The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP 1.2 Rotation without Auto shot?

Assaultrooper

Ok, I have never truly gotten into trying AP for more than 2h given how much lackluster it felt when I initially tried it 2 months ago, but the huge nerf to Pyro is making me reconsider..

What exactly is the rotation for AP... Right now what I do is starting from range, ED -> Immolate -> RB ->RP -> RS, and then spam FB until I can start again. My current spec is

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZMsMrRRfkdsZb.1

Right now if I dont throw in some rapid shots I will overheat terribly, so i have been wondering if anyone knows if the free rocket punch actually helps much? Or should I get Gyroscopic Aligment Jets? I really dont want to use auto shot :p is it possible?

Ok that said how good you think AP will be in 1.2 vs the new super powered juggs and maras... :( should I instead be rerolling?

Ok, I have never truly gotten into trying AP for more than 2h given how much lackluster it felt when I initially tried it 2 months ago, but the huge nerf to Pyro is making me reconsider..

What exactly is the rotation for AP... Right now what I do is starting from range, ED -> Immolate -> RB ->RP -> RS, and then spam FB until I can start again. My current spec is

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZMsMrRRfkdsZb.1

Right now if I dont throw in some rapid shots I will overheat terribly, so i have been wondering if anyone knows if the free rocket punch actually helps much? Or should I get Gyroscopic Aligment Jets? I really dont want to use auto shot :p is it possible?

Ok that said how good you think AP will be in 1.2 vs the new super powered juggs and maras... :( should I instead be rerolling?

I'll just touch the key points:

1) AP as the name implies is about maximum gadget use and versatility. Basically all of your gauntlet attacks need to be maxed out (Flame Barrage should be maxed).

If your build is for PvE, you can drop the 20% damage reduction when stunned and you should max out the 9% Aim talent. For PvP, you can gain some extra survivability (if its suffering) by dropping the two points in the Aim talent for Power Armor (2% mitigation) or Prototype Electro Surge (10 seconds shorter CD for Electro Dart).

2) I'd change the rotation up a bit. The tree thrives on that Flame Thrower so ED is bad because it'll scatter the mobs. Instead you want to open up with RB always - you need the DoT and the chance to proc the auto-crit RS. The Immolate -> RP combo is a very low heat combo that your rotation desperately relies on to help pace its Heat usage; you want to make sure you have about 32% Heat before you use those attacks in succession so you don't "waste" the Heat vent.

If you pace your DPS as such, you should be able to get away with very few Rapid Shots and lots of Flame Burst.

Check this page for an AP priority rotation: http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Powertech-Vanguard-DPS-Compendium

3) PyroTech beats AP right now mainly because of very good strings of PPA procs and the new and improved Superheated Rail which makes your Rail Shot virtually unmitigatable; often you don't even need to use your TD and sometimes even your IM, two abilities you get from this tree! Back in beta the PyroTech was about DoTs and an AOE TD, AP the more burst-oriented single target tree. Because of the change to PPA from proccing off IM ticks to activations of FB/RP, PyroTech DPS went skyrocket high AND became bursty as well.

It's not that AP is bad, it's that PyroTech went from zero to hero in literally two beta builds. AP has been left relatively unchanged since July because it was always good and performing properly, but because positioning is more important for the spec and it doesn't have a crazy powerful low tier talent like PPA (which is justifiably being nerfed in 1.2 which is a good thing, PyroTech will be closer to balanced then, not nerfed and garbage), people ridicule it and flame it (pun intended) at every turn.

I assure you if you spec AP you will reap the rewards of a fun playstyle that is just as viable as PyroTech. Just make sure you don't ignore your primary abilities (especially Flame Thrower), both in PvE and PvP.