Extra character slots and how to implement them.

plAtomsk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently the limit on characters per server is 8 so it's enough to have one of each advance class of a faction.

There is 8 slots because there is 8 storys... there is absolutely no need for 16 slots, as someone that has finished every class story and has 8 slots filled with level 50 chars I would say 9 or 10 slots is asking enough. Calling for 16 slots when you have not even filled 8 is just a joke as far as I am concerned.

Prove that you can fill the slots you have already with max level chars, because my guess is you won't even do that.

When they do add more slots I hope it is tied to legacy, and I hope it requires a very high level to unlock a slot, as in legacy level 40+.

Edited by System_TOR

Why is that?

Eight is just a right number. Not too little and not too much.

Plus, there is no reason for 16 slots. You have eight stories to see, not 16. Sage has the same story as Shadow. The story don't change depending on the AC. Plus, you could just use one faction as the opposite AC. Shadow and Assassin are basically the same class. Made a Jedi Guardian? Make a Sith Marauder. Made a Smuggler Gunslinger? Bounty Hunter Powertech is your next class.

But that's just my opinion.

Plus, there is no reason for 16 slots. You have eight stories to see, not 16. Sage has the same story as Shadow. The story don't change depending on the AC. Plus, you could just use one faction as the opposite AC. Shadow and Assassin are basically the same class. Made a Jedi Guardian? Make a Sith Marauder. Made a Smuggler Gunslinger? Bounty Hunter Powertech is your next class.

Very good point but I would like to be able to use the races that I unlock in the legacy system and with only 8 slots there is no way i will be able to make the class/rece/faction combinations i want to without deleating some level 50 toons. It"s not really about the story lines.

Edited by plAtomsk

8 is fine, except that the whole legacy system is designed to encourage rolling new characters and 8 slots are filled fast. I have 2 slots left and I intend to make a Twi'lek marauder and a Miraluka sorc once 1.2 hits. If I want to make more chars, I need to delete lvl50 chars. Which is fine, I suppose but it's the fact that I have to or stop leveling new chars to 50. Most likely, my human bh and jugger will get the axe, they only have columi/rakata gear so it's not a huge loss. I still have a main.

Moonshadow! No! You're killing me! Noooooo!

Actually, I quite disagree with you that the story does not change depending on your AC. I mean, yeah, the actual story does not change but the responses you choose can (and in my case do) change. For example, I have two Sith Warriors - one a Juggernaut (Sith Pureblood) and one a Marauder (Human). I chose to play the Marauder light side and the Juggernaut as dark side. Incoming spoiler ...

On Tatooine, my warriors had to fight a reflection of themselves - one dark side for the dark sided character and one light side for the light sided character. The response options were different because of the path that the character chose. It didn't change the outcome of the story, but it changed how you got there.

Another example of this is Jaesa Willsaam. Jaesa, as your apprentice, is a completely different on the light side than she is on the dark side. She's a sweet, lovely girl if you're light side and a total headcase if you're dark. This, of course, changes the game experience some when you're playing. And that is just for Sith Warriors. There have to be other instances of things like this with other classes, advanced classes, light/dark choices, etc. Not to mention, if one wants to take advantage of the legacy updates coming - i.e. level a toon to 50 and unlock that species for all classes - they would need more than 8 characters just to achieve that goal. Not to mention, if they did achieve that goal ... how could they benefit from it if they couldn't re-roll a second character from that species on a different class?

Very good point but I would like to be able to use the races that I unlock in the legacy system and with only 8 slots there is no way i will be able to make the class/rece/faction combinations i want to without deleating some level 50 toons. It"s not really about the story lines.

How many level 50 do you have then? because as far as I am concerned you are all talk no action, its all very well calling for more slots when you actually need them, like I do, but you prob only have a couple of 50's at most. In other words you do not need or even deserve more slots.

HAHA extra slots are going in for sure, only question is how.

Ofc they are going in, because of people like me who actually filled the 8 slots with level 50's made Bioware realise that more slots are needed, not because random joe with 8 level 20-30 chars did.

It's also pretty obvious it they will only add 1-2 extra slots. just look at the character login screen, there is room for a few more without having to completely change that screen.

Edited by System_TOR

How many level 50 do you have then? because as far as I am concerned you are all talk no action, its all very well calling for more slots when you actually need them, like I do, but you prob only have a couple of 50's at most. In other words you do not need or even deserve more slots.

Ofc they are going in, because of people like me who actually filled the 8 slots with level 50's made Bioware realise that more slots are needed, not because random joe with 8 level 20-30 chars did.

It's also pretty obvious it they will only add 1-2 extra slots. just look at the character login screen, there is room for a few more without having to completely change that screen.

Why so hostle? I stated in one of my posts that it would be somthing for the future and no one needs it rite now. It doesn't mater if I do not need them rite now they won't be added for a while and by the time they are added i will need them so it's stupid to wait untill I need the slots to start asking for them. You said in you other post that 8 was plenty and it was stupid to add more now your saying you need the extra slots and imlpying that you deserve them and others don't thus defeating your own argument and showing people that you are just trolling. That said I would like to thank you for chooseing my thread to spend so much of your valuble time on creating more people's intrest in it.

Edited by plAtomsk

HAHA extra slots are going in for sure, only question is how.

It is not a guarentee that more slots will be coming.

I think they will give us more slots, maybe not up to 16 but a few more.

I then think they will say you can buy more slots for x amount.

Also in the Q and A, they said its coming just not ready to give details yet.

Instead of adding character slots to each server to not have to re-start your legacy on another server, why not have Legacy span all servers? I know there will be a lot of 'It's annoying to have to change servers', but i think that would be worth it.

BrigandsAuthor

Well, they did say they were "100% committed" to providing more slots. So I would say, reasonably, we can expect it to happen. What they did not say is when or how it would happen.

Instead of adding character slots to each server to not have to re-start your legacy on another server, why not have Legacy span all servers? I know there will be a lot of 'It's annoying to have to change servers', but i think that would be worth it.

BrigandsAuthor

That would eliminate only part of the problem. You would still not be able to benefit from the community, guild, friendships, etc. on your current server unless all those people decided to extend their legacies to the same servers, reform guilds on those servers, and what not. It seems like that would be more work for developers (and players) than just opening up some slots.

*sits there force choking Dolcia*

This will teach you to rent The Hangover Part II. I specifically asked for The Hangover. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME FILM!

*choked* The Hangover: Thailand ... it is the same film!

Edited by Dolcia

BrigandsAuthor

I like this too. Maybe they could do both but 2 million is a lot of people and we would'nt be able to have people with the same name.

Edited by plAtomsk

It is a guarentee they said so in the Q/A.

With the way the legacy system is done, unlocking abilities usable on all characters for both factions is just one way that would support me having 16 character slots or even more. I myself, idk about others posting, am what people would consider the "ultimate gamer", just in the fact that i play every game i play down to it's last detail until i fully beat it's content, or i just get too bored with it, as i did with WoW..I made 14 85's in that game 1 of each class with duplicates of some on a separate server. The main reason I do so is so that i can be "self-sufficient" in the gaming society of the server I am, and as well able to comply to the playing style of each class i will face in PVP, if i know what they do i can counter-act to my best intent. I just figure why not do all this one one server. i've already got 4 50's and 2 others 25+ im currently lvling for Legacy release. And also a family, which is where they're going with the "Legacy System" is infinite, 8 character slots hardly represents a family, if the Legacy transferred to another server that would be excellent, but it doesn't and excuse me for saying, but if i can trace my family lineage back 100+ years why not be able to in-game as part of the legacy system, just keep the family going till the day they shut down the servers or we all quit from lack of fresh content..All in all guys at Bioware, keep it up and keep the content rolling, you don't wanna lose peoples interest.

I agree that there's only 8 story lines, but u can still make ur Sith Marauder's story line differ from your Sith Juggernaut's story line simply by going light and dark, each way changes the story significantly for the simple fact that you aren't killing as many people in the light side of life, henceforth causing the ending to vary from the time u seen lvling ur marauder or whatever. there's a lot of people who are so into the storyline and light/dark side that they would love to see every possible outcome, which is exactly what i do. :D alrdy have 50 assassin dark V, and 50 sorcerer Light V, and there definitely was a drastic change in the story line believe it or not. :D Kept me entertained through both characters full leveling fun :D Just sayin, but yes you are right if u just wanted to "peep the stories" once and move on then 8 slots is great, but i need 16 myself if not more..

I think that its a good idea for extra char slots upto a max of possibly 16 but reducing your total allotment across all servers, i think this should be tied into legacy so you cant just create 16 lvl 1 chars but is somehow tied into the family tree.

Unlocking or buying extra character slots should not be the answer. We have the ability to play sixteen different types of characters (eight classes with two paths each) yet we are hindered by only having eight character slots. Sixteen slots should have been available at launch. We should not have to work for or buy the extras. Just my two cents.

The fact that so many people here want to play all of the advanced classes is really a testament to the story immersion of this game, in my opinion. That is something Bioware should be proud of. They spent countless hours trying to develop a solid, story-focused, voice acted, choice-driven game and the fact that so many players are into that is really cool. That is why I have to agree with those of you stating that this should have been in at launch or, at the very least, with 1.2 and the introduction of the legacy system beyond just a running experience bar. Considering what legacy brings to the game, added character slots seems less of a preference and more of a necessity if you want to fully explore everything the legacy system offers.