The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who thinks this game will last 10yrs?

Rastellon

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion. This game will be free to play at best in 5yrs if they do not do a massive overhall . With the legitimate effort being made by other mmo companies this year to make a game that will last 10yrs its shocking that this game has not come out with the 1.2 patch yet.

For them to say this game will last 10 years is interesting. I hope they live up to the hype.

Well, considering the whiners had it ftp by last month, I'm thinking a step up to five years is a good thing. ;p

Beyond that, no one has any idea how long it will last because the game we are playing today is not the game we will be playing tomorrow. MMORPGs are ever evolving so it is entirely up to the efforts of the development team.

Yeah UO was actually fun and had replayability. Even wow is better than swtor.

UO was a a horrible, horrible game that existed only because it was the first of its kind. It had no rhyme or reason. It was stagnant. At its best it was a griefing guild's playground.

welcome to star wars...instead of improving obvious things that need fixed..we give you the option to make one character and your other characters brothers...yayyyyyyyy..*** am i 12 years old?

LOL

Perhaps you should read all of the 1.2 patch notes. I see much more than just the legacy system in there.

As to your question no you are definitely not 12 years old. A 12 year old would use capitals and punctuation.

LOL

Perhaps you should read all of the 1.2 patch notes. I see much more than just the legacy system in there.

As to your question no you are definitely not 12 years old. A 12 year old would use capitals and punctuation.

Honestly. The vast majority of hate posts that I'm reading here are like the one you highlighted. Basically nonsense arguments founded in a base of conjecture, logical fallacy, and ignorance.

It is possible that it will be around in some fashion, maybe F2P but it will not be nearly as popular as WoW is right now after 10 years. That game set the standard back in it's time and after this long people have too much invested into it to quit now.

It is possible that it will be around in some fashion, maybe F2P but it will not be nearly as popular as WoW is right now after 10 years. That game set the standard back in it's time and after this long people have too much invested into it to quit now.

Umm WoW is losing subscribers at a scary rate Blizzard is laying off employees people over on the MoP beta are saying how boring it is. WoW was a good game but those days have past. I doubt we will see TOR go F2P any time soon; Daniel Erickson said on his Google plus channel a few days back that subs are still growing and that isn't even a remote possibility.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

because mmos get away with releasing a car missing the back seat, a radio, and a trunk that is stuck closed. but they promise if you buy the car and make payments on a service plan they will add the radio and backseat and fix trunk when they get around to it, but you have to buy the broken car first.

your astounding attempt at comparison fails in one meaningful way.

The car would have been sold having those features, a la the sales/spec sticker stating what you get for the money.... aside from small bugs in the code or a ripple in the paint here and there, you know what you get feature wise.

If you chose to then buy the car with the faults and agree to pay... why the hell would you then go on their website and complain???

Also, since the game here came with a beta, and now a free trial... you saw what you were getting... yet you still choose to pay for it until they fix it....

hence... car = not same as game as the game hasn't stated you get x, y, z and failed to deliver as your car analogy.

soooooooo, in both your comparative properties, who is the key factor for the poor choices.

Honestly. The vast majority of hate posts that I'm reading here are like the one you highlighted. Basically nonsense arguments founded in a base of conjecture, logical fallacy, and ignorance.

Exactly. Astroturfing seems to be a big trend on forums these days. A shame really. If I hate something I just don't do it! I don't go on to forums and whine and complain and bash it either.

If that was the case I would have no time to live let alone enjoy life. There would be no time to do anything else but complain.

I guess those who are not astroturfing must lead very sad and miserable lives. Trying to make others hate something just because you do is insane!

They hate the game yet are supporting it by paying for the privilege to post. Funny thing is if the game becomes super popular these same nay sayers will be flouting the founders title saying they were here supporting the game from the beginning.

I do find it amazing at how many skilled armchair MMO builders we have on these forums. No MMO is ever perfect nor will it ever be. I have yet to see a perfect video game. The key is find a game you enjoy and want to play.

Constructive criticism goes a long way for players to get their way. The community spoke with one voice and Bioware listened. Complaints addressed were use of speeders in space ports and orbital stations, ship droids talking too much, quick travel to ships and to planets. There are several other examples in the 1.2 patch notes on PTR.

I am finding this thread very entertaining.

I find it funny how many people are astroturfing on these forums. Must be very hard for people to live such sad and unsatisfying lives.

Now to the person who said SWG shutdown because they lost the license. That is an untrue statement. They did not lose the license they chose not to renew it. Sony released a statement stating that they wanted to focus on their own IP in the future and it was their decision not to renew. Search the net for their statement!

This game will be just fine. I know players who only play MMO's on weekends and some even log in once or twice a month because they are busy with life. Just because servers seem dead does not mean they lack sub accounts.

To those who keep saying they keep publishing phony numbers and statistics. They are a publicly traded company. Feel free to look up laws and penalties for lying to your investors.

To those who are armchair programers, game designers, writers and professional know it alls. Since you are all such experts why are you not employed at Bioware or for that matter any game company. With such expertise you must have the credentials to get a job at any MMO developer. I mean playing for X amount of years must mean you are all knowing when it comes to MMO. If you lack expertise why not invest in the game? Surely if you became a big enough investor you could force Bioware to do things your way!

As to the few who said Bioware do not read the boards or listen to the players. Are you kidding me? Why do you think there are too many servers? Players whined and cried about queue times until Bioware caved and added extra servers. If you don't believe me feel free to search the word queue and read those threads. Too many servers can be

blamed on Bioware and the players equally.

Much of update 1.2 is based on player input. Just because Bioware did not reply to your thread or a comment in a thread does not mean someone isn't listening. There is a whole thread full of responses given by the Dev team to player threads. They even have this thread in one convenient spot for players to peruse and see the feed back rather than searching individual threads page by page.

Don't get me wrong I am not defending Bioware I think they dropped the ball and released this game 6 months too early because of EA and investor pressure. That said I am glad to see that the game is getting the much needed improvements it needs to qualify as a AAA MMO. I think 1.2 should have been where beta began and after 2 months more of polish the game released. That said I am having a blast playing the game and am glad it released early.

I have never played an MMO that started off exceptional. Most of them did not even start off as good. It took time and the players and Dev team working side by side to make them good and some even great. It is amazing what constructive criticism can achieve not to mention following procedures.

This game will be fine now and in the future. As to the original question will it last 10 years? My answer: WHO CARES, enjoy the ride while it lasts!

My one final thought to those who are astroturfing. Thank you for paying for an account and financially supporting this game. I do find it pathetic people would pay 15 bucks a month just to bash a game, whatever floats your boat I guess! This does not apply to those with constructive criticism.

I can counter your entire wall of text very simply.

I do not think this game is fun or worth 15$ a month.

My opinion is as valid ,if less wordy, as yours.

No need for emotional fights between haters and fanboys. The relatively short feature list speaks for itself. The server population fiasco speaks for itself. The 2005 cartoonish graphics do the rest. I can not defend this game, when I bought it, there was no trial. End of story, gametime card running out end of April.

Hello everyone,

We've removed a number of posts from this thread and would like to remind everyone of the rules of conduct in the forums.

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when posting and ensure your posts are on topic, constructive and respectful.

Thank you.

yet you are here... so are you paying $15 dollars a month? Or not?

I have explained before but I will indulge the forums one more time tonight.

Yes , I paid 90 bucks for a digital deluxe edition.

I did not resubscribe after the initial 30 days.

I just came back 2 weeks ago, mostly to get the founder title, but also to give gameplay a second shot and see if controls were more responsive after the initial "big rush" was over.

I payed for one month and have already re cancelled my account, with no intent to return.

I am not a happy consumer. I will continue to vote with my wallet.

Umm WoW is losing subscribers at a scary rate Blizzard is laying off employees people over on the MoP beta are saying how boring it is. WoW was a good game but those days have past. I doubt we will see TOR go F2P any time soon; Daniel Erickson said on his Google plus channel a few days back that subs are still growing and that isn't even a remote possibility.

Sure, that is true now but remember we are talking about a game that is 10 years old and it still have more subscribers than most modern MMOs. And I am not implying SWTOR is going F2P tomorrow, the topic is TEN YEARS FROM now. It is hard for games to last a few years these days, let alone 10 and still have a growing player base.

I have explained before but I will indulge the forums one more time tonight.

Yes , I paid 90 bucks for a digital deluxe edition.

I did not resubscribe after the initial 30 days.

I just came back 2 weeks ago, mostly to get the founder title, but also to give gameplay a second shot and see if controls were more responsive after the initial "big rush" was over.

I payed for one month and have already re cancelled my account, with no intent to return.

I am not a happy consumer. I will continue to vote with my wallet.

so, you paid 90 bucks... then canceled for 'unresponsive controls' ...then came back and paid what, $15 bucks for 30 days?

so over a 100 bucks on something you had no idea if you would like or not...yet still post here for what, good measure?...and now you want to vote with your wallet...

:rolleyes:

I think you did already.

Edited by skinthinner

I doubt it.

The momentum came to a full stop in the first month of release. They got all their christmas sales and subs after the first month and immediately went into maintenance mode.

1.2 will simply bring back the features that had to get cut just before launch.

After that, SWTOR will repeat the path of WAR.

so, you paid 90 bucks... then canceled for 'unresponsive controls' ...then came back and paid what, $15 bucks for 30 days?

so over a 100 bucks on something you had no idea if you would like or not...yet still post here for what, good measure?...and now you want to vote with your wallet...

I think you did already.

I'm pretty sure EA/Bioware's plan was to retain subscribers.

I am of course only one person, but they have failed in their objective to retain me as a subscriber.

I am of course only one person, but they have failed in their objective to retain me as a subscriber.

I'm pretty sure MMO producers know that they cannot possibly please every customer in a million+ customer base. Some will not remain. It's the nature of the business, given the wide range of customer tastes, preferences, objectivity, etc.

Edited by Andryah

yeah, no company ever counted on people spending over 100 dollars within 60 days to reinburse their costs...

spin it however you want... they got some of what what they need from you... and here you are, STILL posting on their forums... and I guarantee you will be back paying for more time soon enough.

Edited by skinthinner