Trading Items

JediXMan

How do I make a "link" to an item in the chat box? Basically, if I am selling a piece of armor, clicking on it would reveal the stats. I've seen it done many times and haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

PS: On a related note: how do I know how much an item is worth if it's not on the GTN?

How do I make a "link" to an item in the chat box? Basically, if I am selling a piece of armor, clicking on it would reveal the stats. I've seen it done many times and haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

PS: On a related note: how do I know how much an item is worth if it's not on the GTN?

Shift and left-click I believe is how you link to the chat box. Also, it depends on the item you want to sell. If there is nothing like it on the GTN you can name your own price so whatever you want to get out of it then you post it for that. Doesn't mean it will sell but you just keep posting it until it sells.

Generally if an item isn't listed on the GTN, your best bet is to pull up google and search for the item you have and find out what requirements it has to make/obtain it if you don't already know.

Key things to look for.

- Is this item a reagent for a crafting schematic or quest?

- How "rare" is the item and how good is its quality compared to similar leveled items.

- How much time/effort would it generally take t obtain the item.

- How many people need this item for something?

Generally you'll find out a ballpark price. As you get to know the game more you'll see people selling/buying things a lot and you'll get to know the rough prices of things and you'll be able to gustimate values on items that you've never seen before.

If you're trying to sell something, the GTN will give you a suggestion as to the price to start with. If there are none of that item of the market, start higher than the suggested price. Maybe start at ten times that price and put it up for a day. If it doesn't sell, try bringing the price down a bit.

• 3 years later...
Shift and left-click I believe is how you link to the chat box. Also, it depends on the item you want to sell. If there is nothing like it on the GTN you can name your own price so whatever you want to get out of it then you post it for that. Doesn't mean it will sell but you just keep posting it until it sells.

This does not work for me it just previews the item, is there something wrong with my SWTOR or is it that im a so called *noob*

If you're trying to sell something, the GTN will give you a suggestion as to the price to start with. If there are none of that item of the market, start higher than the suggested price. Maybe start at ten times that price and put it up for a day. If it doesn't sell, try bringing the price down a bit.

With all due respect, the price suggested by the GTN is not a good basis for pretty much anything. Not ten times, not 100 times.

OP could search GTN for similar items to get an idea. Depending on how valuable the item is, check several times on several days.

If the item does not appear on the GTN, take any specific words out. Usually the "factory" name is not necessary, so if it says, "Remington Arms Gargle Blaster" take out the name and just search for Gargle Blaster. You will notice when you do sell one of these items it comes back and says, "You have sold [Random] Gargle Blaster for XX credits."

If you are selling something like a mod, for example, "Skill Barrel 8" and nothing shows, take out the word "Skill" and just use "Barrel 8." You will then get back ALL barrels that are an "8" for the different abilities (strength, cunning, etc.) which will give you a general idea of what similar, but not quite equal, equipment is selling for.

Also BE SURE you are not accidentally limiting your search by having some other option checked. There is a little "round thingie" (tech term) at the bottom of the listing that will clear out everything back to default.

Third, if you wind up trying to sell in Chat with a link and a WTS statement, PLEASE use the TRADE channel. Just type /trade to get there and your stuff will say "[TRADE} [useridme] WTS Gargle Blaster, 1 million" right alongside the other [GENERAL] posts.

The thing is, if you use TRADE, EVERYONE who did not intentionally opt out of TRADE Chat by unclicking it in User Preferences will see your post, even though they are in [General]. A lot of people do not understand that if they list in TRADE, their stuff will be visible in [General] because having [TRADE] "on" is the default position and few people bother to turn it off. But for those who specifically do not want to see the clutter of WTS, WTB, WTT stuff you completely circumvent what they are trying to do, so show them the courtesy.

This does not work for me it just previews the item, is there something wrong with my SWTOR or is it that im a so called *noob*

You must first click on where you want the item description to go. For example, if you want it to go into "chat", click on the chat box first, so that you have a flashing cursor there, and then SHIFT-click on the item.

You can also do this in the GTN.