So question about the Imperial Royal Guard...

Wolfninjajedi

So something just popped into my mind, that didn't seem to click well. In ROTJ when Luke is brought to the DS 2 by Vader and he meets the Emperor he says.

"Guards, leave us."- Sidious

The guards leave...and then throughout the fight and up until Sidious was in danger, where are they? As I understand it, the Royal Guards stay within earshot of the guy and they are suppose to stop any assassination attempts. So...where were they on the DS 2? Is it ever explained, in the book or somewhere?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

So something just popped into my mind, that didn't seem to click well. In ROTJ when Luke is brought to the DS 2 by Vader and he meets the Emperor he says.

"Guards, leave us."- Sidious

The guards leave...and then throughout the fight and up until Sidious was in danger, where are they? As I understand it, the Royal Guards stay within earshot of the guy and they are suppose to stop any assassination attempts. So...where were they on the DS 2? Is it ever explained, in the book or somewhere?

I think telling the Guards to leave him is pretty explicit instructions.

Not that they would have done much good anyway. Vader would have tossed them off of the railing too. Would have been a pointless scene.

Why say that? The imperial guards are well trained. Sides...Luke was wounded, his saber not near him and Vader had lost his saber and was dying...not sure how he would have done anything.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Why say that? The imperial guards are well trained. Sides...Luke was wounded, his saber not near him and Vader had lost his saber and was dying...not sure how he would have done anything.

Maybe Vader would have defeated Palpatine, the Guards went for Vader, and Luke would have Force-pushed them off into the shaft after recovering.

Maybe Vader would have defeated Palpatine, the Guards went for Vader, and Luke would have Force-pushed them off into the shaft after recovering.

That could be possible...but then, that doesn't really make any sense seeing that Luke was still on the floor by the time Vader threw Palpatine over and then went right over to him.

Edit: Of course books do always go into more detail then movies do...so that could be possible.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

That could be possible...but then, that doesn't really make any sense seeing that Luke was still on the floor by the time Vader threw Palpatine over and then went right over to him.

Edit: Of course books do always go into more detail then movies do...so that could be possible.

I meant if the Red Guards were still there. In the movie, I'm guessing they were lying around waiting for instructions. Then were obviously killed in the explosion.

While true, its also their duty to guard the emperor I don't think they would abandon said duty given their organization and philosophy.

Defend against who? Vader? Vader is just about equal in Superiority to the Emperor in their minds(THough he really isn't.)

And in the Sid vs Yoda fight. Sid was in never real danger, Yoda never stood a chance. Sid knew this before they ever met in battle and Yoda realized it during the battle.

But wouldn't Sid already be dead? And isn't the Death Star II falling apart around them?

Defend against who? Vader? Vader is just about equal in Superiority to the Emperor in their minds(THough he really isn't.)

And in the Sid vs Yoda fight. Sid was in never real danger, Yoda never stood a chance. Sid knew this before they ever met in battle and Yoda realized it during the battle.

Yes but if they stand in earshot of the emperor at all times, you'd think the two in ROTJ would hear his screams and coming running to save him.

He screamed for 2 seconds and then Vader dropped him.

Well then also screamed as he was falling, but then it would be too late anyway. Its just something that bothered me, the Red Guards were right in the room and they did nothing! Tbh though I would have liked to see them in action.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well then also screamed as he was falling, but then it would be too late anyway. Its just something that bothered me, the Red Guards were right in the room and they did nothing! Tbh though I would have liked to see them in action.

Now this is something I missed.

I thought they left. Since you see them walk out, in the DS II that little Eye Room was only one room. So maybe they were at the bottom of the elevator?

Now this is something I missed.

I thought they left. Since you see them walk out, in the DS II that little Eye Room was only one room. So maybe they were at the bottom of the elevator?

I always thought they were behind the elevator, at least thats what it looked like because it seemed like to me the elevator was the only way in or out of the room.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well its unlikely that Palpatine only had one way in and out of his personal room on the Death Star, there was likely another way out behind the lift (he did have a hidden passage system built in along side the lifts he added to the impirial palace on corasunt I would think he did the same with the death star), as to why the guards did not come back I would say they had been told in advance that Luke and Vader would end up in a fight and not to interfear and that he had also sealed the room to prevent Luke just running for it.

I always thought they were behind the elevator, at least thats what it looked like because it seemed like to me the elevator was the only way in or out of the room.

The general assumption was there was a 2nd elevator in the back there... presumably for use by the guards when dismissed by the Emperor (which he can do, since he's the Emperor and if he feels he's secure in his throne room with his 2nd in command and whoever the short guy in black was, so be it). It's probably very secure and they're the only ones with access to it, so nobody else can use it.

I say it's the general assumption that there's a 2nd lift there because... that's basically what it was! Enough so that the writer of the Tag & Bink comics put a gag in there about it; Tag & Bink wind up disguised as Royal Guards (in The Return of Tag & Bink, Special Edition), and have no choice but to accompany Palpatine up to his throne room. When Vader & Luke arrived and they were dismissed, well... see for yourself.

So they sit back there, twiddling their thumbs, commenting on what they think is happening but reluctant to go see (since they're not Imperials and don't wanna face Palpie's wrath). So they have no clue when it's over and that they should evacuate--leaving them dead when the DS2 blows up. But it's okay, they appear as Force ghosts later :)

The general assumption was there was a 2nd elevator in the back there... presumably for use by the guards when dismissed by the Emperor (which he can do, since he's the Emperor and if he feels he's secure in his throne room with his 2nd in command and whoever the short guy in black was, so be it). It's probably very secure and they're the only ones with access to it, so nobody else can use it.

I say it's the general assumption that there's a 2nd lift there because... that's basically what it was! Enough so that the writer of the Tag & Bink comics put a gag in there about it; Tag & Bink wind up disguised as Royal Guards (in The Return of Tag & Bink, Special Edition), and have no choice but to accompany Palpatine up to his throne room. When Vader & Luke arrived and they were dismissed, well... see for yourself.

So they sit back there, twiddling their thumbs, commenting on what they think is happening but reluctant to go see (since they're not Imperials and don't wanna face Palpie's wrath). So they have no clue when it's over and that they should evacuate--leaving them dead when the DS2 blows up. But it's okay, they appear as Force ghosts later :)

Lol that made me smile, but I don't know still....I mean yes they follow everyone of the emperor's orders but they still have a job in protecting the emperor. I still say they were behind the elevator.