Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Ah, to read, to lurk, and to have people get me to think. Just awesome. :D

I think a lot of misunderstanding about the information given at the Guild Summit is going around. Many people have unwittingly equated SGRs "soon, with new content" with "not until an expansion." Then again, there are other features that the devs talked about as "coming soon" not related to any romance content and players think "expac."

I think the same thing is going on here. I think part of the reason for some of the delay at this point is to finish SGR stories for leveling content as well as for those ready to start Chapter 4. I have no doubt that they are working their fins off for all new romance content while keeping the same great quality of storytelling in place. Many players really be really unhappy if they made SGR only for endgame content. However, I don't feel they'd be that exclusive of a fair chunk of the player base. Not after maintaining a sense of inclusion in a community that is generally not very accepted in the gaming community. Not just the LGBT players, but those are PFLAG as well.

It's easy to be negative, and hard to keep faith. Many of us have talked about it before(Suaine made a great post about that a page or so back), so it can be frustrating. I'm going to stick to having faith due to the quality of the dev's response at the summit, and the quality of this game as a whole.

My first BioWare game was Baldur's Gate. I've been a devoted BioWare fan since it came out. I do have, and have always had faith in BioWare, so I can relate. They will do the right thing, just as they always have. :)

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first BioWare game was Baldur's Gate. I've been a devoted BioWare fan since it came out. I do have, and have always had faith in BioWare, so I can relate. They will do the right thing, just as they always have. :)

After a couple of game companies burned me over the last 10 years, I will admit I'm a little leery. However, until BW proves otherwise, I'll continue to enjoy and recommend their games.

Baldur's Gate 1&2, and Throne of Bhaal were my first Bioware games.

Edited by natashina

After a couple of game companies burned me over the last 10 years, I will admit I'm a little leery. However, until BW proves otherwise, I'll continue to enjoy and recommend their games.

Baldur's Gate 1&2, and Throne of Bhaal were my first Bioware games.

The only thing that makes me a bit apprehensive about this game is the publisher... EA has a long track record of shady deals and not taking care of their fans.

By shady, I mean what they did to WestWood studios a few months after Earth & Beyond came out. Gutted the entire Development team, and put their own DEVs on the game, which quickly went downhill.

EVE was such a Godsend back then. :D

But yeah, I fear for BioWare's safety with EA hanging over their heads.

Please go easy with the EA bashing. That way we can avoid any thread derailing. :cool:

Indeed. They do read these, I got a post deleted because it mention the P word (P O L I T I C S) which is ok because my question was answered.

Though another question I have is when this is released, will there be an option for resetting the companion story arcs. It should be optional at least because some players will be happy with where their story led, some players will want to go back and change it up a little because of the new feature not previously available.

I have also heard a rumor that it isn't coming out until the companion stories are farther extended. Which that is understandable in how it would work easier for them to put in the game, but I don't like it, I don't think the female companions should wait until after you are level 50 (or whatever level the current companion arcs can be completely finished at) to become lesbians, etc....

Please go easy with the EA bashing. That way we can avoid any thread derailing. :cool:

I did go easy on them, honestly. I do admit to cringing when I heard they were partnered a couple years ago, though. I heard they've gotten quite a bit better since 03, though. Praying it holds true now. lol

Personally I have absolutely no desire for this at all. Can't see my Sith Warrior romancing his male companions. But I guess if that's what floats your boat.......

well, if that makes you feel better... my female sith warrior hates Quinn with a passion, and so did the male warrior I played before :rolleyes:

vette, on the other hand ... :D

Indeed. They do read these, I got a post deleted because it mention the P word (P O L I T I C S) which is ok because my question was answered.

Um, I wasn't referring to EA or anyone else like that deleting/policing the thread. I meant that I didn't want the topic of EA taking over the thread by the posters. :)

Though another question I have is when this is released, will there be an option for resetting the companion story arcs. It should be optional at least because some players will be happy with where their story led, some players will want to go back and change it up a little because of the new feature not previously available.

After thinking about it, I believe that the devs are possibly going to add new companion arcs for those already at max level, as well as new stories for leveling toons with their companions. If they do both, it will not only encourage people to play alts, but will also keep their max toon's storyline going. That way they can give a chance to introduce all new romance content throughout multiple sections of the storyline.

As far as some sort of reset...well, I'm not sure. I can see your point, but I think they have another solution in mind. I wouldn't know at this point, but I am not going to assume the worst. I think this will be handled well. :cool:

I have also heard a rumor that it isn't coming out until the companion stories are farther extended. Which that is understandable in how it would work easier for them to put in the game, but I don't like it, I don't think the female companions should wait until after you are level 50 (or whatever level the current companion arcs can be completely finished at) to become lesbians, etc....

It's just that: a rumor. ;) There is a lot of quotes from devs and videos from the Guild Summit that states a lot of things contrary to that rumor. Like I said earlier, I don't think Bioware is going to exclude that part of the player base after all they've done to include them. Extending the companion's stories further could very well mean for both the leveling and end game experiences. Not so much just one or the other.

To me, it doesn't seem like they are taking the easy route(which would be just tacking on SGR storylines only for the end content,) and are fleshing out the stories as a whole. From what I saw at the panel, they are working to make sure the story flows for SGR, OGR and other romance/friendship content to come. Judging by Bioware's history for superior storytelling in its games, I would bet money that this is the case.

Edited by natashina

well, if that makes you feel better... my female sith warrior hates Quinn with a passion, and so did the male warrior I played before :rolleyes:

vette, on the other hand ... :D

By the way Vette says EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW when you and DS Jaesa propose a threesome, she's either A. Straight, or B. NOT into threesomes. And as probably the most old fashioned lady in the game, romance wise, I would guess C. Both of the above. :)

"you will be tempted to take off your clothes and touch each other, but DO NOT touch each other.....because you will get clamidia (spelling?) ..... and DIE!"

Is this related to my comments about how Bioware is fleshing out the stories for SGR, and why it's taking awhile for new romance content? Please give some context for this post.

Edited by natashina

Is this related to my comments about how Bioware is fleshing out the stories for SGR, and why it's taking awhile for new romance content? Please give some context for this post.

Sorry was a reply to a post someone made in an earlier page that made me laugh and reminded me of that line, I would have to find it and quote it. Though you make your point, if it is deleted for being irrelevent, so be it.

The offensive comes with the clarification of exactly what the toggle would entail. (I think, mainly, there's a separate thread for it hence it's disclusion from this thread).

Haven't found that thread about the romance toggles, would you be able to link it by chance?, interested in seeing that discussion

Sorry was a reply to a post someone made in an earlier page that made me laugh and reminded me of that line, I would have to find it and quote it. Though you make your point, if it is deleted for being irrelevent, so be it.

As long as you give context to the person in the thread you were referring to, it's okay. Just please make it clearer next time. :)

Do you have any other ideas for SGR? Or who out of the current companions you'd like to be with? I'm also hoping they expand on the all the romances, and make such companions as Pierce, LS Jaesa or even perhaps Scorpio available for SGR and OGR. It sounds like Kailyo might be an option for SGR, although please keep any details to the spoiler tags. :( I'm not trying to sound rude, but I'm saving the mystery for the toon I've set aside for female SGRs, my IA.

On a side note: I've relented a little on my stance on Quinn, after progressing in the non romantic side of his quest story. I still wouldn't want him for a romance companion, but I could be friends in that co-worker/"bromance" sort of way. So I can see some of the appeal now. He's just not my type. :p

Edited by natashina

one quick clarification. What does OGR stand for? I thought you meant opposite gender romance, which of course is already in the game. But you were talking about making it available, so maybe I am misunderstanding the abbreviation.

Haven't found that thread about the romance toggles, would you be able to link it by chance?, interested in seeing that discussion

I'd suggest you pm to the mods about this if you have further questions. :cool:

After a google search, many of those romance toggle threads were redirected here. The most recent one was closed on 3/2 and directed here.

On 3/13, the following announcement was posted on the forums:

Hello Everyone,

We have recently removed a number of posts (and responses to those posts) discussing toggles for same gender romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

As a gentle reminder: This thread is for the discussion of the how and when of implementation of same gender romances. Please stay constructive, on topic, and be kind to your fellow forum members. If you see someone who is breaking the forum rules, do not respond; please flag their post and the Community Team will investigate. Flag, don't fight!

Edited by natashina

one quick clarification. What does OGR stand for? I thought you meant opposite gender romance, which of course is already in the game. But you were talking about making it available, so maybe I am misunderstanding the abbreviation.

Yep, it does mean opposite gender romance. I was referring to expanding current OGRs when the introduce the story update for all romance content, including the SGR arcs coming out. Certain characters, such as Pierce, Scorpio, Gault and LS Jaesa are not available for romance at all. I was in favor of those companions being romance options for both SGR and OGR. ;)

That way it gives more content for everyone.

Edited by natashina

As long as you give context to the person in the thread you were referring to, it's okay. Just please make it clearer next time. :)

Do you have any other ideas for SGR? Or who out of the current companions you'd like to be with? I'm also hoping they expand on the all the romances, and make such companions as Pierce, LS Jaesa or even perhaps Scorpio available for SGR and OGR. It sounds like Kailyo might be an option for SGR, although please keep any details to the spoiler tags. :( I'm not trying to sound rude, but I'm saving the mystery for the toon I've set aside for female SGRs, my IA.

On a side note: I've relented a little on my stance on Quinn, after progressing in the non romantic side of his quest story. I still wouldn't want him for a romance companion, but I could be friends in that co-worker/"bromance" sort of way. So I can see some of the appeal now. He's just not my type. :p

Right now I believe most every male and female (except aliens and other exceptions like LS Jaesa) are available for opposite gender romance, although I think they could possibly add limits. I don't think it would be right to allow any companion to be romanced by either male or female. Some characters actions and personalities seem to suggest that they would obviously be only straight, while some suggest that could only be homosexual (Kaliyo, though I haven't seen how any of the male romances with her go). But if the implement it they should distinguish between which characters are Bi, straight, or gay. Obviously, I couldn't become friends with a guy in real life and become attracted to him and be guaranteed that I could possibly have a romantic relationship with him. (I am straight, but it is just an analogy). It would be a bit bland if they made every single romancable character Bi.

EDIT and of course the ones you mentioned aren't available currently. Thought I thought pierce was romancable.

Edited by CJ_SAX_MAN

Right now I believe most every male and female (except aliens and other exceptions like LS Jaesa) are available for opposite gender romance, although I think they could possibly add limits. I don't think it would be right to allow any companion to be romanced by either male or female.

They aren't going with the "hero-sexuality/everyone is bi" approach. If you watch the video of the Guild Summit that has been posted, they address that.

Some characters actions and personalities seem to suggest that they would obviously be only straight, while some suggest that could only be homosexual (Kaliyo, though I haven't seen how any of the male romances with her go). But if the implement it they should distinguish between which characters are Bi, straight, or gay.

I'm going to tread with care here and simply say that people change. A companion's personality should not and is not defined by who they choose to love***. If there is a companion coming onto your character that you don't want, do what I do with Quinn. Ignore the [Flirt] option. If they expand the story, I'm sure that they will be more friendship arcs to go along with the romance arcs.

**Edit: Whether it be from the same gender or if it's an alien and a human.

EDIT and of course the ones you mentioned aren't available currently. Thought I thought pierce was romancable.

Alas, no. SW ladies get only one fade to black scene with him and it doesn't go further than that.

Edited by natashina

They aren't going with the "hero-sexuality/everyone is bi" approach. If you watch the video of the Guild Summit that has been posted, they address that.

I'm going to tread with care here and simply say that people change. A companion;s personality should not and is not defined by who they choose to love***. If there is a companion coming onto your character that you don't want, do what I do with Quinn. Ignore the [Flirt] option. If they expand the story, I'm sure that they will be more friendship arcs to go along with the romance arcs.

Edit: Whether it be from the same gender or if it's an alien and a human.

Alas, no. SW ladies get only one fade to black scene with him and it doesn't go further than that.

I actually need to watch that video and read up some more on what bioware has talked about, I will keep watching this thread.

Hey all, I haven't been around the forums much lately, but since the videos from the Guild Summit are finally on YouTube, I made a transcript, as best as I could, of the SGR question from the last panel.

You can see the last panel here -- SGR stuff starts right at 21:00.

There ya go! :D

Also, please refer to Stephen Reid's quotes that Suaine posted on page 1.

Edited to add:

Q: Any update on same gender romance?

Daniel Erickson: It is coming and it is coming with story updates. It is something that depends on the writers and we want to do right, and writers have a long lead time. We did not want to just change all the dialogue for the other gender. That is not writing, that is not story telling. This was cut originally because of budget and time issues. We have designs, we know what romance options we want to put in for this. It is coming when full story comes, and full story is coming this year. We are still on track.

Edited by natashina

I think I've gone mad from waiting right around the end of February. It was a dark time. I think we all remember the wait for Q&As to release only to be disappointed again and again, feeling like we were not just waiting, but waiting without an end in sight.

I feel better now! Less like the world has it out for me. More hopeful. Definitely no longer inclined to write sternly worded letters to Bioware about this. They haven't always done SGRAs right, but many times they were the only people doing them at all and they've gotten progressively better at it. I'm excited to see what they have in store for us.

This has made me really smile over the last couple of days, and echoes a lot of my thoughts. It's how I feel about the game and the future changes as well. The storyline and roleplaying potential is skyhigh and climbing. :cool:

This has made me really smile over the last couple of days, and echoes a lot of my thoughts. It's how I feel about the game and the future changes as well. The storyline and roleplaying potential is skyhigh and climbing. :cool:

Agreed on that! My cynical nature has gone to sleep since we got an answer, and actually seeing them discuss it instead of reading the words... actually made me smile.

And I don't smile. :mad:

I'm definitely hyped enough to re-sub for another two months. My Twi'lek trooper in 1.2 should be enough to keep me occupied until SGRA has more news!

Side-note; I love how quiet this thread has gotten! Been awhile since I posted, but I've still been reading, and it just warms the hole where my heart should be! So little negativity (still the occasional crusader, but meh, at least we aren't under siege. :p), and it is *still* keeping afloat on the forum-list. :D

Agreed on that! My cynical nature has gone to sleep since we got an answer, and actually seeing them discuss it instead of reading the words... actually made me smile.

And I don't smile. :mad:

I'm definitely hyped enough to re-sub for another two months. My Twi'lek trooper in 1.2 should be enough to keep me occupied until SGRA has more news!

Side-note; I love how quiet this thread has gotten! Been awhile since I posted, but I've still been reading, and it just warms the hole where my heart should be! So little negativity (still the occasional crusader, but meh, at least we aren't under siege. :p), and it is *still* keeping afloat on the forum-list. :D

Some of the posters that have come in have mixed feelings about SGRs. I figure as long as they are being reasonable and polite, they should be responded to in the same way. I can understand, since there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding right now. I try not to dismiss anyone that has a different viewpoint of out hand while giving my take on their questions. Flag don't fight has become the mantra in the thread and it's working rather well.

And I still vote for LS Jaesa, Kailyo, Quinn(again, I've mellowed on him, though he isn't my type) and Mako to be romancable by all. :D

I don't think ALL love interests that are currently in the game are bisexual for our characters, but I really hope SGRs open up more options across the board.

Oh and everyone is cuter when they smile. ;)

Edited to add quote and silly comment.

Edited by natashina