Arsenal Merc vs Rage Juggernaut

Berlik

I have a Arsenal Merc and a Rage Juggernaut at 50 about the same gear level. Come post 1.2 what would u recommend a raid would need more or benefit more from. An arsenal merc or a rage juggernaut. I love both characters and cant choose one. Please help a buddy out with his decision.

thanks

berlik ( the fatman server )

Merc will provide more steady dps, especially in melee unfriendly fights.

Juggernaut will come with Intercede and a Sunder debuff, both of which have excellent raid utility. I would consider dual specing Vengeance and Rage and parse both.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter in the long run considering how easy the content really is. My suggestion would be take the one you feel better skilled with, or take the class that helps benefit the raid more (do you need a Warrior Buff or Hunter Buff? Are you already heavy in one class, making loot more difficult to obtain for everyone in it? Etc...)

Edited by Toogeloo

Merc will provide more steady dps, especially in melee unfriendly fights.

Juggernaut will come with Intercede and a Sunder debuff, both of which have excellent raid utility. I would consider dual specing Vengeance and Rage and parse both.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter in the long run considering how easy the content really is. My suggestion would be take the one you feel better skilled with, or take the class that helps benefit the raid more (do you need a Warrior Buff or Hunter Buff? Are you already heavy in one class, making loot more difficult to obtain for everyone in it? Etc...)

The "do you need a hunter buff or a warrior buff" is moot... Since he has both a hunter and a warrior at lvl 50 then he will be providing both buffs to his team with every use of the ability.

The Arsenal Merc also gives the same 20% armor debuff (with tracer missle) as the Jugg does with sunder (I *might* be mistaken, but I am pretty sure they are functionally identical)

But your comment of "Honestly, it doesn't really matter in the long run considering how easy the content really is. My suggestion would be take the one you feel better skilled with" is spot on. Play what you are best at when the team needs your best, when your best is not needed (either because everyone is over geared for the current task, or the rest of the team's skill level is sufficient to make the task less difficult) then play the other toon untill you get them both to your desired skill/comfort level.

The "do you need a hunter buff or a warrior buff" is moot... Since he has both a hunter and a warrior at lvl 50 then he will be providing both buffs to his team with every use of the ability.
This was more in reference to whether the raid has a Warrior or Hunter or not. If he has the only potential Warrior in the raid, he should play the Jugg so he offers the buff to the raid. Same reason if he has the only Hunter. If they have a Warrior or Hunter, then he can play what he has the most skill with.

To give you an example, I have a Juggernaut, Assassin, and Operative all at level 50. I play my Operative more though because I am the only Agent in our raid force.

• 2 weeks later...

Prob Merc. Pure DPS output is higher, the only advantage a Jugg has is potential off-tank abilities.

Heatseeker is pretty freaking awesome now, I know it was only a 10% boost, but that 10% is quite noticeable.

This was more in reference to whether the raid has a Warrior or Hunter or not. If he has the only potential Warrior in the raid, he should play the Jugg so he offers the buff to the raid. Same reason if he has the only Hunter. If they have a Warrior or Hunter, then he can play what he has the most skill with.

To give you an example, I have a Juggernaut, Assassin, and Operative all at level 50. I play my Operative more though because I am the only Agent in our raid force.

You seem to be missing the point of the Legacy allowing us to buff the group with the buffs from any character you've gotten past Act 2.

IE; Levelled a Juggernaut first? All of your characters now have the might buff. Levelled a Mercenary second? All of your characters now have the might and boon buff. And so on.

• 1 month later...
Jugg is more versatile due to off-tanking as said above, but it depends on which one you're better at. If your Jugg is well kitted out and you have a fair bit of experience, you should be able to fill just about any non-healing role short of a full tank. In fact, i've even filled in as tank once or twice. I got belted, but it was doable. If you're better at Merc though, probably best you stick to that. Juggs can be a pretty complex beast, as you probably know by now.

IMO, I also have a 50 Jugg and 50 Aresenal Merc, I feel my damage output with merc is by far better then Jugg, however, whenever I do decide to dps with the Jugg I always take the multi tanking off tank, because with rage spec you have a massive aoe damage output, plus you can also be an extra guard for healers or someone who just pulls a lot of threat. But I rarely ever try and DPS with Jugg, because compared to my merc playing abilities its rediculous. But Jugg is more fun when I get to tank.