Main stat for Commando - combat medic?

Sunworshiper

Focus on crit/surge...base stats of aim and tech for healing and crit/surge. Alacrity only helps 1 of our heals since ALACRITY DOES NOT LOWER GCD. The +30% crit heals means crit is the stat you want...and it goes hand in hand with surge.

Actually there is a lot of evidence that suggest that when GCD would be reached in a given scenario, that the GCD will be decreased. There are videos on YT and I think it's mentioned on Sithwarrior. Even if it only affected one heal, who cares? That's our main heal that generates 6 charges.

Don't discount Alacrity, Having your heals hit for more is one thing, but they still take time to activate.

No one discounted Alacrity. I don't mention it because it isn't what I consider a main stat.

• 4 weeks later...
Alacrity dose not affect GCD... it lowers the activation time for cast and channel ability's and there for is good for healers as it lower the cast time of big heals... where my 3sec cast heal is now 1.8sec

Focus on crit/surge...base stats of aim and tech for healing and crit/surge. Alacrity only helps 1 of our heals since ALACRITY DOES NOT LOWER GCD. The +30% crit heals means crit is the stat you want...and it goes hand in hand with surge.

Wrong. Alacrity affects the global cooldown on those abilities whoes activation time it lowers. For instance, if you had an instant spell and a 1.5s cast spell, when you get alacrity, your instant spell's GCD is still 1.5s, while your casted spell's GCD is lower.

This is all theory and opinion until they add combat logs.

My personal theoretical opinion is that I do not like alacrity. It comes with no efficiency. Yes, I can get heals off faster in that panic moment, thus increasing my healing per second. And also increasing my ammo used per second, burning it up quickly. On the other hand, I could increase my power/crit and have slower, bigger heals that that also increase my healing per second without increasing my ammo used per second. With no way to increase ammo regeneration, efficiency will be king in this game.

Of course there is more to it than that, considering alacrity and firing off heals faster will also get you to the next supercharged cells faster, etc.

Again, it's all theorycraft and opinion.

Try things and see what works for you. In most MMO's, you want a healthy balance of secondary stats anyway. We wont be able to determine specific breakpoints where certain stats lose or gain value until we have combat logs and parses to actually see and test things.

This is all theory and opinion until they add combat logs.

My personal theoretical opinion is that I do not like alacrity. It comes with no efficiency. Yes, I can get heals off faster in that panic moment, thus increasing my healing per second. And also increasing my ammo used per second, burning it up quickly. On the other hand, I could increase my power/crit and have slower, bigger heals that that also increase my healing per second without increasing my ammo used per second. With no way to increase ammo regeneration, efficiency will be king in this game.

Of course there is more to it than that, considering alacrity and firing off heals faster will also get you to the next supercharged cells faster, etc.

Again, it's all theorycraft and opinion.

Try things and see what works for you. In most MMO's, you want a healthy balance of secondary stats anyway. We wont be able to determine specific breakpoints where certain stats lose or gain value until we have combat logs and parses to actually see and test things.

True but bear in mind something: most of the time you'll get pushback on your heal, even when skilled. And then you have to factor interrupts, stuns, the whole story. Getting the heal out faster may not be efficient by itself, but if you can get the heal out at all you're still doing better than somebody who couldn't cast the heal out fast enough for some reason (got interrupted, stunned, pushed back, target died). Burst healing is often more important than efficient healing.

True but bear in mind something: most of the time you'll get pushback on your heal, even when skilled. And then you have to factor interrupts, stuns, the whole story. Getting the heal out faster may not be efficient by itself, but if you can get the heal out at all you're still doing better than somebody who couldn't cast the heal out fast enough for some reason (got interrupted, stunned, pushed back, target died). Burst healing is often more important than efficient healing.

Are we talking about pvp here? If so I will bow out as I have no experience or interest in it. But I could certainly see alacrity and its burst healing being a very valued stat there.

Edited by lueckjathom

IMO, getting off topic here. The main stat for combat medic, as for all commandos, is AIM.

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

The OP was clearly (despite the poor title of his thread) looking for the best secondary stat to shoot for as a healer, but thanks for your insightful input.

-Sergeant Sarcasm

Edited by lueckjathom

Couldnt agree more - in a 2 on 1 supporting a Jedi or similar regular healing with longer cast times is fine. But when your getting hammered, and need a fast big boost, pumping out 3 or 4 healing probes quickly is whats needed - can be the difference.

Are we talking about pvp here? If so I will bow out as I have no experience or interest in it. But I could certainly see alacrity and its burst healing being a very valued stat there.

Mostly, yes, but it does help in some pve fights as well, mostly those where everybody has to be mobile or the damage dealt by mobs is very bursty in nature.

Crit/surge has won me over which goes against any type of healing in any other game. Currently with only level 50 purple mods I have 40% healing crit chance with the smuggler buff and like 72% increased crit heals. AMP crits for 3.2k and MP crits for above 5k. Kolto bomb grits for 2k. My MP has a cast time of 1.73 with the talented alacrity buff which is always active due to my crit %. I might toy with getting MP down to 1.5 sec but at this point stacking crit is too dang fun.

Crit/surge has won me over which goes against any type of healing in any other game. Currently with only level 50 purple mods I have 40% healing crit chance with the smuggler buff and like 72% increased crit heals. AMP crits for 3.2k and MP crits for above 5k. Kolto bomb grits for 2k. My MP has a cast time of 1.73 with the talented alacrity buff which is always active due to my crit %. I might toy with getting MP down to 1.5 sec but at this point stacking crit is too dang fun.

A question... Is the alacrity buff a 5% bonus of your base alacrity, a 5% cast time reduction... something else? Because for the 5% buff to be worth something if it's an alacrity buff, you'd need to stack quite some alacrity in the first place...

Edited by GeckoOBac

A question... Is the alacrity buff a 5% bonus of your base alacrity, a 5% cast time reduction... something else? Because for the 5% buff to be worth something if it's an alacrity buff, you'd need to stack quite some alacrity in the first place...

5% cast time reduction.