Beat spec for DPS---new to Jedi

Sosajoshua

So I only have Imp toons but decided on finally making my JK who I want to make a Sentinel. I looked up the trees and such and in my opinion it seems Focus tree is the best for major DPS (though the other trees give impressive outputs of damage as well). I just want to know a few peoples opinions so I can pick a good spec. If you can link skill tree builds that would help as well. Thank you.

So I only have Imp toons but decided on finally making my JK who I want to make a Sentinel. I looked up the trees and such and in my opinion it seems Focus tree is the best for major DPS (though the other trees give impressive outputs of damage as well). I just want to know a few peoples opinions so I can pick a good spec. If you can link skill tree builds that would help as well. Thank you.

I'm one of the top sents on my server for sure. I'd say top but there is no rating system atm to prove it.

below is my build and there is also a video showing what it can do.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=379536

All depends what you want to do. In PvE Watchman destroys. No questions. Also I'm not too invested in PvP, but I'd do more research than go by that guys video. Since PvP is very expertise based, if you are facing crap opposition any spec can look amazing.

To be honest i dont see anything special of Watchman or maybe that is just my unfamiliarity with melee toons since ive only played PT and Sorc so far

watchman does way more damage then the other two trees it also heals you. Keep your dots up and use zen as much as you can and things will die super quick. Juyo form with zen makes ever dot a crit which heals you also. Very good spec for lvling, dps, and probably pvp.

As many of my mara/sent brothers say watchman/anni is the only spec for us

Totally depends on what you want to do (you did not specify any goals). All 3 spec's do amazing damage, the method of delivery is different on each.

Watchman, is consistent good damage, and most importantly... heals you back for some of the damage you do. DoT damage persists even when an assassin tries to escape via stealth, it can be amusing to see their corpse appear a few meters away shortly after. I would consider it the most 'effective' build for pvp solo queing as it is quite self sufficient.

Combat, highest burst damage probably of any class/spec out there, but between the bursts it does lack a bit (the damage spikes and wanes nonstop so it can be great to take out healers and the like) also has the greatest mobility in pvp with faster in combat speed in ataru, and a lot of immobilisations for the enemy.

Focus, big spike aoe bombs about sums this up, it also has a nice snaring effect on single targets and is not 'weak' on single target dps either, however weaker than the other 2 specs for single. This spec really shines when faced with bunched enemies trying to disarm your bomb, or a crowd huddled around the ball carrier in huttball.

For PvE.. Focus spec is lacking, it 'can work' in operations and hm flashpoints for the most part if you know what you are doing, but both other spec's are far more optimal. Combat and Watchman spec's seem to be about the top single target class/spec's in the game currently, with dps being roughly equal and watchman bringing additional heals and optional faster transcendance... it does seem more attractive for PvE HM and Ops, however there is a few bugs/events that do not favour dots, but those are not dps races really so its not an issue.

Totally depends on what you want to do (you did not specify any goals). All 3 spec's do amazing damage, the method of delivery is different on each.

For PvE.. Focus spec is lacking, it 'can work' in operations and hm flashpoints for the most part if you know what you are doing, but both other spec's are far more optimal. Combat and Watchman spec's seem to be about the top single target class/spec's in the game currently, with dps being roughly equal and watchman bringing additional heals and optional faster transcendance... it does seem more attractive for PvE HM and Ops, however there is a few bugs/events that do not favour dots, but those are not dps races really so its not an issue.

Actually DPS of Watchman > Combat by a lot

Another Sentinel in my guild and I tested this on Council fight in EV.

I was spec'd Combat and my gear at the time was 5/5 Columi, Rakata Belt/Bracers both aug slotted, Rakate Implants and Ear Piece. I had pvp Champion MH and Columi OH.

My stats at the time were:

Low 400-420? some bonus damage

100% acc (110% Special)

30% crit with Smuggler buff

75% Surge.

He was spec'd Watchman also obviously less geared then I was:

Bonus damage was about 100 lower then mine

100% Acc

5% less crit

68% surge.

Also taking into account fight mechanics he could not use Zen where I could.

We both started at the same time and when one would finish we'd say done. I finished and about 2 seconds later he says done. Now with the gear differences I just listed if Watchman and Combat were = I should have destroyed him, but I did not, because Combat is lacking vs Watchman in any PvE fight over a time period.

Edited by Nitrosnwbrdr

Have tested combat vs watchman myself, same player, same gear, same enemy (tatooine world boss) and time it took to kill was close enough to consider them about equal.

I have seen that same council event done with combat and watchman sent (and they had roughly equal gear, both columi) and the combat sent finished far ahead of anyone else in the raid, not just the other watchman sent (was not me as the player in this case as my sentinel is my pvp char, i was using my tank, and i know the combat sent is very very skilled, not as sure on the watchman sent in this example.)

One issue to be aware of is the combat stutter that some people are effected by (being one who isnt i am unsure exactly how the stutter works) will directly lower the main burst portion of a combat sents damage, regardless of how good a player is if they have this issue it will gimp the burst. (the combat sent in my council example also does not have the issue)

This could well be a factor in many 'tests' people have done.

I have seen that same council event done with combat and watchman sent (and they had roughly equal gear, both columi) and the combat sent finished far ahead of anyone else in the raid, not just the other watchman sent (was not me as the player in this case as my sentinel is my pvp char, i was using my tank, and i know the combat sent is very very skilled, not as sure on the watchman sent in this example.)

I don't like calling anyone bad without knowing them or seeing them do dps... but I'm betting the Watchman didn't know his spec very well. If they were = geared it shouldn't have been that close. Also on that fight, the both of us blew everyone in our raid out of the water, by almost 20 seconds the next closest person being.

Have tested combat vs watchman myself, same player, same gear, same enemy (tatooine world boss) and time it took to kill was close enough to consider them about equal.

One issue to be aware of is the combat stutter that some people are effected by (being one who isnt i am unsure exactly how the stutter works) will directly lower the main burst portion of a combat sents damage, regardless of how good a player is if they have this issue it will gimp the burst. (the combat sent in my council example also does not have the issue)

Put it this way Watchman > Combat

Surviability = Watchman wins

Heals = Watchman wins

burst dps = Combat wins

sustained dps = Watchman wins

1v1 = Watchman wins by far

we do server wide tourneys imps & republics out in outlaws den 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4. That said combat sents get owned hard and dont contribute much to the group.

1v1 watchman consistently destroys combat. there is no question here.

Lol still see nothing that convinvces me Watchman is the way to go. It just seems to me like the only spec anyone is using without caring to try the other ones

Almost everyone says watchman seems to do more dps.

Watchman heals you unlike the others.

Dots generally do more dps than non dot specs in any mmo.

If that doesnt convince you nothing will because no one can pull out dps numbers atm since there is no combat log. You can roll other specs but before 1.2 watchman seems to be the best in any situation except very short term burst.

Lol still see nothing that convinvces me Watchman is the way to go. It just seems to me like the only spec anyone is using without caring to try the other ones

It sounds like you've already made your mind up to do another tree, and that's fine... but there has been PLENTY of information in this thread alone explaining why watchman is currently king.

If you want to go a different tree that's completely understandable, not everyone likes keeping DoT's up and having quite so many moves to account for. Just don't demean the rest of the forum by saying people don't care about other specs. The general consensus by the VAST majority of players is that watchman is the preferred spec for most situations due to it's excellent sustainable DPS, survivability, and utility. There will never be 100% of people who agree, and that's mainly because not everyone PLAYS one spec. But you asked for advice and people gave it. Either use it or don't, just don't belittle the advice of others... it's kinda lame.

Fair enough though i dont think i was out right belittling anyone. I think ill spec Watchman and if i dont like it (which as everyone says i should have no reason not to) i will try rerolling. What i meant by "people not liking another spec" is that i seem to only see watchman spec here and not focus or combat spec but i guess that right there shouldve answered my question.

Thank you then everyone. Last question.....

..can i see a standard Wathman spec to base my sentinel on?

I've been every spec. Played several hybrids and found watchman to be best period.

I can do an *** ton of damage WITHOUT GEAR in pvp:

I have a Screen shot of 360k with head, chest, and legs UNEQUIPED. and no pvp relics.

The numbers on the screen don't look like much but pull a calculator out and you'll see they are an *** ton of damage.

Edited by KaptainPlanet

i wouldn't use Focus in PvE, your dmg is based off your AoE sweeps and in hard modes or especially Operations where you need to CC adds and stuff you can get your group totally wiped with erand aoe.

It's great for trash, but in key fights you will not be as effective. Watchman and Combat offer great single target dmg, Watchman is better on the live game, Combat should be pretty viable in 1.2

in PvP, Watchman or Focus, that's pretty much all you see right now. Both are perfectly viable in PvP, combat is ok, but just not as good.

I don't like calling anyone bad without knowing them or seeing them do dps... but I'm betting the Watchman didn't know his spec very well. If they were = geared it shouldn't have been that close. Also on that fight, the both of us blew everyone in our raid out of the water, by almost 20 seconds the next closest person being.

it could equally be possible that your 'combat sent' did not know his spec very well (or suffered from the stuttering issue that many get)

As i said in my own testing i got both combat and watchman to be around the same time to kill a very long boss fight, in the council event watchman cannot use zen... i would expect a combat sent to be ahead in that case.

Until we have combat logs its just word of mouth and opinion, my own tests on the world boss are good enough for me to determine they are equal 'for that' but no one else was there watching me and if anyone else did the same test it is only 'second hand evidence' to me just as all of what you said is to me, and all of what i say is to you.

Even with combat logs i would still only trust the evidence if i trust the source :) (ie i would need to know the source for that)

I'm new to this game as a whole. My Jedi Sentinel is only level 12 (Mirilan light side named Ardanis on some RPPVP server that starts with a J... errm.. yeah.) but I went with Combat for my first two talent points. Without any real knowledge that one looked best for the off-hand damage bonus but based on this chat I'm going to re-spec when I play tonight.