StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

Well i see that many are frustrated and i was also dissapointed to not being able to play the game right away.

Well honestly i know i ll be able to play it pretty soon.

You know i had several experiences of game launches the last years in the MMO world and none of them was perfect or strange.

basically you can choose between pest or cholera.

from a players point of view, not only being able to access the game is important, but even more the balancing of one's server is VERY important.

Granting full flight access to the game providing enough servers to rush that led in one game launch to two very ugly things:

1. tons of people in the newbie zones and

2. after several weeks, some servers were totaly unbalanced and some already deserted which had to be shut down soon afterwards.

(Guess which game that was)

Then on another very pretty game from the asian region, they learned from that as it seems and opened the servers slowly and were monitoring the balance and forbid players to choose the side they wanted, if it was already too crowded regarding the balance.

OMG imagine the comments on the forums, it was hell, in the end though it served the playerss since afterwards servers were pretty balanced.

I could continue the stories but guess what none of them was pretty from a first day gaming experience point of view.

The idea from EA for having early access and granting that in waves, i do understand that as a prevention of overcrowding in the newbie regions too extremely, and secondly monitoring the required capacities, which (as a computer scientist myself i know can be pretty ugly) i'd rather do carefully then badly. So the basic idea of letting people in in waves sounds like a very good idea.

critics on this aprroach are clearly:

provide an ETA, you knew in advance how many preorders you had, so based on the huge amounts of beta testers you should be able to do at least an educated guess when you will open the access for players, regardless of your monitoring. We are speaking of days, not hours.

secondly, i would presume this whole feature of wave access with whatever launch reasoning behind the idea to provide as much of a nice launch experience as possible, should be "standard" and expected in nowadays mmo launches. If you are already using us with this early access thing to get it smootly done, don't charge extra 5€ and let us wait without any time guess at all.

Regards

Edited by Fendril_Tharkun

BW and fanboys... honestly.. what did u expect from this ?!

lol.. first not telling us exact start dates, then saying UP to 5 days, then extending to 7 days, then telling us minutes from their "waves-plan" what they actually planned and going to do...

now they invited like 10% maybe from all head-starts...

so what do u mean by u not understand why we are upset ?

Edited by kabouT

The good news is that by cancelling your preorder you did nothing for your early access....and you will still get the invite because you already entered your pre-order code. :rolleyes:

But let me get this straight....if by cancelling your pre-order as a protest to not getting 7 full days of early access (when you were promised at least 1 only) you are hoping that by starting later - 20th or later- you will somehow be magically ahead of everyone else?

Cancelling preorders by not getting into early access has to be the most illogical and....well....dumbest thing I have ever seen...in..my...life. Which is saying alot because I have dealt with a lot of stupid people.

Life isnt fair. You wont be level 1 with everyone else in SWTOR land level 50. Get a grip. :D ppl are so stupid :D

If I cancel my preorder (I'm giving them another day to sort this stuff out) then it's to prove a point. The communication of all this was terrible. Telling people extremely late that it would be staggered, never giving us a general date for our waves, etc.

The whole thing seems very haphazard. And Origin has been up and down for the past several hours on top of all that.

If I cancel my preorder, it will be to say "I like your game, but your release was ****. I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is. You do something this stupid again and I'm gone, no matter how much I like your game."

Just posting to say that I am also cancelling my pre-order. What little faith I had left in Bioware/EA was destroyed today. Today was the first time I heard about 'waves' for early access - this really should of been stated when I handed over my money for the pre-order. I pre-ordered to get a head start on the masses of idiots that populate launch days - and thats my perogative as a paying customer.

Add this to the fact that the servers arn't actually ready for launch and they're using the early access as another stress test, and I think I'll leave it six months and see what state the game is in then. I was willing to forgive its shortcomings until today, and I've figured out that I'm just not that desperate to play it.

Back to Skyrim for now.

Haha just cause you didn't get in on day 1 of the added extra two days of early access.....good less whiny people around

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishboyy

i just want to know why no-one seems concerned that the servers are all full now and the people currently playing right now will mostly still be playing tomorrow, so what happens tomorrow? they only let in 20% the amount of people of today? and the 15th will be worse because people have already booked it off, so its going to get exponentially smaller the amount of invites per day, the only way around it is to open more servers and if they have to do that theres no difference in opening them now or later, it makes no sense to me.

I think its probably because full is a relative term when they can just increase server capacity by opening more planetary instances.

A big ol' *** to this. Either that spells HUGE trouble coming or limited servers up today. Maybe they only have like one small hub up.....if its all full and they haven't even gotten to the people who pre-ordered in early August then wow....***

Invitation to Play the Game Early

Starting December 13, 2011, 7:00AM EST (Pacific: December 13th, 4:00AM PST; European: December 13th, 12:00PM GMT, 1:00PM CET), The Old Republic will begin emailing invitations to start your Early Game Access. Invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox!

now read carefully or they might have to break it down Barney style for you....throughout means 24/7 it does not say on a daily basis, it says throughout starting today....enough with the only 4 waves per day.

the person who created this post claims more invites will sent on wednesday

read stickies before post fanboy