The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard shield spec....30/11/0

kjfett

30/11/0 <- Torhead's skill calc

I realize things are changing in 1.2, but I've still got to play pre1.2, at least for now. So I'm hoping for thoughts/advice here. I'm currently a lvl45 shield spec'ced Vanguard and I have to say...I am not impressed with the top tier Energy Blast skill. Even off a GCD, I'm just not loving it. I only run out of ammo at the moment if I intentionally try, so that part of the skill is not helping. I do however spend a lot of time in close combat and that Gut skill in tactics looks like a great addition to a build that would proc HIB, work well with Stockstrike and add to my default Ion Cell use with Hammer Shot combined with the other skills I would pickup.

Am I missing something with Energy Blast? Is it or will it be worth it or is a mix like this gimping me in PVP/PVE (I do both as I'm on a PVP/RP server).

Thanks for any feedback!

KJ

30/11/0 <- Torhead's skill calc

I realize things are changing in 1.2, but I've still got to play pre1.2, at least for now. So I'm hoping for thoughts/advice here. I'm currently a lvl45 shield spec'ced Vanguard and I have to say...I am not impressed with the top tier Energy Blast skill. Even off a GCD, I'm just not loving it. I only run out of ammo at the moment if I intentionally try, so that part of the skill is not helping. I do however spend a lot of time in close combat and that Gut skill in tactics looks like a great addition to a build that would proc HIB, work well with Stockstrike and add to my default Ion Cell use with Hammer Shot combined with the other skills I would pickup.

Am I missing something with Energy Blast? Is it or will it be worth it or is a mix like this gimping me in PVP/PVE (I do both as I'm on a PVP/RP server).

Thanks for any feedback!

KJ

All I will say is I use the spec you posted and yes the gut is nice not great for a little extra dps. Your not going to be topping any dps in that spec but with a good healer you can guard like crazy and be a real pain around the node. Drives Marauders up the wall when you dont die in a few hits. You can almost see them screaming at thier PC why wont you die already.:)

I have honestly never had a problem being top 3/4 for damage in WZ's. Not 50 yet, but even at 50 if you read Yojack's thread you see that Vangaurds don't have a problem putting up damage numbers.

My build is very similar to yours. I'll probably end up 30/9/2 or 28/11/2 and nab both frontline offense and the damage reduction (power armor i think)

As for Energy Blast. Overall it looks very underwhelming.

Come to think of it, I don't think I know any other vangaurd who uses it at all..

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Come to think of it, I don't think I know any other vangaurd who uses it at all..

You'd be surprised...

Anyways, from my point of view, I see a few points that I would consider wasted. Does Smoke Grenade even do anything? Because I swear, it does nothing for me.

And if you're going for Gut, why not take 2 points from elsewhere and the get the 8% damage increase to Stock Strike?

Are you asking PVP or PVE?

PvP shielding and defense are pretty messed up right now from what I read and my personal experience. So you might not even want to grab any of those talents at all.

I recently switched to a tank setup for both PVE and PVP, so it still works but hardly shines IMO.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrzRrRgzZrzbZo.1

I will explain a few points some based off the theory behind the Iron Fist build.

I skipped Ceramic plating because I found the absorb lacking a bit in overall play. My def and armor mitigate enough PVE and shielding does little in PVP. Using Ion shield, Power armor, and static field together you can lower incoming damage by 8%, and that is all types. Almost everyone goes with neural overload, but once you get storm and Defensive measures together, I find it's not even needed. It was a chance I took to not spec it, but I do not even come close to missing that talent.

I got smoke gernade because it effects half the classes in the game for PVP and is great in group pulls on PVE.

I picked up Charge! purely for PVP, it helps crossing lines and getting back to an enemy if they knock you back after storm. If that is not for you I recommend Tactical tools and using grapple even more to upset your foes or to seperated a guarded healer from their guarding tank.

Containment tactics I'm still up in the air about. Last night I found that I was shocked to see when I wanted to hit cyro gerenade it was actually off CD. 10 seconds is suprisingly a lot.

Energy blast I find allows me to do way more dmg than I thought it would. I too tried the tank with gut spec, but I found myself out of ammo personally.