Why people hate the trooper?

lironBD

I mostly play on empire side and my main is lvl 50 powertech (bounty hunter, dark side). and it is extremely weird to see all of the bad opinions regarding the trooper.

On the republic side I've only played with the jedi knight for the "kotor 3" story but it's plain boring gameplay .. running and jumping to get into melee range is a pain.

At any rate I've started the trooper yesterday and got to level 14 so far (finished ord mantell, pvp daily, "The Essle" and "Hammer Station" flashpoints.

I've got to say that trooper simply rocks.

plot wise.. the story is a good mix of me2 and "kill bill" wannabe. the companions (so far only got aric jorgan but I've spoiled my game and checked the wiki for the other companions) are totally bad ***. Finally a story which I can choose bad *** and nice friendly dialog options without light\dark side every second.. and dark side trooper (I'm light side) is not a psycho just a cold heart pro.

Gameplay wise I'm a commando.. just at the start so not into any spec yet just boosted my aim X3. I must tell you that I'm kicking ***. on PVE with aric I can solo heroics + 2 no problem at all. on the first flashpoint I've steamrolled ahead of everyone.

And the most hilarious part is pvp... there is nothing more funny than see level 50 sith running towards me while I walk backward so he can;t hit me.. stun him and rip him apart.. every warzone even on my low humble level of 14 I'm on the top 8 damage dealers and I'm on top 10 kills.

Commando or trooper is like a mix between bounty hunter and the Imperial Agent..

Truly fun class.

so any good dps skill spec anyone?

People hate the trooper because they get destroyed by noobs that spam gravity round all the time. All you have to do to counter that is interrupt and stun the commandos, very easy.

In my server people hate me because I beat them constantly and I talk **** to the imps for always picking inquisitors. I have no respect for bubble whoring, lightning spamming, force speeding cowards.

Oh and I'm assault spec, not gravity round spec.

Nice to finally see a good post about commandos and it's really odd that it comes from an imp.

I'm a gunnery commando myself (assault is a total crap imo), amost war hero, top gear possible, I destroy ppl and love watching them whine how I'm "too easy to play". We're not easy. we're fine. I don't want my class to feel like playing a piano.

Edited by VincentWolf

i play trooper dps and its so awesome for pvp, that i havent been in a single raid yet :p

i got 10 medals max so far, which compared to my sage healers 5-6 medals is a lot. I only wish i had some healing moves, but if there is a healer behind me i am unbeatable. Oh yeah, annoying imps with a grapple hook never gets old either.

signed:

proud member of HAVOC

Most who complain about Trooper either:

1. Dont know how to play them.

2. Want Trooper to be a tank/dps/healer, which they are not. Choose a role.

There are some valid(ish) arguments though:

1. Full Auto vs. Unload. Full Auto's animation "appears" to make it slower. Playing a Merc, Vanguard, and Commando, I can see why people think this. The ability however does x damage over 3 seconds. Whether that damage happens in the first 1.5 seconds (Unload) or the last 1.5 seconds (Full Auto) is mostly inconsequential as it is still true to x damage over 3 seconds. I believe the devs said they were looking into this to match the abilities up.

2. Same as #1, is Mortar Volley vs DFA. DFA definitely fires up smoother and quicker, but damage wise I see no difference.

3. Bounty Hunters "feel" more refined, more "Bounty Hunter". Again, I play both sides and I agree. Bounty Hunter feels like the class they designed first, then took that design, changed some names, and called it Trooper.

On the flipside, I like Trooper more for:

1. Shockstrike. Rocket Punch is just stupid imo. Shockstrike gives that subtle attack that packs a punch and doesnt look like Ryu from Street Fighter.

2. Pulse Cannon "appears" to have a wider cone than Flamethrower.

3. While Mortar Volley does seem to take longer than DFA to activate, its radius also appears to be much larger. So imo this nullifies the timing problem. MV might take longer but it hits more targets. DFA is quicker but hits less. Take your pick.

Overall, both classes are great imo. Just different playstyles. Although my Merc has Tracers, I hate this and cannot wait to see the changes the devs have in store to it. People are right, too many 3 button PvP'ers out there. And the game is 3 months old? People jumping ship or jumping down Bioware's back need to remember the game is still new. It will get better, things will be refined. No other game I have played was as smooth as this one at launch. Trooper is a great class (I lean towards Vanguard) that will only get better when the devs refine the little things for us.

As for plots, Trooper is my favorite story followed by Smuggler. In fact, none of the Sith storylines do a thing for me. Granted I've only played BH and IA (will never play a Sith). But the stories seemed boring. So welcome aboard and enjoy the drama of Havoc Squad! There is a bit of it.

I dropped a 50 heal spec Sage for my Commando. The biggest complaint is Grav Round spam, just like Tracer Round spam, and that it takes "no skill". Hmm. It also takes no skill to roll a sorcerer and have 8 of them in a WZ bug-zapping, Force Speeding, bubbling, and healing everything in sight.

Or, if you want to nerf a class, nerf Ops. While I try to Grav Round, I get stunned once, backstabbed for half my life, knocked to the ground, stabbed for another 30% of my health, then shock stunned and finished off in 2 more hits while I do zero friggin' damage to the guy bending me over.

Every class has a balancing factor.

Finally a story which I can choose bad *** and nice friendly dialog options without light\dark side every second.. and dark side trooper (I'm light side) is not a psycho just a cold heart pro.

Very minor spoilers, nothing specific just an overall thought on dark/light choices.

Unfortunately, trooper's light/dark options are sometimes (often?) Dark = sensible decision, Light = stupid decision. I still haven't hit Light V because I just couldn't bring myself to choose such idiotic responses.

Thankfully though, there are still plenty which are both honourable and sensible. It's just that every so often a big decision comes along and you're like "Duh? That's obviously the correct choice, why am I getting dark side points for it?"

The Trooper is what made me want to play this game:) i love my trooper, the story is great, like others have said you get a "BFG" and the companions are all very cool, as for the game play, ill admit it, i use grav round alot, but if you look at the gunnery tree, to give optimum potential for damage for some of your other abilitys, you have to spam grav round, 3 grav round shots and demo round=KABOOM!!!!!! and i agree the spam is no different than a inquisitor melting you with his lightning, did a pvp earlier today and 3 inquisitors destroyed me in less than 3 sec. i was like ***! but ya know what, felt better after i respawned grav rounded one of em 3 times then demo'd him and watched him crumble..again i love my trooper :D

The Trooper is what made me want to play this game:) i love my trooper, the story is great, like others have said you get a "BFG" and the companions are all very cool, as for the game play, ill admit it, i use grav round alot, but if you look at the gunnery tree, to give optimum potential for damage for some of your other abilitys, you have to spam grav round, 3 grav round shots and demo round=KABOOM!!!!!! and i agree the spam is no different than a inquisitor melting you with his lightning, did a pvp earlier today and 3 inquisitors destroyed me in less than 3 sec. i was like ***! but ya know what, felt better after i respawned grav rounded one of em 3 times then demo'd him and watched him crumble..again i love my trooper :D

This is actually the reason I'm waiting for 1.2 to level my shelved Commando, because I found that the tree relies too much on applying one skill for my tastes. From the sounds of things they're going to diversify the Gunnery skills so they're not as centric around Grav Round buildup, which can literally proc three different ability buffs right now.

Edited by dizzyMongoose

I've rolled a few chars and use a 50 scoundrel and 50 vanguard in pvp. I have to admit I love the vanguard. While by no means a top damage dealer I find the tank is difficult to break which makes it valuable for holding positions till I can call (scream like a girl) for assist.

In most 1v1 I'll come out on top due to attrition.

I did find the transition from pve to pvp a little bewildering as I'd melt very quickly. After some research it dawned on me mitigation > shield. Once I'd specced accordingly I instantly saw a huge dif. As my gear's improved along with my technique I find I'm enjoying it more and more.

I've dabbled a few times in dif specs and found the assault tree to be a lot of fun as well. Once I get a full set of BM gear I'll prob play that spec a bit more.

I just started playing the game over the weekend and have to say I really enjoy the Trooper, playing it more than my DS Bounty Hunter--I just hit level 10 last night and am still on Ord Mantell (Savrip Island) chasing the bomb (a little behind I know but I'm having fun wandering around killing Seps and Scavengers dying at regular intervals) and while I did initially choose LS there are times when the DS option makes more sense especially when needing to get intel/info.

It is a good fun class to play although I can definitely see why some people would not enjoy it

just finished corucent (sorry for the typo). After flying in the tin can called mantis (BH) for 50 level suddenly I get the Thunderclap which is basically a flying space military base with everything you would expect from a military ship.. priceless.

And I got to admit that the story and missions of the trooper are much better than most of the other classes.

Why I hate trooper/bounty hunter???

Simple.. they are unbalanced and simple grav round/tracer missile nerf is not enough.

The flaw is in the design.

You have a ranged class that wears heavy armor making it quite survivable and with great dps.

The merc/commando can shoot at distance, spamming grav/tracer, while a lot of the incoming damage is mitigated by the armor. Melee classes have it worse against it, cause after you close the distance, you find out that your attacks do crappy damage against it while it KEEPS spamming grav/tracer at close range.

Don't nerf the tracer missile/grav round.

Make it's armor medium and or make ranged abilities unusable or with some penalty at close range. For example: tracer/grav round has a range of 4 to 30 meters instead of plain 30 meters, so that at less than 4 meters the target is too close and can't be attacked, or accuracy is reduced greatly.

Simple.. they are unbalanced and simple grav round/tracer missile nerf is not enough.

You have a ranged class that wears heavy armor making it quite survivable and with great dps.

The merc/commando can shoot at distance, spamming grav/tracer, while a lot of the incoming damage is mitigated by the armor. Melee classes have it worse against it, cause after you close the distance, you find out that your attacks do crappy damage against it while it KEEPS spamming grav/tracer at close range.

Make it's armor medium and or make ranged abilities unusable or with some penalty at close range. For example: tracer/grav round has a range of 4 to 30 meters instead of plain 30 meters, so that at less than 4 meters the target is too close and can't be attacked, or accuracy is reduced greatly.

Wait...The type of armor actually affects dmg taken to the point where it actually matters? I should tell all the imps who focus me. They're doing way too much dmg to me and my "Heavy armor."

I hope that if they do give Commandos a minumum 4m range on all of their range attacks, like you say, they give them more melee attacks to compensate. Take Stockstrike out of GCD and make it ammo-free and deal Vanguard-like dmg and give us more than just that and Pulse cannon to retaliate with. But then again, melees would prefer to hit those who can't hit back, I suppose.

I stopped at a trooper wearing medium armor. Next thing you know people will advocate Sorcs wearing heavy armor. Heavy armor is not the problem. This is not WoW where ranged classes are in light armor. We are not scouts. We are troopers. Medium armor...

i dropped my 50 JC for my Commando and love it, dont want to go back.

Agree I more or less abandoned my valor 59 Marauder after I rerolled a trooper on AP with a friend. I liked the SW story and love the Mar/Sent mechanics but the Vanguard is awesome and more suited to my play style. Now I just need to grind 20 more levels & 30 valor lvls. And find a PvP guild with nondbags lol. Not sure which will take more time, probably the guild rofl.

If anyone knows of Ajunta Pall guilds looking for people hit me up so I can app.

-Verath

2. Pulse Cannon "appears" to have a wider cone than Flamethrower.

3. While Mortar Volley does seem to take longer than DFA to activate, its radius also appears to be much larger.

2. Pulse cannon does seem to have a wider arc but that could be due to the graphics used. BH has a fire stream wheras trooper has a wedge graphic so it's easier to work groups into your firing arc. I usually guestimate on my BH and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. On my trooper, it works and the visible cone makes it easy to reposition after the first firing tic.

3. It feels like the aoe radius is about the same on both. On both my BH and trooper, mobs just outside the visible ground target will all be hit.

The biggest problem for me on my trooper is that mortar only works vs static ranged mobs. it will typically completely miss melee mobs. On my BH, it doesn't matter, it fires quick enough that I can leap in the air and hit the group of mobs incoming. ou'll never catch them with mortar.

Where this presents itself as a problem most is during encounters when mobs spawn as part of the encounter and you need to pick them up quickly or destroy them quickly due to the power of their combine attacks. Several parts of class quests have senquences like this where you can quickly get overwhelmed if you don't kill the weak adds fast enough (usually accompanied by 1-2 silver/elite).

My trooper completely fails here with mortar and instead, I have to rely on a combination of other tools to do the same thing. pop a couple aoe rounds to pick them up, leap in, aoe taunt, reposition and pulse cannon the frakoutta them. It works but it's quite a bit slower than the BH.

On my BH, right when the sequence starts, I can straight away eliminate the weak mobs leaving me with plenty of health and ammo left to deal with the silver(s) and elite(s).

Edited by ounkeo

I know what you're talking about every boss fight with my bh started with "death from above" , bang, all the weak enemies are dead.. on the other hand as a commando AC I never use mortar.. allways a combination of my other skills.. works faster.

oh.. got to taris and first few missions with dorne as npc (not companion yet)... damn! that's how an npc should be.. securing the scavengers base scene.. priceless..

I dropped a 50 heal spec Sage for my Commando. The biggest complaint is Grav Round spam, just like Tracer Round spam, and that it takes "no skill". Hmm. It also takes no skill to roll a sorcerer and have 8 of them in a WZ bug-zapping, Force Speeding, bubbling, and healing everything in sight.

Or, if you want to nerf a class, nerf Ops. While I try to Grav Round, I get stunned once, backstabbed for half my life, knocked to the ground, stabbed for another 30% of my health, then shock stunned and finished off in 2 more hits while I do zero friggin' damage to the guy bending me over.

Every class has a balancing factor.

You seriously want Ops to be nerfed?

Just because every Gunnery en Healing Commando is a turret, makes them an easy kill for stealth classes.

I play a Gunnery Commando and a Conceal Operative, so i know how to work on both of them if I meet them in a WZ.