Why do the biggest issues get the least feedback?

Reevax

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be a trend in this game. There are several major issues that impact all of us. We see people posting on the boards about these issues non stop. Yet Bioware never seems to address these issues.

I am not sure why certain things have to be protected like State secrets. Just tell us what options you are looking at an a general time frame.

It may even save a couple of subs in the process.

Timeframes lead only to complaints when they are not met.

Most issues posted on the forum have already long been addressed in an older thread.

They feel no reason to respond unless the issue is serious enough to warrant it, because they probably already know about it.

The issue is infact a matter of personal opinion and something they do not agree with changing.

Take your pick on any of those options.

I've seen them respond to big issues that matter /shrug

1. server population (server merges/toon transfers, etc...) - no answer at this time

^--Answered at Guild Summit, they are working on transfers but do not have a timeframe.

2. faction imbalance - no answer at this time

^--Answered at Guild Summit, Population Balance across all servers was roughly 40%+Rep, 50%+ Imperial. They also stated that they will not do anything into forcing players to play something they do not want.

3. UI customization - fixed in 2.1

^--Fixed in 1.2, what? How is this unresolved?

4. dual spec - no answer at this time

^---Guild Summit

5. ability delay - this is a biggy and not sure if it is completely fixed yet

^---Guild Summit

6. LFG tool - no answer at this time

^---Guild Summit // Coming in 1.3

7. nothing left to do at max level - somewhat fixed in 2.1

^---Guild Summit//1.2

8. raid difficulty (too easy) - hopefully fixed in 2.1

^---Guild Summit//1.2

9. instancing (orbital stations, loading screens, etc...) - I do not believe this is going to be addressed

^---Something that they do not consider an issue.

10. poor customer service (static answers to tickets) - this is subjective so I can not answer this

There you go.

Edited by Viera

+1 for great truth

We do have a right to know whats being done to fix certain issues, just like we would for any other product we are paying for.

Actually no you don't. See the main thing all you guys whining on this forums about Bioware not disclosing any and everything to you forget is that you don't own SWTOR.

You own a plastic disk, maybe a little statue, some books. You pay monthly to be able to use a product, not to own it.

Your 15/mo doesn't give you rights to anything accept the ability to log onto THEIR servers, THEIR game, THEIR story, THEIR content and THEIR products.

Look at it like this. Your a tenant in an apartment complex, you pay your rent monthly to live there. If the OWNER of the apartment complex comes in and wants to paint your walls Purple and pink with Hello kitty pictures all over them. You cannot say a dang thing, you can leave, but you are not entitled to a why, and you most defiantly can't tell him he can't change his own property.

Get real people. Enjoy what you are receiving, however little it might be, but please stop going on some power trip thinking that you own anything accept whats sitting on your shelf at home.

Actually no you don't. See the main thing all you guys whining on this forums about Bioware not disclosing any and everything to you forget is that you don't own SWTOR.

You own a plastic disk, maybe a little statue, some books. You pay monthly to be able to use a product, not to own it.

Your 15/mo doesn't give you rights to anything accept the ability to log onto THEIR servers, THEIR game, THEIR story, THEIR content and THEIR products.

Look at it like this. Your a tenant in an apartment complex, you pay your rent monthly to live there. If the OWNER of the apartment complex comes in and wants to paint your walls Purple and pink with Hello kitty pictures all over them. You cannot say a dang thing, you can leave, but you are not entitled to a why, and you most defiantly can't tell him he can't change his own property.

Get real people. Enjoy what you are receiving, however little it might be, but please stop going on some power trip thinking that you own anything accept whats sitting on your shelf at home.

+1 for great truth

As far as server populations go, the devs are looking into this. They just have to figure out several more issues that pop up whenever servers are merged.

Which servers to combine to create a better pub/imp balance.

What happens when there are 3 people named Bob after the servers merge?

What happens when there are 3 people with the Smith legacy after the servers merge?

What happens when someone has characters on both servers and it takes them over the 8 character limit?

What happens when someone has characters on both servers and both have different legacy names?

And I'm sure there are plenty of other questions as well that I have not posted. It is not a simple, waive the magic wand and servers are merged issue like some people seem to make it out to be.

WOW that looks like whining to me!

However, the thing you fail to realise is this...without people whining about the quality or whatever other reason for them to stand up and complain, you would not have the very things these people bring us with their whining.

The old saying, the squeeky wheel gets the most oil.

When your tenant walks away from your apartment because you failed to have any respect for them by not discussing your plans to make changes to something they have to 'live in', you can tell your bank to stop whining!

Edited by Nudge_

9. instancing (orbital stations, loading screens, etc...) - I do not believe this is going to be addressed

Being addressed in 1.2. From the patch notes on test.....

The Imperial Transportation Authority and the Galactic Republic Safety Council have authorized the use of vehicles in Orbital Space Stations and Spaceports. ....

On planets with an Orbital Station, players can now travel directly from the planet shuttle on the surface to their ship.

My understanding is they are working on getting rid of the orbital stations but this is an easier work around until that is done.

Bioware and the team that made this (the warhammer team) are just not up to the challenge. They're so focused on putting out products that they don't understand the basics of customer service. Well, the product is out, the customer service is not there, and for an mmo that means death.

It's unfortunate, this game could be freaking awesome, and idk how they plan to explain the loss they take on the investment. Unless of course they start handling subscriber complaints.

1. server population (server merges/toon transfers, etc...) - no answer at this time

^--Answered at Guild Summit, they are working on transfers but do not have a timeframe.

^--Answered at Guild Summit, Population Balance across all servers was roughly 40%+Rep, 50%+ Imperial. They also stated that they will not do anything into forcing players to play something they do not want.

^--Fixed in 1.2, what? How is this unresolved?

^---Guild Summit

^---Guild Summit

^---Guild Summit // Coming in 1.3

^---Guild Summit//1.2

^---Guild Summit//1.2

10. poor customer service (static answers to tickets) - this is subjective so I can not answer this

There you go.

"1. server population (server merges/toon transfers, etc...) - no answer at this time

^--Answered at Guild Summit, they are working on transfers but do not have a timeframe."

This is the main problem people are complaining about and quite frankly that answer is 100% unacceptable. They have thousands upon thousands of subscribers not getting what they are paying for. It's so sad to see all of these people getting 50% of what they are paying for. There is no good MMO experience to be had on a dead server and most of the servers are in fact ghost towns. Patch 1.2 is irrelevant to me because i won't be enjoying any new content on my dead server and i'm sure many others feel the same way. The Burden should not be on the customer. We are left with a few horrible choices as paying customers right now. We can continue to play on our DEAD servers(wait for MONTHS), reroll or quit.

"1. server population (server merges/toon transfers, etc...) - no answer at this time

^--Answered at Guild Summit, they are working on transfers but do not have a timeframe."

This is the main problem people are complaining about and quite frankly that answer is 100% unacceptable. They have thousands upon thousands of subscribers not getting what they are paying for. It's so sad to see all of these people getting 50% of what they are paying for. There is no good MMO experience to be had on a dead server and most of the servers are in fact ghost towns. Patch 1.2 is irrelevant to me because i won't be enjoying any new content on my dead server and i'm sure many others feel the same way. The Burden should not be on the customer. We are left with a few horrible choices as paying customers right now. We can continue to play on our DEAD servers(wait for MONTHS), reroll or quit.

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean that the devs are ignoring it, which is the point of this thread.

WOW that looks like whining to me!

However, the thing you fail to realize is this...without people whining about the quality or whatever other reason for them to stand up and complain, you would not have the very things these people bring us with their whining.

The old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the most oil.

When your tenant walks away from your apartment because you failed to have any respect for them by not discussing your plans to make changes to something they have to 'live in', you can tell your bank to stop whining!

When my tenants walk away I will just get more by advertising my new hello kitty apartments. Also they would be breaking their lease agreement thus I would be able to keep their security deposit.

The old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the most oil, is a great one, but sadly your using it in the wrong context. For one, A wheel serves one singular purpose, by greasing it, you improve its ability to do its job, and you also reduce the annoying sound that potentially bothers you.

The consumer base on an MMO, is not a squeaky wheel, there are too many people crying out for bioware to possibly be able to oil them all. As well, each one of them want different things. You oil one wheel, then seemingly the next wheels squeak is more dominant.

Your argument is flawed. Nice try though. You also completely ignored my original point too. Its biowares wheel, they don't care if it squeaks or not, so they are definitely not required to oil it just because the bird hitching a ride doesn't like the sound of it, because that bird could easily just fly away, while another comes in for the ride.

Edited by Tharenisis

+1 for great truth

We do have a right to know whats being done to fix certain issues, just like we would for any other product we are paying for.

We do not have a right to know whats being done to fix certain issues. The only product a consumer has a right to know every detail about is the product they own exclusive rights to. With regard to video games we don't own squat. We just buy into the MMO program then pay for the privilege to play every month. The only people who have a "right" to inside information are the people EA/BW/LA are paying to ensure their information stays on the inside. It's their property, their assets and their resources. Edited by GalacticKegger

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean that the devs are ignoring it, which is the point of this thread.

If you think that is an acceptable answer to a major problem that is threatening to destroy this games entire foundation than okay. I'm simply not okay with that. This is bigger than any content patch. This is bigger than anything they are currently working on yet they don't have a timeline for it. THEY HAVE A TIMELINE FOR 1.2 THOUGH. They do not have their priorities straight plain and simple. I don't see how anyone that can see the big picture could disagree with this

If you think that is an acceptable answer to a major problem that is threatening to destroy this games entire foundation than okay. I'm simply not okay with that. This is bigger than any content patch. This is bigger than anything they are currently working on yet they don't have a timeline for it. THEY HAVE A TIMELINE FOR 1.2 THOUGH. They do not have their priorities straight plain and simple. I don't see how anyone that can see the big picture could disagree with this
Hyperbole.

Bioware made the mistake of caving in to the rants in early access about login queues. Their knee jerk reaction was to add a buttload of servers at launch to lessen the queue times. What they should have done was ignore the impatient mob and simply follow their plan because they had it fixed in less than a month. The people who cried for more servers then are the same people who are crying for mergers now that server pops are unbalanced. They created their own mess but would rather finger point then be a part of the solution. If they are tomorrow's leaders then we're all hosed.

The game is fine and will continue improving as long as dev ignores the self annointed experts and sticks to their vision.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Hyperbole.

Bioware made the mistake of caving in to the rants in early access about login queues. Their knee jerk reaction was to add a buttload of servers at launch to thin the populations. What they should have done was ignore the impatient mob and simply follow their plan because they had it fixed in less than a month. The people who cried fail during queue hell are the same people who are crying fail now that server pops are unbalanced. They caused their own problem but would rather finger point then be a part of the solution.

The game is fine and will be fine as long as dev ignores the self proclaimed experts and sticks to their vision.

Agree. I was wondering what the hell they were thinking when they added a bunch of servers instead of just letting them stay busy and bring new servers on as needed. That is one of the times it is better to be reactive instead of proactive.

My opinion on if it is acceptable or not does not matter. This OP is complaining that the devs do not give us updates on what is going on with the "biggest" issues. Others have provided proof to show that they indeed have communicated answers and updates when they can.

If you don't like the answer, that is a different thread.

So reroll if you don't like your 'dead' server?

It is clearly a viable option since:

a)BioWare does not force you to play on said server

b)You are too impatient to wait for character transfer and

c)Nothing but your own refusal is stopping you.

They are not getting 50% of what they are paying for. They are getting what they paid for, nothing has, is, or will ever stop them from just rerolling on a different server. You know how character transfers work on most every other game? They cost money, that's how. You have to buy them. When that day comes, you'll complain about that too, so it is a lose-lose.

They have no reason to give people something for free that they will gladly pay for. Why? Because there is nothing at all stopping you from just starting over. There is nothing preventing you from moving to a server which has more population. You yourself are stopping you.

You rolled the dice and you lost, big deal. So did I. My server is fairly low population, but I don't care. I'm enjoying the time in the game with my friends and my guild without complaining. We discussed the prospect of moving whenever transfers came about, but it wont likely be needed with cross-server Warzone queue coming and server-wide LFG coming.

OK, a specific issue, SPACE COMBAT 100's of thousands of posts if you count pre launch, not a single dev dropped in in any of the threads if you count pre-launch.

Maybe, just maybe.. because Space Combat is NOT an issue? I know, shocking right? Star Wars Fox 64 was exactly what they advertised it to be and is exactly what is implemented right now. It is not an issue, it is a design decision.

You know they have the Dev tracker right? And the weekly Q&A where they ask you to ask questions about the 'why' of some of their things? How about you take the time and formulate an adult, to the point question like: "Why did Bioware choose to make Space Combat in SWTOR's launch version a rail shooter and not give us more control over the flight of our own ships in combat?"

As I said: Not an issue, a design choice.

HERE is the link regarding the character transfer system.

Haha so Legacy system that many people don't seem to like is the thing that make it harder for them to give us server transfer...

So they work on something they think will bring more people, when it is the other way...

MMO noobs is the right word for BW. How hard is it to look at other MMO's? Let's see what do people enjoy in this game? Hmm ok, lets not do that.. we should work on a new system that take more time and money...

since the OP is not going to list them, I will at least give my opinion on the big topics from order of importance (at least from my perspective):

Feel free to add / subtract / comment.

1. They have a transfer option in the works, but for the most part there hasn't been much said about server pops as a whole but they mostly have been about server imbalances between factions.

2. At the guild summit they address this, they said making the "other" (republic) faction more fun to play and they are working on this. So they are aware and have mentioned it.

3. True

4. Dual Spec has been answered and will be implemented, just not in 1.2. 1.3 or 1.4 maybe.

5. Ability Delay - This have been, for the most part, fixed. There are still some issues, but they are obviously still working out the kinks otherwise nothing would have been fixed.

6. LFG Tool - Again this was addressed. They've mentioned a cross-server que for pvp and flashpoints. This would alleviate a lot of server pop problems in regards to those specific instances. It's not just in the near future.

7. They are adding more content for high level players in 1.2 and will continue to do so (hopefully).

8. They are making 1.2 operations (not raids) more difficult and have said this numerous times.

9. This was addressed during the guild summit. They mentioned that they realize that problems and will continue to work on the issue. My belief is that orbital stations aren't there for "time" sinks as people say. I mean really an extra 20-30 seconds. That's not really a time sink. They are there, in my opinion, to be a gateway to other zones on the planet in the future.

There aren't as many loading screen as people say. To get from the fleet to a planet is really only two loading screens (to get on your ship and to get off your ship). The lifts aren't loading screens.

10. True.

So out of all of those comment most if not all have been address. Do some research.

Edited by swjoeyss

Haha so Legacy system that many people don't seem to like is the thing that make it harder for them to give us server transfer...

So they work on something they think will bring more people, when it is the other way...

MMO noobs is the right word for BW. How hard is it to look at other MMO's? Let's see what do people enjoy in this game? Hmm ok, lets not do that.. we should work on a new system that take more time and money...

Speak for yourself 'noob', I LOVE the idea of the Legacy system. And the only thing that makes it more complex is that every player after Chapter 1 has at least 2 unique names instead of 1.

Legacy System is getting good reviews from most people, except those elitist jerks who think they are cool but are actually so new in the MMO market that they are barely out of their newbie diapers and think all MMO's are and should be are e-peen meters.

Sorry, am I describing you too specifically there?

If you read your terms of service for this game, you would see that their only obligation to you in exchange for your subscription fee is access to the game.

Now, let's set that aside for a moment, because I'll speculate that the truth makes your blood boil.....the fact is that they have commented on many elements of the game where people do have issues or concerns. Not evey issue, but many of the issues. Many have in fact been addressed since launch, or will be addressed in the upcoming patch. And of course new ones arise as time progresses.

They have not commented formally on the server merge, server population threads. So what? Anything they might say will be immediately attacked. I am sure when they have a finalized plan as to how they plan to address server populations they WILL publish it. Until then, it would be pointless to respond to the threads in question with informal information. To assume that absence of comment means inaction or lack of care on their part is just silly.

Let's not pretend that they are pretending to not listen or be aware of subscriber concerns. Any reasonable person knows better. At the same time, let's not confuse the lack of a formal comment by Bioware as any indication one way or the other about how serious they consider things.

Believe me, the truth does not make my blood boil. I really couldn't care less about this game anymore, and am only posting on the forum from time to time if I feel like I can somehow contribute to the discussion. I really don't waste my time with meaningless flaming and bashing the game, believe me. If you like the game, then more power to ya.

Back on topic then. Sure, they aren't obliged to comment on anything. On the other hand, if they want to retain their customers and make them feel like those who get their money actually care, this utter silence and ignoration of what people are asking on the forums sure is not the way to go.

I have played a lot of MMOs up until now and the only other MMO where ignoring and not answering almost any questions asked by their paying customers was SWG, and we all know how that ended. Heck, even there the devs answered at least sometimes. This is, hands down, the worst treatment of customers I have ever encountered in any MMO I have played. Now I'm not saying I have played every single one of them, so it's entirely possible that there's a company that treats their customers even worse (if that's even possible) but I have played enough of them to say that this silence and ignoration is not an industry standard.

They can, of course, choose to be silent, but not every customer is going to be happy with that and in the end, the customer will take his or her money elsewhere. Some may not care, some may be happy that complainers are finally leaving, but let's see how many players are gonna be left for you to play with. The servers are empty enough as is, one would believe that BioWare would do their best to keep the ones left happy.

In this case, however, one would be wrong.

Edited by MartyCZE

Believe me, the truth does not make my blood boil. I really couldn't care less about this game anymore, and am only posting on the forum from time to time if I feel like I can somehow contribute to the discussion. I really don't waste my time with meaningless flaming and bashing the game, believe me. If you like the game, then more power to ya.

Back on topic then. Sure, they aren't obliged to comment on anything. On the other hand, if they want to retain their customers and make them feel like those who get their money actually care, this utter silence and ignoration of what people are asking on the forums sure is not the way to go.

I have played a lot of MMOs up until now and the only other MMO where ignoring and not answering almost any questions asked by their paying customers was SWG, and we all know how that ended. Heck, even there the devs answered at least sometimes. This is, hands down, the worst treatment of customers I have ever encountered in any MMO I have played. Now I'm not saying I have played every single one of them, so it's entirely possible that there's a company that treats their customers even worse (if that's even possible) but I have played enough of them to say that this silence and ignoration is not an industry standard.

They can, of course, choose to be silent, but not every customer is going to be happy with that and in the end, the customer will take his or her money elsewhere. Some may not care, some may be happy that complainers are finally leaving, but let's see how many players are gonna be left for you to play with. The servers are empty enough as is, one would believe that BioWare would do their best to keep the ones left happy.

In this case, however, one would be wrong.

I'm sorry, but you are just dead wrong. Bioware just had a Guild Summit, invited guildmasters to come and ask questions. They had a whole presentation that answered a lot of questions and streamed it FREE on the web, even blizzard charges for their web streams of blizzcon. After each section, they had a q & a session, answering some of the big questions. (For the most part they answered all of my big questions in the slide-show presentation).

Also, it seems you maybe unaware of this, but if you go to community>forums right on top there is the dev tracker. They don't respond? Just look at how many responses were given over the last week. Here is the link:

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

Also Bioware does something that I don't see most mmo's do and its the community q & a. The dev's respond WEEKLY to any questions that posted on that thread. And they do a good job of answering a variety of questions. Again here is the recent week's Q & A:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-march-23rd-2012

So in fact, you are completely wrong when you say that Bioware has the "worst treatment of customers" and that they are silent and ignorant towards us.

This is why I hate the forums and rarely post. It is riddled with misinformation from uninformed posters. It seems like a lot of you are expecting the devs to be on the forums 24/7. But the fact is, is that they are developers and are developing the game. If you want them to be on the forums all the time, fine, then don't whine that the patches are taking too long.

Edited by swjoeyss