Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Thats the best graphics there is?

Benage

In a nutshell; how do I improve the graphics quality further than the ingame options allow? I stand in fleet at 90fps and do pvp at ~50fps, this cant be the best this game can offer?

EDIT: to elaborate, I've read a few places about editting ini files but I cant find anything more recent than 3 months ago and I was also wondering if anyone who keeps track of news knows of any upcomining improvements.

Edited by Benage

High Frames Per Second does not equal better looking graphics.

I you want the best looking graphics, don't worry about the FPS meter and just turn everything up. In patch 1.2 they are introducing more settings and better looking player models. The quality of your video card and your Monitor also play a part in how well things look.

If you want to see how high your FPS meter will go, turn all of the graphics settings as low as they will go.

I haven't searched myself, but I know there is a way to further the draw distance. Beyond that, you can force AA.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/20/enhance-your-graphics-in-star-wars-the-old-republic-with-these-simple-steps/

12x didn't work for me, but 4x did.

Basically, you are looking to edit:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client_settings.ini

(my default directory with Win 7)

I you want the best looking graphics, don't worry about the FPS meter and just turn everything up. In patch 1.2 they are introducing more settings and better looking player models.

Erm, I meant was FPS was high, like, I dont need it that high. It almost annoys me that Im running around at high fps with bad graphics, almost like I havent actually set my graphics to their best potential, when infact the options just dont exist.

1.2 brining more settings sounds good, as long as those settings offer better quality options, not just some crap like changing AA from "off, low, high" to "off, 1x, 2x".

I haven't searched myself, but I know there is a way to further the draw distance. Beyond that, you can force AA.

Done both of those already, what irritates me most is shadow quality and texture resolution :/ like my pc cost quite alot of money and its capable of really good quality graphics, why is this game wasting those resources. Having to force AA to 16x by itself is pretty fail.

Edited by Benage

In a nutshell; how do I improve the graphics quality further than the ingame options allow? I stand in fleet at 90fps and do pvp at ~50fps, this cant be the best this game can offer?

EDIT: to elaborate, I've read a few places about editting ini files but I cant find anything more recent than 3 months ago and I was also wondering if anyone who keeps track of news knows of any upcomining improvements.

why not use vsync?

why not use vsync?

I normally do, I kinda measure graphic potential in fps. If at low graphics I get 50fps then Im not gonna get the graphics very high, if at low graphics I get 100 fps then I can turn them up, if I get 150 fps I can probably jack them right up to the max.

So, to jack them up to the max and still see 100fps is kinda... ***

But hey, new graphics in 1.2 apparently? I guess Ill just wait it out :)

The game caps FPS at 111.1 iirc. Your logic is flawed. FPS and quality, while CAN be related, are different things and many other factors affect your FPS than just textures. Shadows are the biggest draw on FPS in any game.

But yes, 1.2 adds higher level textures that can make you feel better by lowering your FPS? Am I to understand you are disappointed that you have things turned up high and still have great fps? ***?

I normally do, I kinda measure graphic potential in fps. If at low graphics I get 50fps then Im not gonna get the graphics very high, if at low graphics I get 100 fps then I can turn them up, if I get 150 fps I can probably jack them right up to the max.

So, to jack them up to the max and still see 100fps is kinda... ***

But hey, new graphics in 1.2 apparently? I guess Ill just wait it out :)

I see your problem.... any game which will run at 35+ FPS is going to be smooth. If you somehow could not see what the FPS is actually, I bet you would think so too. And by the way, I would'nt trust the FPS meter in TOR. I have Vsync on and should not go above 60 fps. But it runs a consistently 74 - 80 fps. In WoW however..it stays at 60 FPS and occasionally will go to 61 and quickly drop back down to 60.

If you want the game to look better, try editing the client_setting.ini file and making the following adjustment:

TextureQuality = 0

That should make the game use higher resolution textures for some things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.