Your thoughts on SWTOR as a whole

Livedtomato

I think it's off to a very good start. Certainly a better start than a lot of other MMOs I've played, some of which would go on to become favorites. There are still a few things that need to be addressed, but that is to be expected with any new MMO. TOR has a solid foundation to build on, and now it's on them to keep building. I feel good about the future of this game.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you expect, full motion control using your webcam?

Because that doesn't make you look crazy, does it?

How about something normal, yet more demanding?

Directinal attacks meaning that each skill hits harder only in certain positioning (some behind, some on sides, some even up front) So that movement and positioning matter in combat. You haver that in AOC (don't need to be combo attacks if that is to complicated for the average Joe and it's pet that also plays MMO's).

This adds a lot to individual skill in both, PVE and PVP.

Or how about skills that work better if fired within small time frame after other class skill. For example your skillA hit's for 500, but hits for 1000 if it lands within 5 sec after skillB that is not your class skill. This adds to teamwork skill again in both PVP and PVE.

Both of these could not be macroed or boted as both mechanics are making combat very situational and demand player awareness and focus. I tought of this in 5 min, so I guess team of talented and inventive people behind round desk could come up with much better ideas should they really choose to.

Or you can just use your WOW/TOR optimal rotation and keep yawning thinking this is best kind of gameplay mechanics playing industry could yield. People are not stupid and incompetent (some are but thats life) and modern games simply lack complexity and underestimate players with oversimplification of everything.

How about something normal, yet more demanding?

Directinal attacks meaning that each skill hits harder only in certain positioning (some behind, some on sides, some even up front) So that movement and positioning matter in combat. You haver that in AOC (don't need to be combo attacks if that is to complicated for the average Joe and it's pet that also plays MMO's).

This adds a lot to individual skill in both, PVE and PVP.

Or how about skills that work better if fired within small time frame after other class skill. For example your skillA hit's for 500, but hits for 1000 if it lands within 5 sec after skillB that is not your class skill. This adds to teamwork skill again in both PVP and PVE.

Both of these could not be macroed or boted as both mechanics are making combat very situational and demand player awareness and focus. I tought of this in 5 min, so I guess team of talented and inventive people behind round desk could come up with much better ideas should they really choose to.

Or you can just use your WOW/TOR optimal rotation and keep yawning thinking this is best kind of gameplay mechanics playing industry could yield. People are not stupid and incompetent (some are but thats life) and modern games simply lack complexity and underestimate players with oversimplification of everything.

Positional attacks aren't that great of a design(see rogues/druids in WoW) as it can limit said classes sometimes on boss fights and be hell in pvp with lag.

Your other example reminds me of FFXI and while in theory is sounds nice. But what happens when you don't have class A to maximize class B's potential? Who wants to operate at sub optimal levels because some class isn't there to buff you up. That forces people to only roll with certain classes as it only benefits them.

Nice ideas in theory, pretty horrible in practice.

Your other example reminds me of FFXI and while in theory is sounds nice. But what happens when you don't have class A to maximize class B's potential? Who wants to operate at sub optimal levels because some class isn't there to buff you up. That forces people to only roll with certain classes as it only benefits them.

Nice ideas in theory, pretty horrible in practice.

FFXI Skillchains. Lordy lordy lordy do I miss those things. That game was easily one of the most unique MMo's out there for combat mechanics. Playing a Thief for example was not about mashing buttons, it was a fine art and required a very high level of skill to play it right, at level 30 requiring your entire group to be an Olympic standard team when it comes to threat generation, positioning and timing of skills to get the optimal SATA > Diffusion > Magic Burst damage chains, and hoping to high heaven that the tank doesn't decide to make that second the time to go for a little skip around the battlefield, or some healer or bard is getting the monster in their face.

I really REALLY hope we see unique combat mechanics like those again in the future, as FFXI's battle system is still to this day the one that stood out to me as one that separated unskilled and skilled players enough to stand out.

Its MMO-Lite

Not very Massive in any respect, either by game world size or population (on majority of servers)

Multi-player, well from 1-49 its not really, its a single player game and its a lot of fun the 1st time, its k the second time, I can not muster enough enthusiasm to play it a 3rd time.

Online, yes it is, but most of the time you could be forgiven for thinking its not.

I still enjoy playing but the honeymoon is well and truly over and now BW need to very rapidly get down to the serious business of building this game, its barely half done and some core mechanics are missing or broken.

In my opinion I think what is wrong with this game can be summarised by my own changed play pattern, in this game I mostly play war zones. I am not a hardcore PvP'er and my exception is that there would be very vyer few who are left in this game now, I enjoy playing with other folks, and PvP is the ONLY place that can happen without wasting an hour of game time getting a group together.

1.2 is fluff and little more, if it does bring people back it wont keep them and unless the following months patch is twice as interesting it wont bring anyone back.

Without the Stawars IP this game is over, its not bad but its not good and no where near good enough. George must be going skippy and lining up lawyers again with his second MMO venture looking like its going the exact same way the first one did, though for different reasons.

I want this game to be good, I want to play a Starwars MMO, I want to be that smuggler and exist between the good and the bad making my profitable way in the galaxy, its not going to happen here, not any time soon

Will most likely let my sub expire over the summer and look in again come the winter time, but during that time there are other games that may take my interest.

Yeah but with other games coming out soon do you think they have a few years to correct their mistakes?

I can imagine that they have time. Not everyone likes WoWGW2TERA:

WOW - cant stand the graphical design and the terrible lol and lulz community it has

GW2 - the graphical design is even worse than WOW for me

TERA - i think this is a game for ***** teenagers. I cant take a game seriously where all the time I have someone breasts or panties in my face. Can you? I'm too old for that.

So yeah - I think SWTOR will have time to fix their stuff. Not everyone will wait, but enough will.

PS! The above is all my personal opinion so dont take offence and no ranting is needed.

I've really been enjoying the game. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

There are definitely bugs (which happen in any game and any MMO). IT's no where near as large as WoW (what would be?) But I've honestly enjoyed the game.

I feel far more attached to my characters than I have in almost any game, probably as there are 8 different classes, voice acting, companions, etc. I really feel like I "live" in the world when I'm there, which is pretty awesome.

The end game is enjoyable. Not huge, but there and fun. I'm honestly enjoying leveling more, so while I've done the ops, I'm not super excited about trying nightmare modes or getting to 60 valor as I'd honestly rather get more alts going.

I'm kind of sad that most of my friends aren't on when I am (due to time differences) and that I think there are still some growing pains regarding guilds, etc. A lot of this will probably just take some time to settle down. (I remember it always being somewhat difficult to get adjusted to things when I played WoW after a server transfer, and never really settled into Aion, Rift, etc.)

There are always things I'd love (More end game content! More story line quests! More planets! The ability to go back and revisit people from earlier quests! Cooler looking gear! More PVP zones!). But I'm fairly content with the game as is, you know?

it sucks. It lacks content and you can beat it in 2 months and have nothing to do. They want you to play THEIR way, and play lots of different characters and play just a little every day. Well guess what? We want to play it OUR way and if you do you are done in no time and totally bored, which is why our server is dead cause almost all 50s quit. Edited by AJediKnightonce

I can imagine that they have time. Not everyone likes WoWGW2TERA:

WOW - cant stand the graphical design and the terrible lol and lulz community it has

GW2 - the graphical design is even worse than WOW for me

TERA - i think this is a game for ***** teenagers. I cant take a game seriously where all the time I have someone breasts or panties in my face. Can you? I'm too old for that.

So yeah - I think SWTOR will have time to fix their stuff. Not everyone will wait, but enough will.

PS! The above is all my personal opinion so dont take offence and no ranting is needed.

I really do agree with you on the mmo's listed. it seems to be the future of mmo's (and gaming) and players like me are, outdated and unwanted. (loving the classical artdesign of games like everquest2, abit swg. maybe going back to the old neverwinter nights done by the old bioware. i think you get my stuff.)

Edited by Alvaar

I've really been enjoying the game. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

There are definitely bugs (which happen in any game and any MMO). IT's no where near as large as WoW (what would be?) But I've honestly enjoyed the game.

I feel far more attached to my characters than I have in almost any game, probably as there are 8 different classes, voice acting, companions, etc. I really feel like I "live" in the world when I'm there, which is pretty awesome.

The end game is enjoyable. Not huge, but there and fun. I'm honestly enjoying leveling more, so while I've done the ops, I'm not super excited about trying nightmare modes or getting to 60 valor as I'd honestly rather get more alts going.

I'm kind of sad that most of my friends aren't on when I am (due to time differences) and that I think there are still some growing pains regarding guilds, etc. A lot of this will probably just take some time to settle down. (I remember it always being somewhat difficult to get adjusted to things when I played WoW after a server transfer, and never really settled into Aion, Rift, etc.)

There are always things I'd love (More end game content! More story line quests! More planets! The ability to go back and revisit people from earlier quests! Cooler looking gear! More PVP zones!). But I'm fairly content with the game as is, you know?

I second that, I agree :cool:

I've enjoyed it immensely and am looking forward to future additions to the game.

Unfortunately I didn't get quite as much out of it as I had originally intended because the people I was supposed to level and play with scattered to the four winds, but that wasn't swtors fault.

I'm taking a relatively short break from my subscription because I've actually been playing for quite some time now (because of beta testing) but I do plan on coming back and working on the rest of the class stories sometime after the patch.

i think it will be a lot better in a few years. its alright now.

I agree with this. The game is epic right now, up until 50. But then, roll an alt. After rolling that alt roll another alt. By the time you have completed all the epic class stories there will so many game updates, prolly an expansion, and a crap load of patches which mostly, I hope will brush out the problems with class balance.

Too easy, and boring, and not enough people to play with.

Combat is sluggish, classes are meh design, leveling is so incredibly boring.

I can't imagine anyone, myself included, would even be playing this game if it wasn't called star wars.

Lmao I love how you didn't include story. That's what this game is 60% based around. And it's awsome! The game is just fine right now. Your oppinion is quite different from others.

Edited by reaperkeepet

A good single player game. A mediocre MMO, especially by 2012 standards.

Solid foundations, especially with the story aspect and Star Wars IP, to give it the potential to grow into a very good game.

Some serious flaws, from the game engine to critical missing features, that could derail any chance of it reaching its potential.

Edited by DawnAskham

So far enjoying the game. I have mostly done leveling with various classes, on my third one and the story has been great. Looking forward to seeing the others.

PvP has been good, looking forward to a new map soon.

I have not done any raiding as of yet, haven't had the interest but I will get there at some point, likely when there is a bit more available.

Overall, I think the game has been great with many much needed additions/changes coming. Its enough to keep my sub up, it has lived up to my expectations.

Had fun leveling. Did it almost exclusively solo for the added chalenge and to help master my profession of choice.

I like the fact that I had three leveling options for XP. Quests, Space and WZs.

However, overall I think the game is incomplete and lacks depth.

*Lack luster crafting that seems to not offer any real end game items / content for lvl 50 players. Biochem might be the exception however that is likely nerfed in 1.2 regarding med packs.

*Lack of avatar customization / changes post creation for physical attributes.

*Ugly and unattractive wearables and no appearance tab.

*Mirror classes are not really mirrors.

*Lack of intelligent implementation of open world PVP. IE, planets / cities should be the focus of FPs and OPs so that opposite factions run into each other. Ilum is stupid big and no PVP incentives to encourage open world PVP. Questing on PVP servers should also cross faction lines more often at all levels.

*Poor patching processes and lack of DEV / GM tools to properly support players. Very poor CSR support in general.

*Poor choice of engine for the game that has lead to the entire PVP / Open World PVP fiasco.

*Lack of equal development effort / quality of effort for both factions.

*Poorly implemented reslove system that does not appear to work consistently or equitabliy across classes and factions.

*Outrageously high repair costs for equipment when doing PVE activities. No repair for PVP. Both should be balanced.

*Social point system that seems broken to non-functional.

ETC ETC ETC ETC

IMHO

Your thoughts on SWTOR as a whole

Needed more time, and whislt a great single player experince (first few times through anyway), it's very lacking in the "MMO".

There are really great aspects, and some really not great aspects.

They tried to make SW-WoW, which was a big concept mistake I think, they could never out-WoW WoW and frankly I don't think you'd be as successful even if you did.

The PvP is terrible, it's not called Stun Wars for no reason (it needs a much better diminishing returns and immunity system - dunno why they tried to reinvent the wheel WAR had a decent robust system for this) and the little RvR there is is gone with 1.2.

It wasn't perfect at launch, but there never will be an MMO that is. Love playing the game. It's fun to solo but WAY more engaging with at least one other playing partner. Bioware has done a great job of fixing what needed fixing the most, while also introducing fresh content after only a month or so. The 1.2 patch (at least on the PTS) looks excellent with many improvements, and the new UI really came through addressing a critical need. Unless they sell out to the likes of Blizzard, NCSoft, Cryptic or Trion ... I'll be playing this game for years to come.

Honestly, SWTOR is a great game. Sure it has its flaws...but it's only 4 months old and I can already tell you that I enjoy playing it more than I ever did in my 4 years of WoW.

Haters will come to the forums to hate, but people who love the game generally don't post about it here. This gives the feeling that the fans generally don't like SWTOR, when in reality most of them do.

Can't wait to see what it will be like in a few years! :D

Haters will come to the forums to hate, but people who love the game generally don't post about it here.

You'll find they do, only the hopelessly love-bind could ever try to pass off loading screens as an aid to immersion. :)

The good:

• Neat ideas with crafting and companions.
  • Good enough to keep me going to finish the story until 50, not good enough to hold my interest for much longer beyond that.
  • Excellent voice acting.
  • Good experience making you feel like a Force-wielder.

The bad:

• Overdid it on the instancing.
  • Good enough to keep me going to finish the story until 50, not good enough to hold my interest for much longer beyond that.
  • Redundancy of quests is problematic.
  • Many seemingly momentous decisions end up having little-to-no impact beyond an in-game mail.
  • Engine isn't that impressive, bordering on bad.
  • Multitude of small bugs (e.g., disappearing items/weapons, stuck issues) and annoyances (e.g., cost of speeder skill beyond the first one vs benefit you get from the vehicles)

The... neutral:

• Interesting single-player game with MMO elements tacked on.
  • Never had any interest in non-Force wielders, myself.

Honestly, SWTOR is a great game. Sure it has its flaws...but it's only 4 months old and I can already tell you that I enjoy playing it more than I ever did in my 4 years of WoW.

Haters will come to the forums to hate, but people who love the game generally don't post about it here. This gives the feeling that the fans generally don't like SWTOR, when in reality most of them do.

Can't wait to see what it will be like in a few years! :D

Don't need posters actually ...the increasingly empty server populations speak for themselves.

I've been in since beta and still do like the game, but I've recently dl'd LotRO just so I can get away from the claustrophobic feel I've been having lately.

Edited by Grecanis