About this rated nonsense.

MashTactics

When I first heard that rated warzones were coming to SWTOR, I nearly crapped my pants.

I thought to myself, "Hey! Now I can team up with a group of buddies, get a good rating, and probably get good WarHero gear, right?"

Wrong.

From what I can tell, Rated Warzones are going to be exactly the same as normal warzones... except they have a new name, and give a new commendation. This commendation will be used to purchase gear that has no requirement. None at all.

So, assuming the above paragraph is true, and that I don't have bad info... what's the point?

Why have a rated warzone if there's no rating? Isn't that just a warzone? Since there's no rating?

Am I wrong here?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that gear is going to be a significantly smaller factor in warzones. It'll make the people with skill actually stand out.

What bugs me is that they went about it COMPLETELY the wrong way. An infinitely better solution would have been to either nerf expertise into the ground, or to get rid of the stat altogether. The absolute wrong answer in ANY mmo is to give away gear.

On a somewhat unrelated note... does anyone think that Bioware is going to end up strangling themselves in the long run with this welfare gear move?

Think about it. If there's no progression to be made in PvP in terms of gear... why PvP at all? Valor doesn't determine skill in any way.

I guess it just all makes me sad. There's no way for people to inspect you and say, "Wow! Look at that guy's gear! He must be an awesome PvPer since he had a rating high enough to purchase this!" or something like that.

Anyways, rant over.

TL;DR: There are only two things I know for certain in this world; Bert and Ernie are gay, and the end of a shoelace is called an aglet.

I don't know about you but the point of most any MMO is to gear up and PvP, at least in my opinion. Taking the grind out of getting the gear just speeds up that process. What I would like to see is something like Shaiya had with little rank icons next to your avatar showing your PvP rank.

Okay, so we're on the same page.

You realize, however, that after everyone has there WarHero gear (which will take a few weeks at the VERY longest), that there will be no more gear progression?

Valor means nothing. I have two WarHero DPS classes on my server that do 80-140k in the average warzone. That's TERRIBLE.

So, all that's left is to kill, kill, kill.

We need Rated Warzones that actually mean something. We need something that actually shows skill, but can also be progressed to.

Hmm...

How about arenas similar to WoW's? That was a good idea, implemented in a good way.

Unfortunately, this game isn't even remotely balanced enough to support competetive PvP on that scale.

Why have a rated warzone if there's no rating? Isn't that just a warzone? Since there's no rating?

As far as I understand it, there will be ratings and rankings.

PvP stats, such as kills, Group Rating, Solo Rating, MVP votes received, total Warzone wins, and more are now tracked and can be seen on the Warzone Window. Highest Solo and Group Ratings can also be seen on the Character page. Highest Solo and Group Ratings can also be seen on the "Who" list.

So you're not playing for gear but for getting the top spot in some ranking. Maybe it's not activated yet because...

Pre-Season One of Ranked Warzones has begun!Participate for more competitive matches and greater rewards.

which indicates that there is a transition phase in which there are no active ratings yet. But there will definitely be ratings. I really like the idea that you don't play PvP for items but for points and ratings instead, maybe they will also introduce titles or bragging items if you achieve certain ratings like they did in WoW.

Who knows what it will be in the future, it's off to a decent start. I never played WoW long enough to be pvp oriented, that garbage looked like runescape ported straight off the browser to a client based game, and I loved runescape. There should be something to fight for besides ranks obviously, perhaps a boss that only spawns once one faction takes over certain areas of Ilum.

Why PvP? Because it's fun.

I agree with this guy.

I've been maxed Battlemaster gear for a while now but I just like playing with friends. Sometimes we go up against premades and have a challenge. Sometimes I queue solo, and going up against premades can be even more of a challenge.

It's fun to mix it up (queue solo, queue with friends) and just see what the cards hold. I enjoy it. I can see how not everyone does, though. I don't really need the gear rewards to be satisfied with PvP in this game though. I like my class a lot, as well as playing with my friends, so I'm content.

Edit: Yes, what he mentioned about the rankings/ratings not appearing yet has to do with the preseason. Rankings/ratings will exit to the best of my knowledge on researching patch 1.2. The notes are extensive, I'll have to look over them again to understand it better.

Edited by Shlamorel

I don't get this thread. They've said on multiple occasions there will be ratings. "Ratings will be calculated after each match based on..."

Sound familiar? Be thorough with your reading of patch notes and interviews, saves you lots of time :)

I don't know about you but the point of most any MMO is to gear up and PvP, at least in my opinion. Taking the grind out of getting the gear just speeds up that process. What I would like to see is something like Shaiya had with little rank icons next to your avatar showing your PvP rank.

I don't know what MMO you've been playing before this, but this is simply not true. I've happily played quite a few MMO without gear progression, or where gear progression did not involve a grind, just participation in PVP. On the whole, I think NOT having gear progression is more fun, it prevents situations where groups of 'old' players in full gear demolish newcomers so badly that those newcomers stop participating. Always funny to see the fully geared old crowd complaining how there's no more PVP... (well duh).

The only people who can be against the starter gear set being sold for cash are those that are afraid of being ripped by people in gear 2 tiers below theirs and would rather be facing cannon fodder in levelling greens.

You still have to grind tokens to gain the highest level of gear all the new system means is there are no people fighting without expertise whatsoever and with a bit of hard work everyone has access to the best available gear.

I can't wait, because I will be more often matched with and against better players, which is a more enjoyable experience for me. That is the biggest draw for me, all gear is just an endless treadmill anyways so it doesn't matter to me how it is acquired, I will get it.

There is a rating. My premade and I will strive for high e-peen numbers and that should be enough. My biggest worry is that it's a system with "the more you play the more you gain" which I dislike. I'm hoping it's an arena type system where you get points at the end of the week based on your highest rating.

Also when I play chess and my k rating increases when I win, I don't ask for more pawns, bishops or knights.

Edited by Orangerascal

Why is it fun for you?

Because you can kill stuff? Sure, I enjoy that too. However, there's no sense of real progression.

Hell, there's no progression at ALL that's centered around player skill.

This is to everyone: if you do not enjoy the diverse and challenging fighting against other players then pvp is not for you. Seriously if you do not like what is at the core at pvp you are not going to like it by dressing it up. I want to play with and against people who want to fight other players and want to win above all else.

I don't want to play with or against people who don't care what is going on and just care about getting gear. In pvp when you cap out gear the game starts. Gear is a means to the end in pvp which is competive fighting. Gear progression does not even make sense in pvp unless you want a foundation that is permanently broken.

If you like chasing gear pve, as that is the point of pve. The point of pvp is fighting other players. For years in mmogs there were no rewards for pvping yet people still did it because that is what pvp is. This new wave of pvers coming over to pve is great as long as they learn to embrace what pvp is and why it is great fun. That wont happen if it ignorantly gets twisted into something that is not fun

I thought to myself, "Hey! Now I can team up with a group of buddies, get a good rating, and probably get good WarHero gear, right?"

You are exactly the kind of people I can't stand. A group of buddies, huh? Top gear through good ratings, huh?

Get it into your head, NOT EVERYONE is playing with friends, has friends, even WANTS to have friends in an mmo. Many if not most of us like it to just log in any time, queue for warzone ALONE and work at their TOP gear comfortably ALONE (if there's no chance to work at top gear alone, there's no sense to play. Even for those who likes challenge, it's not fun when some "gladiator" (speaking wow terms here) owns you only because of his gear).

You will get your rating. Hell, you can even get a different color for the same gear as the rest of us to show how much you're special. That's it. Nobody cares. Bye.