Are we most current or "OLD"?

Ravynwynd

As much as I love the "lightsabers"--

My son brought up a valid observation. He said, that from the comics he recalled that the older lightsabers were connected to a cable to a backpack.

He seems to be partially right.

"…these archaic lightsabers were barely portable; their energy requirements necessitated a flexible cable that connected a lightsaber's handle to a power pack worn on a Jedi's belt." Excerpt from Wookieepedia. Lightsaber Wookipeedia

And here is an image: Ancient Lightsaber

So. My question.

Is the game in the newer Star Wars universe? With like Luke Skywalker? Or is it thousands of years earlier?

If it is earlier, wouldn't the lightsabers be mounted to a flexible cable to a belt power source?

Curious old schooler Star Wars fan.

Edited by Ravynwynd

These lightsabers you are talking about were used durning the Great hyperspace war which was about a 1,000 years ago. Soon modern lightsabers were made that we see in the movies so we have had lightsabers for several hundred years that have no cable. So we are not in the era of Luke Skywalker but about 3,000 years before.

My son brought up a valid observation. He said, that from the comics he recalled that the older lightsabers were connected to a cable to a backpack.

"…these archaic lightsabers were barely portable; their energy requirements necessitated a flexible cable that connected a lightsaber's handle to a power pack worn on a Jedi's belt." Excerpt from Wookieepedia. Lightsaber Wookipeedia

So. My question.

Is the game in the newer Star Wars universe? With like Luke Skywalker? Or is it thousands of years earlier?

If it is earlier, wouldn't the lightsabers be mounted to a flexible cables to a belt power source?

The game is set a thousand of years before the rise of darth vader no luke skywalker... check the game overview and setting on this website also if you are curious you can see the timeline videos on the holonet about the game timeline and setting.

What you mention about about the lightsaber with a powerpack and cable is even older then the current timeline of the game. Great hyperspace war era.

Now you can argue that the game doesnt look like old republic at all, well the devs and lucasarts already stated that star wars is more of a fantasy fiction then actualy sci fy.

So in that logic technology doesnt change much unless is part of the plot in itself.

Other thing is swtor doenst look much like Kotor in armors and blades design, cleary Kotor and kotor 2 folowed a more old or at least diferent tech design then the star wars you know.

In swtor they decided to change a bit i recon to call more star wars fans overall, that werent on the same page of Kotor games, and old republic comics and themes.

That said doesnt mean that in the game you cant find stuff that realy relates to old republic era, you surely can find it.

On the lightsaber issue, in the original kotor ( knights of the old republic) even the lightsabers were as it were in the movies so it wouldnt make sense to have lightsabers even more primitive or obsolete then those in kotor, as swtor setting is 300 years after the events of kotor.

But i agree at some extend that they should had changed the eviroment and some of the tech to be able to relate more to a Old republic era to begin with.

The original Kotor were meant to be like that, but thhey change it pretty much for the same reasons.

still you can find alot over the top armors, and gear wich some might look bad and others dont so bad, but cleary are diferent and more Old republic era related then what people are used to by watching the movies and other star wars media.

Edited by Spartanik

The game is set a thousand of years before the rise of darth vader no luke skywalker... check the game overview and setting on this website also if you are curious you can see the timeline videos on the holonet about the game timeline and setting.

No, it's set over 3000 years before the rise of Vader. 1000 years before Vader was the end of the New Sith Wars, when the Republic rebooted with the Ruusan Reformations and Darth Bane enacted the Rule of Two, destroying all the other Sith involved in the war.

I would think it would be kinda neat to use a protosaber though, like as a drop or something.

I agree; Artifice could even make one, based on some schematics or something gained from Archaeology. Bioware would have to do some fancy work to make it look good, though; it wouldn't just be a weapon graphic, they'd need to have a graphic attached to the belt, too, plus cord animation and figuring out how the character would draw it (would it attach to the same hip when 'off'? Or opposite like current sabers?) and it'd likely have to be Main Hand only, so Sents/Marauders can't dual-wield 'em.

But implementation concerns aside, it'd be AWESOME to see. Especially if the blades are distinctly different from regular sabers (maybe more like Pre Vizsla's Darksaber from The Clone Wars, or Thundarr the Barbarian's Sunsword blade; more blade-like, broad & flat, that kinda thing)

I agree; Artifice could even make one, based on some schematics or something gained from Archaeology. Bioware would have to do some fancy work to make it look good, though; it wouldn't just be a weapon graphic, they'd need to have a graphic attached to the belt, too, plus cord animation and figuring out how the character would draw it (would it attach to the same hip when 'off'? Or opposite like current sabers?) and it'd likely have to be Main Hand only, so Sents/Marauders can't dual-wield 'em.

But implementation concerns aside, it'd be AWESOME to see. Especially if the blades are distinctly different from regular sabers (maybe more like Pre Vizsla's Darksaber from The Clone Wars, or Thundarr the Barbarian's Sunsword blade; more blade-like, broad & flat, that kinda thing)

Ya the cord thing would be kinda hard to do....and they could dual wield with it. Mind you not two protos but 1 proto and 1 modern saber could work. But this is more like wishful thinking, seeing as it would be kinda hard to get the cord and such in the right way.

No, it's set over 3000 years before the rise of Vader. 1000 years before Vader was the end of the New Sith Wars, when the Republic rebooted with the Ruusan Reformations and Darth Bane enacted the Rule of Two, destroying all the other Sith involved in the war.
i know that.

I meant thousands of years. not 1000.

Ya the cord thing would be kinda hard to do....and they could dual wield with it. Mind you not two protos but 1 proto and 1 modern saber could work. But this is more like wishful thinking, seeing as it would be kinda hard to get the cord and such in the right way.

I didn't mean that Sent/Mara couldn't use them at all, just that they'd be Main Hand-only.. THAT is why they couldn't dual-wield them.

So. My question.

If it is earlier, wouldn't the lightsabers be mounted to a flexible cable to a belt power source?

This game is thousands of years before Luke but hundreds of years after the phasing out of the protosaber (the lightsaber connected to the power pack). The Sith perfected the power pack-less lightsaber and used it in the Great Hyperspace War, the Jedi adopted it during the war. Thus the non-power pack lightsaber has been in use by this point for quite some time.

god, could you imagine? What could be worse?

My starship's comm system requires a 50,000 light year long cable stretching from my ship to a dsl box on coruscant.

Hologram recordings require a room-filling computer with large, obvious reel-to-reel machines dominating the scene.

My personal droid speaks only pre-recorded sentences on an audio cassette I must swap out for different topics.

Darth Injured breathes heavily just like Vader but must drag a large iron lung behind him on rollers.

The latest starship is the "Decade Falcon."

god, could you imagine? What could be worse?

My starship's comm system requires a 50,000 light year long cable stretching from my ship to a dsl box on coruscant.

Hologram recordings require a room-filling computer with large, obvious reel-to-reel machines dominating the scene.

My personal droid speaks only pre-recorded sentences on an audio cassette I must swap out for different topics.

Darth Injured breathes heavily just like Vader but must drag a large iron lung behind him on rollers.

The latest starship is the "Decade Falcon."

Don't forget that blasters would be so underdeveloped compared to now that they wouldn't hit a single thing...ever.

Oh wait, that's in 3000 years.