Developer Dispatch: The Legacy System

CourtneyWoods

This patch will suck ..... Nothing new, plus SWTOR becomes like a hotdog, mix of everything and nothing. BW please shut down this game, so someone else can come up with another Star Wars title developed at least with basic knowledge of SW universe. BW you are proving all the time that you can mess up title, which already had millions of fans ....

Pathetic

Edited by Zilrota
rude/insults

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this brings a whole new realm of realism to the game. What about Ben Skywalker, who was in the GAS for a while, not being a Jedi, but still extraordinarily strong in the Force? I think having a bounty hunter that could use some Force abilities would be awesome! I could finally roll Aurra Sing!

Do Sith people even make love? There so evil i can only see them ****** and pilaging. How would a sith lord even keep track of all his conquests. He must have a child in every city thats if the people of the city live through the nuclear holocost that is visited on them. So I can only see a sith having slaves as part of his legacy and eventually they would kill there master so whats the point for a sith to have a legacy. I always liked to think the truely evil sith were imaculately concieved due to the fact the females all live so close to such true evil.

Will human, and other races that cross IMP REP boundaries, be able to re-pick their race? If I had known about this feature in the first place I would have picked a race that was not shared in order to get, say a Chis REP character.

The video also said you have this for all race/class combos. Is that one way, or will we be able to make a IMP Commando instead of bounty Hunter?

Im Mixed about this myself it seems very WoWish. I mean that I seem to think that the talents should stay where they are at the moment. However the buffs from other classes would be great but thats it! Also the word on the street you can't use these things very much and only when you got a companion out and the buff of heroic moment or what ever that buff is going.

Along with this the leveling help isnt really needed I mean its super easy to lvl a toon up to 50 I did so my trooper to that level by the 3 months and its been out for a while and I have penty of alts on both sides of the war and I still made it to 50 on him. Now the other stuff in the patch is going to be a blast... legacy system not so much.

yeeaaah right.

what i saw till today is freekin me out. seriously guys?????

mixing the talents from class to class and even mixing the races is just a stupid and bad idea.

there is a history to that game and you guys just can't do whatever you want. an imperial agent or a bounty hunter is using force abilities???

THATS JUST SUCKS BIGTIME

and a pure blood sith plays a jedi or a trooper??? thats the big hit with legacy system and you are even proud of it???

if a pure bloods son or daughter betrayes the side and go republic the father would hunt him/her down and kill mim/her only through pure pride.

and if a member of a force sensitive family goes bountyhunter than because he isn't force sensitive. i can track und hunt down people as sith as well. but if i can use the force as lets say bounty hunter why would i risk the overheating of my weapons when i can shoot with lightning.

i don't konw, i just don't get it what should be fun on that system. epic battles rise between different charakters like the fight between boba fett and darth vader or like jango fett against obi wan.

that fight wouldn't be epic anymore if obi wan had also a jet pack and jango will use force telekinetic don't you think.

that would be for me a reason to quit the old republic because this system is just plain stupid. according to the gameplay to the lore, to everything.

what happens is the game becomes a huge senseless sponge where everybody can do everything.

why should i play other classes then?? thats the reason to play it. a chalange!!!! to explore something new.

but what i saw in the trailer you guys posted gives me the creeps. a jedi with a flamethrower???

you really managed it to get every fun out of the game. the list is that long so i stay only to that point. all i do is playing the classes through their story because thats just the only thing that makes fun at all.

if its not buggy, its just not fun to play or senseless like for example the crew skills.

i am very disappointed in that. i just keep on going playing my story lines through. for that i love you. the voice over story telling class lines are amazing and either thrilling or just fun to play.

long live the casual players because for mmo players this game just don't have anything if the legacy system like it is comes.

Someone has been drinking the haterade. this is an awesome Idea, and it made me sign up for a year. I can't wait for my bounty hunter to force lightning and rocket blast you to death :D

This patch will suck ..... Nothing new, plus SWTOR becomes like a hotdog, mix of everything and nothing. BW please shut down this game, so someone else can come up with another Star Wars title developed at least with basic knowledge of SW universe. BW you are proving all the time that you can mess up title, which already had millions of fans ....

Pathetic

Lol nothing new? Then what do you think legacy system, fp, op, and warzone is? lol. Also they know what they are doing they have as you put it Basic knowledge of star wars, have you even played kotor? fing noob lol.

Edited by Caadeus

Did anyone take into account that 50 th lvl human gets no class unlocks? It should be that any char at lvl 50 should be able to choose any race they want unlocked per once per lvl 50 reached. Whose to say I want to play the same race over again no matter what the class.

I only have one central complaint in the entire scheme of things, just one.

Everything is unlocked HOW?

Recently saw that they're making it so the race/class restrictions can be lifted: Good idea. My Twi'lek trooper idea was suddenly a possibility. I'll admit that I saw the pts forums and saw that there was a level 50 prerequisite to unlock a race. I rolled a Twi'lek knight, jumped in.

Now its a little hard to stay attentive when you know you're pushing a character to 50 so you can make the character you really want to make. I figured there might be another way to make a twi'lek trooper ~ after some reading, there apparently is...credits.

Dat rite der guna bez uh probe-lem.

Standard things that cost creds: Crew missions cost creds, crafting costs creds, gear costs creds, removing item mods costs creds, repairing gear costs creds, traveling costs creds, taxis cost creds, class abilities cost creds, ship upgrades cost creds, social items you've earned the correct social level for cost creds, PvP gear costs PvP currency...wait...I think I messed up...one of these things is not like the other.

PvP gear costs PvP currency. Why...THAT MAKES SENSE! I PvP: I earn creds, sure, yet I earn a special PvP currency (warzone commendations) that gets spent on PvP-beneficial stuff!

The comparison: So when I earn legacy experience (valor points) and legacy levels (valor ranks), I also earn credits (credits) and a special currency called "credits" (warzone commendations) that get spent on legacy-specific stuff.

"Legacy Points" need to be a special currency which get spent on legacy-specific stuff, earned by gaining legacy experience and/or levels. Legacy points, not credits.

Edited by Eerekai

yeeaaah right.

mixing the talents from class to class and even mixing the races is just a stupid and bad idea.

there is a history to that game and you guys just can't do whatever you want. an imperial agent or a bounty hunter is using force abilities???

THATS JUST SUCKS BIGTIME

and a pure blood sith plays a jedi or a trooper??? thats the big hit with legacy system and you are even proud of it???

if a pure bloods son or daughter betrayes the side and go republic the father would hunt him/her down and kill mim/her only through pure pride.

and if a member of a force sensitive family goes bountyhunter than because he isn't force sensitive. i can track und hunt down people as sith as well. but if i can use the force as lets say bounty hunter why would i risk the overheating of my weapons when i can shoot with lightning.

i don't konw, i just don't get it what should be fun on that system. epic battles rise between different charakters like the fight between boba fett and darth vader or like jango fett against obi wan.

that fight wouldn't be epic anymore if obi wan had also a jet pack and jango will use force telekinetic don't you think.

that would be for me a reason to quit the old republic because this system is just plain stupid. according to the gameplay to the lore, to everything.

what happens is the game becomes a huge senseless sponge where everybody can do everything.

why should i play other classes then?? thats the reason to play it. a chalange!!!! to explore something new.

but what i saw in the trailer you guys posted gives me the creeps. a jedi with a flamethrower???

you really managed it to get every fun out of the game. the list is that long so i stay only to that point. all i do is playing the classes through their story because thats just the only thing that makes fun at all.

if its not buggy, its just not fun to play or senseless like for example the crew skills.

i am very disappointed in that. i just keep on going playing my story lines through. for that i love you. the voice over story telling class lines are amazing and either thrilling or just fun to play.

long live the casual players because for mmo players this game just don't have anything if the legacy system like it is comes.

Look I don't agree with the idea of mixing species in each faction or the idae of mixing Force/non-Force abilities with the Force/non-Force user classes either, but I think the Force and non-Force abilities should be mixed between each other, Force abilities between force users and non-Force abilities with non-Force users. I mean, I was even beginning to wonder when my Sith Juggernaut would learn Force Lightning like Sith Inquisitors.

Or if I'm gonna have a smuggler be a Force user, he should at least be able to equip himself with a lightsaber and jedi clothes.

yeeaaah right.

THATS JUST SUCKS BIGTIME

Ok.

Just because this idea is unorthodox and wasn't thought up of you, doesn't mean you can slander it.

1.Mixing up the class and talents can greatly diversify the game experience, making this game unlike all other MMOs.

2.Classes that use abilities not for their classes because of things like Force Sensitivity (i.e. Bounty Hunter using Force Shock) makes the story got deeper and makes a sort of "family line."

3.The different choices on the Legacy stuff would make the story more and more intense and thorough.

4.What the hell is wrong with a Jedi having a flamethrower???

Dude. You need to chill out and not critique on a new interactive story line that could inevitably be the greatest thing that happened to MMOs.

In conclusion, your argument is invalid good sir.

All I want is the option when u pick the dark side or light side if u on the republic side you can cross over to the empire like the real bad guys do on the movies and as well the species or race whatever you call it yoda and the squid head looking thing lol!

Sorry, but it has no logic.If any family tree had a force sensitive character in it, what does all this mean, that all members on that family can use Force?It's like everyone could be a Jedi in this univers. how come? (sorry for my poor english)

Sorry, but it has no logic.If any family tree had a force sensitive character in it, what does all this mean, that all members on that family can use Force?It's like everyone could be a Jedi in this univers. how come? (sorry for my poor english)

apparently there going by the male patern baldness gene. my dad and granddad were bald so i must go bald as i age due to genetic disposition. weapons and tech i can see passing down thru family. as well as use of different classes weapons. if my dad was a jedi i can see him teaching me in the saber combat art. my mom was a trooper and taught me to use an autocannon. so my bad seed self bh can use an autocannon instead of blaster pistol or a saber for close combat depending on if i equip it before combat depending on mob i fight. but both weapons would only have basic non advanced attacks. as all parents would have taught would have been basic skills. that i can see happening. or the pasing down of armor and weapons from one family member to another. the whole my grandmom's a twi'lek im a human my granddad's a sith confuses me greatly on a genetic level tho. lol

I was wondering if there is any thought on being able to bind legacy's with other players?

Like my wife plays with me and it would be nice if she could be my characters wife also on the family tree.

I for one am excited by the creativity and thought that is going into the legacy expansion. BW has an amazing staff that is at the forefront of MMORPG evolution. This new layer of the game is adding depth and an entirely new dimension to the TOR social landscape... If nothing else, Legacy is going to create an extra incentive to venture out through different classes, besides just the new story lines. This expansion will also create a stronger sense of community and give each player the feeling that they have more of a presence in that community... I can't wait until there is a family name that everyone on a server will recognize because there are so many characters with that surname that are strong competitors in the PvP realm.

Overall the legacy system may not seem like it offers a game changing experience, and that's because right now it isn't meant to. I feel like this is a sign of things to come and a glimpse into the Great minds at work at BW. This is just the initial Legacy Expansion, I'm sure that over the course of the next couple years there will be monumentous additions that bring the game a much deeper and more connected gaming experience. Right now it's just kind of adding a bit of fun and diversity to the gameplay by giving a few extra abilities that really only enhance the "tangibility" of your virtual avatar and kin! This is not meant to take away from the strengths of the different classes it is just adding more complexity to character builds for extra entertainment and extra customizability to keep the user more involved and engaged in the TOR universe!

I am on board with the Legacy Expansion! I mean isnt that one of man's main focuses in life... His Legacy? This is a first step in the right direction towards creating a more dynamic and more livable virtual escape, where by the user can become emerssed in the fantasy world of their building! (And it's a STARWARS world!!!)

Only comment so far, as CrowHorse hinted to, is to seriously consider making it possible to include other players in a family tree. I'm not sure exactly what that would entail as far as the technical/game storage/game size issues that would need to be resolved in order to accomplish that, but I can see that additional element bringing a lot more engagement from the players. Just like CrowHorse and his wife, I have a really close friend that I would like to brother up with and possibly meet new players that upon discussing our pasts we discover an exciting back story where we both realize that not only are we brother and sister but that our father is the emminating Sith prescence in the galaxy, and we choose to change our last name together, to take one or the others last name as our own, or to keep our established family names and design a family crest (or some other type of bond or sign that declares our shared ancestry and allows for Legacy trading) that binds our family trees together!

All in all, I am excited to see the Legacy system in action and I really can't wait to see what BW will come up with next! Keep up the good work!

wow guys its not even out yet please stop the hating. Also everyone must have missed the part where the developers even say the abilities are gonna be nerfed to hell and more of a emote/pve use. Also you guys need to realize this is a era of war where the jedi and republic are doing things they normally would not do. like take on adults and allow people/races they otherwise would have been against. Remember in kotor 2 u could make atton a jedi!!!!! So there is past examples of mixing of classes in the kotor universe You also need to keep in mind that your characters are the champions of the era and are special. So things like a trooper having force abilities and a pureblood as a jedi should be expected cuz u are special.

Has there been any official word whether we will see additional character slots added? While I haven't maxed my slots yet, I do have them planned out, and I'm shy about two slots that I'd like to have, possibly three.

After watching the video I am looking forward to see what the Legacy system brings.

The only burning question I have is how many times a day someone at the BW SWTOR offices yells a Braveheart reference at Senior Game Designer,William Wallace as he tries to work?