she died, the entire thing just stank of being a promo to make Vitiate and SWTOR look epic and be a must buy.

Just admit it, Karpyshyn messed up royally with the 'Revan' novel, and not just with the Exile, there are PLENTY of KotOR and Revan fans who all despise that badly written promo segment, they completely ignore it and this game and frankly I don't blame them.

Karpyshyn took the Exile and completely degraded her.

Karpyshyn took the great Revan and turned him into a tool of the Emperor and a complete madman in SWTOR.

And even worse, he took the whole of the KotOR series and made it either completely unimportant or just a staging area for SWTOR, he didn't even do it well.

Okay So I have an unbiased opinion here.

I love both kotor games, they are fun and entertaining, not to mention both have great stories. However I never was like one more than the other.

As for the book, I read it and loved it, but I did have problems with it, and most of my problems were with the exile A.K.A. Mitra, most the book that she was in, her character did feel wrong. Most the time in the fighting, she was shown as weak. And while in her death, she gave revan Strength, to fight the emperor in his mind, her death was also kinda dumb, had the author wrote it somewhat like this.

"All of Mitra's focus was on the emperor, waiting for him to make a move, but still she felt the force warn her of danger behind, she turned and raised her lightsaber in defense, bit it was to late, scourge's lightsaber bit deep into her gut, she looked into his face emotionless face as life left her."

Even that I think would have made it better, but I don't have time to write all my complainants, might come back and do that later:p

Karpyshyn took the great Revan and turned him into a tool of the Emperor and a complete madman in SWTOR.

'the great' Revan was a creation of KOTOR2, completely different writing team, and they also wanted to go in a completely seperate direction than Bioware did. Once it left Obsidian's hands, they had to ignore some stuff that wasn't in their plan.

All Karpshyn did was bring him back into what he originally was. A powerful Jedi as opposed to a demigodly Skywalker-type.

Frankly I'm surprised they kept ANY of the stuff that happened in KOTOR2.

'the great' Revan was a creation of KOTOR2, completely different writing team, and they also wanted to go in a completely seperate direction than Bioware did. Once it left Obsidian's hands, they had to ignore some stuff that wasn't in their plan.

All Karpshyn did was bring him back into what he originally was. A powerful Jedi as opposed to a demigodly Skywalker-type.

Frankly I'm surprised they kept ANY of the stuff that happened in KOTOR2.

Just an FYI, Bioware/LucasArts as opposed to letting Obsidian play the first game, gave them a very quick summary of the original, it was not till they were six months away from release that they got to actually play the first game, and the summary they received came with clear-cut instructions that basically said, Revan is the major hero of the time, your main character served with Revan, Revan has disappeared and you finding him is the main point/end of your game, do whatever else you want.

BioWare very clearly wanted Obsidian to treat Revan the way they did, the reasons for this are now quite clear, they had been planning and even developing KotOR 3 at the same time as Obsidian was finishing/releasing KotOR II, then KotOR 3 was cancelled, we now know that bad times for LucasArts weren't the sole reason.

You guys do know that a character's statement isn't actual canon?

I think allot of guys are acting like Kreia is the greatest.

I was going to point that out, but thought pointing out how much lack of control Obsidian had over Revan would be more telling.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I think Obisidian did a great job with TSL. I also heard that they didn't get a chance to play the original. I wonder how they managed that.

The way they depicted Jedi, and Sith in TSL was second to none, I believe. It was very touching. There was a strong emphasis on morality. It involved ancient lore, and the force was presented in a classic way.

What I like about SWTOR is the art-style. The environment goes with the other games. I still get the feeling I am in TSL. I like when they use the music.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I feel Drew did a good job making Revan and The Exile believable characters as opposed to super powered video game characters. I also can't believe people are basing The Exiles powers and abilities on her entry from the Star Wars Saga Edition KotOR campaign guide, need I remind you that those books are non-canon and Wizards of the Coast had the license revoked by LFL.

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I feel Drew did a good job making Revan and The Exile believable characters as opposed to super powered video game characters. I also can't believe people are basing The Exiles powers and abilities on her entry from the Star Wars Saga Edition KotOR campaign guide, need I remind you that those books are non-canon and Wizards of the Coast had the license revoked by LFL.

Character suicide=/=believable characters.

And yet it is used as a regular source of knowledge for MANY things, including Wookieepedia, it is canon, and has been used as canon for years.

Those source books are so full of errors it's not even funny so using them as the basis for your info is questionable at best. I'll give you an example of those errors, The entry for Calo Nord says he died on Taris, as I recall he left Davik Kang to die and you meet up with him later on Tatooine where you finally kill him. I know it's hard to see your favorite characters not live up to your lofty expectations but it happens and you just need to get over it, it's just a book.

Those source books are so full of errors it's not even funny so using them as the basis for your info is questionable at best. I'll give you an example of those errors, The entry for Calo Nord says he died on Taris, as I recall he left Davik Kang to die and you meet up with him later on Tatooine where you finally kill him. I know it's hard to see your favorite characters not live up to your lofty expectations but it happens and you just need to get over it, it's just a book.

I would go and look up Karen Traviss' works before you start dismissing canon because of errors, by that logic, the Star Wars saga is 'questionable' because of the plot-hole with Leia's mother.

'Lofty expectations'=/=Canonical facts ignored.