Armor Design Competition

LDucheMagnifico

Dear BW DEV's,

Im issuing a challenge to your art team. Pit them against the community in a friendly armor design competition.

What would this entail? Open a new thread for the sole purpose of posting armor designs.This thread would contain drawing competitions for each race/class.

Both the community and the art team could post concept drawings to this forum. Each week/month/what have you, the community would vote on its favorite designs. The winner would see its design make its way into the game as an orange piece. It'd be interesting to allow a victorious community member to receive their set as a reward.

My reasoning for this system? Competition can only increase the quality of the designs, as well as create a bigger sense of involvement and community in the game. My inspiration for this style of activity comes from the link ill provide. As I type this, its almost 60 pages of complaints about the new armor sets.

Keep in mind im not saying that this needs to be the main system for new armor, but a secondary way to have armor brought into the game. Perhaps allow the art team to use rejected ideas or ones that they're having difficulty finding a use for.

Regardless, this is a way to improve morale as far as hope for appealing apparel items goes. I've heard this game is interested in listening to the community. What better way to respect your community than getting them involved?

The previously mentioned link is below.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=364084

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea.

This is the new way of joining community. I believe this idea makes dev team and us really close.

Of course it's hard and painful at beginning. And it is big big challenge for design team but we can discuss from lots of different view and the forum is the best place to show their/our concept idea. The design team can see/collect player's feedback directly. They don't need to wait to get our feedback until they release the new patch. If they open the forum, people are talking about it already.

In lots of MMO, marketing is always one way and players are just looking it from far. However this type of marketing won't be one way. Players and dev team always can see the same goal. And on the forum players and dev team can stand on the same position and discuss. Lots of people show their original star wars art for years and expanded star wars universe. Those artists can join this and talk about it. And if their works turn to the actual gears in the game... they can be a part of star wars history.

I feel it's more like a "gear design workshop". :D

We can see gear design process as an live content.

Edited by darkbebe

I LOVE this idea. More community connection, community competition to get their gear in-game (what a compliment it would be), AND we don't get pinned with armor that nobody likes. I keep showing my less-serious TOR buddies the new designs, and person after person just keep flat-out laughing at most of them.

I want this to be seen here as well, as no other post has summed it was well as this.

Gentlemen! Could we start summing up the general notion and address our mutual request to the developers? Here we go:

- BioWare, please have it noted that the general gaming public finds your efforts unsatisfactory in what concerns design of endgame armor for patch 1.2 for these main reasons:

1. All armor designs are questionable lore-wise and are taking the spirit of Star Wars even further away from the game, which the majority of us have no reasons to justify;

2. Basically, no given class has received an armor design which fits into it characteristically, which defines it gameplay role and style. This is true for all force-users and the Smuggler/Agent classes, with BH/Trooper being a possible exception.

We thus request that emergency measures be taken to change the said designs completely before patch 1.2 gets released. More importantly, we strongly suggest that in feature designs the general public's expectations on Star Wars atmosphere definition should be prioritized over individual designers' concepts who seem to work off existing trends in other MMOs (like World of Warcraft).

Thank you for understanig.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3598992#post3598992

Nice compilation of armors that do indeed look pretty cool ! Thanks for sharing but I'll blame you forever for pointing them out to me because now I wonder why in hell they're restricted to NPCs. :D

I know right.. I was soooo jealous when i see him, I think why the hell he need such nice armor if he just going to stand there, and eventually got slaughtered by some sith.. better let me wear it... WITH PROUD.. :D

Most annoyingly is that WE ARE STARING at our Char the whole time, and it sickens me to see those orange Columi armors.. they even took down The Jedi Stormguard, (the only decent Sentinel armor),

Edited by Vanderzz

What a terrific idea.

There definitely needs to be more connection between Bioware and their community. Running an MMO blindly isn't getting them very far.

The armor design in this game has been pretty much the main question in keeping my subscription. I enjoy the gameplay of SWTOR, and 1.2 should solidify that even more, but without the proper lore and visual design, the game is grey, numbing, and unappealing.

And give the armor some dimensions. These blobs of textures we have now... ugh.

Edited by ContaT

This is a great idea. I have a sneaking suspicion that with all of the negative feedback, we will have a lot more say in armor aesthetics. This would be the way to go. The only downside is, it is known fact that the majority of players do not post on the forums. Therefore, BioWare may see this as the minority. Not to mention, there is a distinct possibility that some griefers could vote in a purple bunny costume.

The armor design in this game has been pretty much the main question in keeping my subscription. I enjoy the gameplay of SWTOR, and 1.2 should solidify that even more, but without the proper lore and visual design, the game is grey, numbing, and unappealing.

And give the armor some dimensions. These blobs of textures we have now... ugh.

Wow, you somehow managed to perfectly sum up my point of view on the subject. Amazing.;)