What? 1.2 Patch?

ChickenPho

Honestly all I saw in the patch notes for my beloved sniper was Buff buff buff. (I’m a MM/ENG)

They pretty much made changes to all the major concerns I have been going on about. Happy day

I agree, the Sniper changes look quite good to me. Not like the changes to my Bodyguard which all seem to be fairly major nerfs accept adding +1 person hit by aoe heal.

How I see patch 1.2 so far, Bioware vs us :

The things i like :

You guys cry about being sitting ducks in entrench ? OK then get this 60% Aoe dmg reduction via talents ... thumbs up .

You guys cry about not being able to get tanks down ? - This is not what you should be doing, but since tanks laugh at you so hard, here is this Shattered Shot buff that decreases the heals they get from teammates. Thumbs up

You guys cry about ops/scoundrel healer laughing at you while you nuke the **** out of him without being able to get him down ? - Great get this buff on Shattered Shot - Thumbs up

The things i don't understand :

So you said that alacrity is useless for you ?? - Here's a alacrity buff that also gives increased energy regen rate for 10s. - Alacrity will still be useless for you, cause hell Snipe, Expl Probe, FT and Takedown are instant casts , but you might get those talents in for the 10s 50%energy regen rate increase.

Overall we get decent towards strong buffs. Alacrity i can't really get it. 15% for what for 1,5/2,5s Ambush, for 3s SoS or for 2s Orbital Strike ?!? The only skill that can truly benefit from the Alacrity buff is Suppressive Fire which is on a 4s channeling time. But a half decent Sniper has no reasons to use this in PvP considering the DPE which is laughable really ( Fragmentation Grenade is better even )

I'm talking from a full MM spec's perspective that rarely misses on the 300k medal, that happening only when huttball takes less than 10 minutes, voidstar less than 8 , or you are in a over imbalanced game in huttball.

The things i don't understand :

So you said that alacrity is useless for you ?? - Here's a alacrity buff that also gives increased energy regen rate for 10s. - Alacrity will still be useless for you, cause hell Snipe, Expl Probe, FT and Takedown are instant casts , but you might get those talents in for the 10s 50%energy regen rate increase.

I read before that it reduces the GCD as long as it isn't insta-Snipe.

That is true, anything with an activation time of less then 1.5s will lower the global cooldown to meet the activation time.

Also, if you guys are discussing Patch 1.2 and want your feedback to be heard, you should post in the thread on the PTS. I doubt they are using this for feedback anymore as they probably have too much to handle over there. They've also been rather clear that's where they want it.

Well, all in all, as a MM/Eng hybrid sniper, i find the changes pretty nice.

Ranged healing debuff = awesome

More energy regen from talents = might be awesome (even if it's only 10 seconds every 30 seconds), depends on how much we get

aoe mitigation from entrench = eh, nice, most of the damage we take is usually not aoe, but it's still nice, both in pve and pvp

no longer being pushed out of cover due to cover integrity (what the **** is that) = awesome (i think?)

can grouch while rooted? = Oh My *********** God (that i don't believe in) Hell YES

Now that is awesome, and definetly long overdue.

Now, i wish they had looked into the fact that so much of marksman damage is white, and therefore has to go through every form of defense known to man and jawa, but apart from that, the changes were mostly either positive, or not of interest to me.

One change felt kinda odd to me, the engineer talent "Calculated Pursuit", was changed so it would buff make overload shot cost no energy.

who uses overload shot?

To be fair, the only issue I've ever had with going into cover to use Cover Pulse is when I'm rooted. That's fixed. Going into Cover and using Cover Pulse is vastly superior to the animation delay that a Sorc has. I honestly can't compare it to the other knockbacks, however as I haven't had much experience with them. (My only other alt is a Powertech) Cover Pulse is also much stronger then Overload in terms of the angle launched and comes pre-packaged with the root. The root is something only Lightning Sorcs will have after the patch, which to the say the least is not an good spec for PvP.

As to our majority damage type (Ranged) as a Marksman being subject to defense and shield chance, that's a weakness we will have to live with. However I agree that it's too harsh, and should be lessened. I've already suggested that Ambush have an attribute that makes it unable to be dodged or deflected with Marksman investment, due to it's cooldown.

Edited by Ayestes

Anything to address the deflection? or the damage type majority of our shots use? or still having to go into cover to use a damn knockback?

not as far as i can see.

Now, as far as the damage type goes, i'm not sure if it would be smart to change it so would stop being deflected/shielded.

Maybe make accuracy lower the change od being deflected (and maybe make ambush non deflectable, or talet it to make it so), and make make shield work on all types of damage (generally buffing tanks), so snipers would not be unfairly penaliced for attacking enemies with a shield.

And in the same vein, make other forms of defensive cooldowns and powers (like portable cover) work against all types of attacks (with a cone of effectivenes with cover ofcourse).

Maybe make accuracy lower the change od being deflected (and maybe make ambush non deflectable, or talet it to make it so), and make make shield work on all types of damage (generally buffing tanks), so snipers would not be unfairly penaliced for attacking enemies with a shield.

Accuracy does lower the chance of deflection.

Shields should probably work against everything, yes. Although I imagine significant re-balancing would have to be done if this is the case. I don't think this can be accomplished in 1.2 and I'm not sure the devs even want to do that.

Additionally, Evasion is for all intensive purposes fine in my book. I know many people will disagree, but once you understand how the other classes work you know when to pop it to avoid that Assassinate, Ambush, Cull, Rail Shot, Annihilate, or other various Melee and Ranged attacks that classes have. Often very high damage ones.

Edited by Ayestes

I'm sad they fixed Ambushprobe...

I'm excited about the new Sniper Volley though. I didn't get my sniper transferred over, and haven't bothered getting my test sniper to 10 yet. Is it a 1pt talent or a 33%/66%/100% chance talent?

Either way, I don't see the benefit of more than one point as it only procs once every 30 seconds.

One change felt kinda odd to me, the engineer talent "Calculated Pursuit", was changed so it would buff make overload shot cost no energy.

who uses overload shot?

i use it when i am on the run chasing someone who will die in the next shot... :D

i don't have calculated pursuit so the change itself will have no effect on me...

I'm sad they fixed Ambushprobe...

I'm excited about the new Sniper Volley though. I didn't get my sniper transferred over, and haven't bothered getting my test sniper to 10 yet. Is it a 1pt talent or a 33%/66%/100% chance talent?

Either way, I don't see the benefit of more than one point as it only procs once every 30 seconds.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Marksmanship-Sniper-Sharpshooter-Gunslinger-Compendium?pid=17877#pid17877

The reason "sniper volley/target aquired" is bad is because the global cooldown shortens when your "channeling" abilities shorten.

How is that bad? (in its current form)You can pump out your channels at a faster rate, which your energy cannot handle after a few hits. Thus making alacrity counterproductive, and sniper volley a uselss 3 feat points.

I am most interested in this change, as it could mean good things for keeping up pressure on healers with tanks. With sniper volley proc'd for the 50% energy regen, we could pop target aquired and absolutley hammer a target with snipe for a small period of time.

Will be interesting to see.

Edited by Kalliadies

The reason "sniper volley/target aquired" is bad is because the global cooldown shortens when your "channeling" abilities shorten.

How is that bad? (in its current form)You can pump out your channels at a faster rate, which your energy cannot handle after a few hits. Thus making alacrity counterproductive, and sniper volley a uselss 3 feat points.

I am most interested in this change, as it could mean good things for keeping up pressure on healers with tanks. With sniper volley proc'd for the 50% energy regen, we could pop target aquired and absolutley hammer a target with snipe for a small period of time.

Will be interesting to see.

With alacricity, you can do more dps, and keep energy in check by using rifle shot in between.

Main reason the sniper volley is a bad is because you can't keep it up, and need to use snipe to stack it even if you have something better from dps standpoint out of cd, the change stated will both free us from spamming snipe, as well as ease the energy cost issue.

who uses overload shot?

The Snipers that don't sit on their butts waiting for their targets to come to them.

Indeed, Overload Shot is useful if you are at full energy, mobile, and not in melee range.

And Takedown is on cooldown or not available, and DoTs are already applied (or the target will die before their durations are up), and Shatter Shot doesn't need to be reapplied, and Frag Grenade would only hit 1 target, and you don't have time to stop for a split second to get a Snap Shot Snipe in.

In other words, Overload Shot is so extremely rarely useful that it's debatable whether it's worth it to have it on our bars. The damage difference between Overload Shot and Rifle Shot is about 330 damage. 330 damage / 17 energy = 19 DPE, which is a really terrible return on investment.

Of course, the change to Calculated Pursuit in 1.2 will make it free for Engineering snipers and generally allow it to replace Rifle Shot.

Edited by Tibbel

im a lethal/engi hybrid and wreck in PvP. even if my dots are cleanse i still have explosive probe, snipe,ambush and SoS which them alone hit hard.

but come 1.2 i might go markmanship cause im interested in the sniper volley change.

but still ,any other class can do what we do but actually do dmg to tanks. The excuse "our job isnt to kill tanks but to kill healers" is not gunna cut it, which makes me wonder "is it really worth it to have a sniper in your rated warzone group?"

And Takedown is on cooldown or not available, and DoTs are already applied (or the target will die before their durations are up), and Shatter Shot doesn't need to be reapplied, and Frag Grenade would only hit 1 target, and you don't have time to stop for a split second to get a Snap Shot Snipe in.

In other words, Overload Shot is so extremely rarely useful that it's debatable whether it's worth it to have it on our bars. The damage difference between Overload Shot and Rifle Shot is about 330 damage. 330 damage / 17 energy = 19 DPE, which is a really terrible return on investment.

Of course, the change to Calculated Pursuit in 1.2 will make it free for Engineering snipers and generally allow it to replace Rifle Shot.

Indeed you are right. To be completely honest, I have it on a very obscure hotkey (Shift+G) that I never use. The point I was trying to make was it was so very conditional it's rare we would even like to use it, but I did forget many conditions that would prevent it.

Edited by Ayestes

Indeed you are right. To be completely honest, I have it on a very obscure hotkey (Shift+G) that I never use. The point I was trying to make was it was so very conditional it's rare we would even like to use it, but I did forget many conditions that would prevent it.

We're in agreement on that. :)

I believe operatives get more use out of Overload Shot, in general.