SWTOR. Too much theme park?

halueryphi

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not picking a fight. Your comments are confusing me. We never had RvR at all. Ilum is not RvR.

I don't know what to say, have you never been to the supposed RvR basin?

Actually, in SWTOR, it would be Faction vs. Faction.

We don't have Realms.... WoW is that way... --->>

Mythic had the trademark on RvR and as Mythic became Bioware-Mythic and then eventually just Bioware EA (once the digestion process was finished) I think RvR is fine.

WoW never had RvR, because it never had the trademark, only DAoC and WAR did.

However just because you don't call something RvR doesn't mean it's not, just that it's not been called that offically becasue the term is trademarked.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Goretzu

I don't know what to say, have you never been to the supposed RvR basin?

I have been to ilum twice and I have never been on Warhammer Online before. According to wiki two opposite sides fight for resources. So in a way that is like EVE Online. In swtor we are not fighting for territory or territorial assets. Although that would be a majorly awesome on pvp servers.

I have been to ilum twice and I have never been on Warhammer Online before. According to wiki two opposite sides fight for resources. So in a way that is like EVE Online. In swtor we are not fighting for territory or territorial assets. Although that would be a majorly awesome on pvp servers.

Fair enough, if you've never been there you wouldn't know about it.

So when the creators of the game call it "open world pvp" they are wrong and you are right.

Gotcha.

RvR is RvR, it doesn't matter what you call it (well it does because only Mythic and whomever now has the trademark rights within EA now can offically called something RvR without being sued).

I agree.. we need something in between what we have now and the freedom of SWG for a truly epic game.

And people saying we should not compare this to SWG are wrong. This is the 2nd Star Wars MMO it makes more sense to bring ideas from it than WoW. I also disagree that an open ended game is impossible SWG pretty much was maybe even too open ended.

Keep your SWG. It was a crappy game. There were Korean games that I enjoyed more than that game and I hate Korean games. That game for me had absolutely no Star wars feeling.

hard to say what you mean by themepark is it that you have the must do progression and limited other freedom linear path personally i do like that when playing.

But then what i dont like with that is aswell that everything just gets handed to you these days basicly to the point that by just logging in gives you x amount of badges that after 1-3 months will have gotten you the adequate gear to be able to see almost every content this game have to offer.

Edited by Varghjerta

Faction open world PvP is RvR

There are clearly confused trolls here, but it's not me. :)

Actually.. it is you. Open World PvP is not equal to RvR. RvR has been defined as:

"Realm versus Realm (RvR) is a type of Player versus Player gameplay in Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) where the player base is divided over multiple preset realms that fight each other over game assets. This differs from normal Player versus Player combat in that Realm versus Realm usually depicts a game that is centralized around this combat, as opposed to a game where sporadic Player versus Player combat occurs. In this context, "realm" generally means a geographic territory or political affiliation."

Although Ilum was Open World PVP, it was never meant to be a fight over game assets, just an area to grind PVP points to get PVP gear. Therefore, Ilum was not RvR.

You guys expect Bioware and Blizzard and AreaNet to constantly give you things to do as soon as you finish, which is just impossible. Either they can release content every other week that is just terrible or work on quality content and you remain bored for a while. It's a no win situation for them. If they do the former, you complain about how they cut corners and give you crappy content and you claim as a customer you deserve better because you pay $15 a month. The latter, you claim to have nothing to do for ages and stay that they are lazy and dragging their feet and as a customer, you deserve content because you pay $15 a month.

It's the companies own fault, they made MMOs far to easy (Rift? SWTOR?) and they are over in no time!

Everything is rushed out (5 years & 200mill? It must have been some cocktail party!) for the "NOW!" crowd, the impatient spoilt brats that demanded instant grats for everything in WoW and it has spilled over into other games and is destroying them. No one likes the grind, but it sure slows them down, at least til they find a fast farming method (Enchanter pet pulls in DAoC anyone?). :rolleyes:

So they are to blame themselves, they thought what they were doing was best til 2 weeks after launch when they ended up with a ton of 50s asking for more! And demanding stuff.

Now its a "themepark" wasteland (to get back on track). :)

Keep your SWG. It was a crappy game. There were Korean games that I enjoyed more than that game and I hate Korean games. That game for me had absolutely no Star wars feeling.

Best joke i´ve read in a long time.

Lemme´see...

Jump to Lightspeed vs. Starfox railshooter

Open world vs. linear map-hopping

Anymore questions? Simply by concept, SWG embraced the spirit of SW by tailoring a concept that fits to the IP .

If they had added updated graphics, flashpoints and voiceacted class story like BW did, it would have been perfect. But no, BW needed to copy WoW concept instead and downsize the SW universe to fit in an instanced shoebox. Someone was not smart enough to do a hybrid of both concepts, taking the best of both worlds as a base and then add own ideas.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

It's the companies own fault, they made MMOs far to easy (Rift? SWTOR?) and they are over in no time!

Everything is rushed out (5 years & 200mill? It must have been some cocktail party!) for the "NOW!" crowd, the impatient spoilt brats that demanded instant grats for everything in WoW and it has spilled over into other games and is destroying them. No one likes the grind, but it sure slows them down, at least til they find a fast farming method (Enchanter pet pulls in DAoC anyone?). :rolleyes:

So they are to blame themselves, they thought what they were doing was best til 2 weeks after launch when they ended up with a ton of 50s asking for more! And demanding stuff.

Now its a "themepark" wasteland (to get back on track). :)

I think this explains the problem pretty well basicly players these days want to get rewarded for everything they do even if it is just for logging in and pressing a button badges pvp points comes from trying to cater those players.

Sadly i dont like these kind of systems in my opinion it just creates the worst kind of grind possible.

The kill xx amount of bosses and you will have the best gear able doing everything that the game have to offer <normal modes> what is left after that is just do the same things again but a tad harder.

As a casual i actually would take a no badge progression system any day then being forcefeed easy content just so i can see everything straight away

Edited by Varghjerta

Negative: what it is, is what people will pay for. OP is right, devs should listen.

Devs did listen, to the genre on a whole that has outright rejected sandbox design!

Yesterday friend and I spent 3 hours exploring Alderaan after finishing the Panteer Castle "Usurper" quest.

We opened up map, rode into area and fought our way in and out exploring.

No quests, did find 1 datacron as a fluke and 2 lore as a fluke, just good old fashion exploration.

And we are not done yet, we still got a fair amount of Alderaan to explore (guessing its the Sith bases and what not but wont know till we get there).

I remember exploring Balmorra in beta, exploring Hoth, and if beta wasnt ending would have explored Voss, Corellia, Quesh as well

There is exploration in TOR, this theme park nonsense is just people who want to complain its not SWG2 so they use terms they clearly have no clue about.

The exploration is fine in TOR. I wouldnt mind better land mass usage and some vertical design ala RIFT (they were amazing with multi teired land levels).

Course I dont need to drive over a mountain. Im perfectly ok with mountain ranges being impassible. In fact I prefer it.

EA could use their land better so rep or imp has something to do everywhere they can go on a planet, but that doesnt mean there is not exploration galor to be had.

Originally Posted by Sebah

Must say, you sound like a VERY HAPPY AND JOYFULL PERSON because everytime someone tells you (and ive lost count how many have) SWG was bad or terrible or garbage you responce with

Or something like that suggesting your having a good laugh!

They say laughter is the best medicine so you must be very very very healthy if you truely do laugh at everyone and anyone that didnt like SWG.

Cause WOW, thats a mighty mighty mighty mighty mighty long list of proven haters and unsatisfied (prior toNGE btw) people! 1.5 million boxes sold, 70% cancellation in first month of activation. rose to 80% by month 3.

Good you can lauch it off though :)

BIG SMILE!

Edited by Kalfear

Actually.. it is you. Open World PvP is not equal to RvR. RvR has been defined as:

"Realm versus Realm (RvR) is a type of Player versus Player gameplay in Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) where the player base is divided over multiple preset realms that fight each other over game assets. This differs from normal Player versus Player combat in that Realm versus Realm usually depicts a game that is centralized around this combat, as opposed to a game where sporadic Player versus Player combat occurs. In this context, "realm" generally means a geographic territory or political affiliation."

Although Ilum was Open World PVP, it was never meant to be a fight over game assets, just an area to grind PVP points to get PVP gear. Therefore, Ilum was not RvR.

Nope it's still not me. :)

RvR = factional open world PvP (it's just the name Mythic coined for it way back in DAoC).

You can call a car a horse-less carriage, automobile, autocar, or motorcar, but not of that changes what it is (a wheeled motorised vehicle).

Now SWTORs RvR basin mechanics aren't that great. The capture stuff just end to lead to trading..... but that doesn't mean it's not what most people would refer to as RvR (although Bioware generally hasn't, but that's like to avoid being compared to the much superior Warhammer Online system).... or at least trying to be.

Nope it's still not me. :)

RvR = factional open world PvP (it's just the name Mythic coined for it way back in DAoC).

I am done ever responding to you again.

I give a factional response with an industry accepted definition of RvR and why it does not fit Ilum, and you just say: Nope, you are wrong and I am right.

Seriously.. sometimes John Cleese is the wisest man on earth..

Edited by Devlonir

Lemme´see...

Jump to Lightspeed vs. Starfox railshooter

Open world vs. linear map-hopping

Anymore questions? Simply by concept, SWG embraced the spirit of SW by tailoring a concept that fits to the IP .

Actually.. I said this before, but exploration and free roaming (the things that both JTL and Open Worlds succeed in) are actually not part of the Star Wars IP at all. Star Trek is all about Exploration, the major Star Wars theme is actually a battle of good vs evil in a heavilly defined, pre-explored and bureaucratic universe.

Now, an MMO needs an open world feel to some extend to give the feeling of a living, breathing world, I agree with that. But to say free roaming is and important part of the Star Wars IP is ridicilous and factually wrong.

Yes. I think they should add some more open planets and open space for pvp'ing exploring or pve'ing in. I do like the planets And i think they worked great for leveling. But end game needs to be more open and We need more reasons to go back to the other planets too. Imo.

I am done ever responding to you again.

I give a factional response with an industry accepted definition of RvR and why it does not fit Ilum, and you just say: Nope, you are wrong and I am right.

Seriously.. sometimes John Cleese is the wisest man on earth..

If you want to throw a strop and take your ball home because you're wrong that's entirely up to you.

However RvR is RvR is RvR, it doesn't matter what you call it. :)

Ilum currently has an RvR basin with two faction open world PvP and factional objectives to capture - THAT IS RvR! :D

Edited by Goretzu

The problem with a a ride is that when it comes to an end you have to get off, no matter how fun it was.

Maybe you can go again, but it's likely not as engaging the next time around.

It's actually getting less sand-boxy with 1.2 as they are pretty much giving up on RvR as a concept in SWTOR for the foreseeable future as well.

Are you saying there is something coming in 1.2 that will make it actually ANTI-sand-boxy? Because less than ZERO (which is where it stands now on the sandbox meter) is actually negative.