Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

When you got around 710 long thread going on about people not being able to play you pretty much didn't calculated the demand very well.

We have no idea how many people you invited or the ratio US VS EU.

There is no clear language about when you think you will be finished or how much % of the people managed to get invited.

When the population decreases is not my concern is it?

You can merge servers or provide a good game so it won't necessary.

As long as you're not giving a bit more specif information you get no understanding from your costumers.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one thing to say to 99% of posters here.

Goooood

GOOOOOOOOOD!

Let the hate flow through you.

Also, I got in 2 beta weekends and didn't get into Early Access today, and I'm totally fine with that. I don't want to get frustrated with a thousand other level 1 players camping spawn zones for an hour so we can ding level 2.

They never promised more than 5-days-early access anyway. You're taking rumors of *extra* early access that flew around only yesterday, and treating them like they're your sacred birthright. Chill out.

Right on Brutha!!

Im just wondering one litle thing her, if BW controls the demand and the suply , AKA Server and players,, isnt it kinda stupid the thay want to add servers after demand, when thay control the demand as well,,

As i see it, and how it worked on most, if not all EGA i tried, To lett all the players in on EGA in one go is easy. YOU allrdy know the full demand of players that will be playing. so, you add servers for that nummbers and then + some, worked on Conan, Aion,.

THe add server after demand is what you do when game go live for the not Preorder, then you dont know how meny will joine in.

worst mmo launch ever. everyone expected lag and crashing servers, but not you keeping >85% of the pre-orderers out on the first day. this is completely ridiculous especially after seeing how easily the stress-test server could handle a much larger amount of players.

one might expect you to have people in planning divisions that know what they are doing. there is no plausible reason to keep the large majority of players out unless you are completely unprepared.

originally posted by kinegos

this isn't a troll, and isn't exactly qq although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that i've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other mmo games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, i just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, ea/bw - what exactly are you afraid of?

Copy and paste!

The only way this should have been done is to have given all pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. Ce customers get 7 days, se get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an mmo franchise.

At any rate, i love this game. I love bw. But i truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

qft mah sith brothers and sisters

Edited by Catreina

Oh was to late for page 700.haha Holy thats a lots of posts. Well waves are done for today maybe tomorrow. Congrats on everyone who got in today, and A Huge Congrats to Bioware for realsing their early access. How many years was it in the making like over 7? I think I knew about it 7 years ago, funny 7 days till it comes out today haha.

I pre-ordered the game like the 1st day it came out but sadly didn't get my code until August 8th do my store having a lack of them or something. Oh well I am sure very soon I will get to join this amazing game:D

Wonder what page everyone is on now. Cant keep up to these 1 post a second.haha

I just wanted to lock my toon names in. I did not care if the game ran great. This is so stupid.

Same here. I didn't even care if I could get into the game, I just wanted to know I would like the name of my char that I would be spending hundreds of hours on. That is all...

I swear these whiner's remind me of the people I deal with every day. I work for the phone company and I deal with people who think that if they throw a big enough tantrum they can make someone dance to their tune. "Well we're just going to cancel the service..." "Well I just won't pay this bill"...."I'm writing the paper"...seriously I can't tell you how many times I've run into this...these people aren't even that mad, they're just hoping they can 'scare' someone into giving them their freakin pacifier!

HERE !! HERE!! Cheers!! I agree.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD (AS WE KNOW IT)

Athene, Swifty, and Towliee are getting in the FIRST WAVES. The first two did not pre order, and towliee is noted saying he pre ordered in OCTOBER.

These guys are internet streamers, and they get to jump the line?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=7756

Well as if they didnt preorder there is no code for early access thats a load of crap.

imo launch was terrible because of lack of communication...obviously we know why they are doing waves..no idea why they are stopping so early in the day..are servers going to be easier to throw up tomorrow morning as oppose to now? -- they say first come first server which is understandable, but no ACTUAL timeframe for anyone... I personally do not care because it's not like you can rush for world first 50 or something since there are 100k + people already level 25+ ...just kinda wish i had some sort of timeframe?

Took me about 1 minute to type this garbage out..so how hard is it for them to type out "we expect to allow 250k players in a day..or whatever it may be with a total of 1mil pre-orders or whatever it may be so you can kinda get an estimate from that"

trash launch hope the game doesn't cater to carebears and fail miserably like WoW

Doesn't everybody get in by the 20th anyway? Isn't that like next week? It's a game,you will live. What were ya doin all the years there was no game?

i think the main problem/issuse people are worried about is getting in for name creation >.>; they only reason why i preordered was to get claim to a good name and not be a name with a number at the end or (xXx____xXx)

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.