The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dusky Sparrow Spec

OldSchoolC

So for the longest time I've been using Carolina Parakeet spec, and I've liked it a lot. I'll probably even use it when ranked PvP begins.

But until then, I wanted to switch things up a bit, without losing the ability to jet charge to people.

I've come up a spec that might make a decent alternative to the Carolina Parakeet spec, and if it stands up over time I intend to dub it "Dusky Sparrow" after the extinct Dusky Seaside Sparrow.

Dusky Seaside Sparrow

Dusky Sparrow Spec

Without Incendiary Missile the spec relies on retractable blade and CC to create the conditions for rail shot. This is the biggest difference.

What do you guys think?

Edited by OldSchoolC

How are you replacing damage from railshot procs in this spec?

Essentially, it isn't. There is more damage from ion cylinder, and a bit more from flame burst but mostly its just an alternative to pyro. I suspect the damage is likely slightly less, hard to know exactly without dps meters.

The issue with being a powetech is finding multiple viable pvp specs that use jet charge. In warzones it is invaluable.

For what it looks like you are trying to do with your spec, I'd suggest trying:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0MMZrsrro0ck.1

It's one of my preferred specs for PvP, and the one I leveled up with - I tend to bounce around between it, Iron Fist, and a 13/28 Pyro DPS spec.

Jet Charge is arguably better for mobility than Hydraulic Overrides only in Huttball, where the vertical movement capability of Jet Charge comes into play.

It doesn't have the occasional crazy burst strings that Pyro generates, but by setting up a Charged Gauntlets proc combined with Explosive Dart on a target with the Retractable bleed rolling, I've been able to set up kills with it fairly well. In addition, it's as survivable as Iron Fist (more so in some situations due again to HO) and has the same level of control mechanisms, which I find sorely lacking in my Pyro spec.

It doesn't have a fancy name, but it's served me well. :)

Like "Carolina Parakeet", I think you spent more time on the stupid name than the logic of the talent points you're using. You should give it a name that describes the playstyle. I suggest "Death by 1000 Cuts" because that's the only way you will kill someone focusing on Retractable Blade and Ion Cylinder for damage.

You say this is for PvP yet you take Rebraced Armor over Steely Resolve and Neural Overload...

You have Iron Fist and Flame Shield but no Flame Surge...

The damage will be nowhere near Pyro or even AP and unless you are wearing PvP tank armor (which means your damage is terrible anyway), most of the survivability talents are wasted.

I agree with Natrix. Also Retractable Blade is not useful as the DoT will no longer interrupt caps and the damage is weak. Move the points out of Retractable Blade and Serrated Blades and put them into better talents. You pretty much have an Iron Fist spec. Edited by Necrozero

props for a really cute name, but this build is awful.

it's like a terrible version of the iron fist build (which is bad as well).

oil slick? lol!

10% retractable blade DOT damage over 30% rocket punch crit multiplier? lol!

no ion screen? lol!

Essentially, it isn't. There is more damage from ion cylinder, and a bit more from flame burst but mostly its just an alternative to pyro. I suspect the damage is likely slightly less, hard to know exactly without dps meters.

slightly less? try 20 times less. this is not an alternative to pyro. this is a joke compared to pyro, parakeet, iron fist (lol) or even a full ST build.

i suggest Wilsu's Giggling Turtle build as an alternative.

The damage will be nowhere near Pyro or even AP and unless you are wearing PvP tank armor (which means your damage is terrible anyway), most of the survivability talents are wasted.

You make a good point, and it highlights something I missed. I do in fact have Supercommando battlemaster gear, which focuses on survivability anyhow

DPS isn't everything in warzones, in fact its only a part. Voidstar and Civil War both need survivable classes to hold objectives, and carrying a huttball isn't for the light armored either :)

Jet Charge is arguably better for mobility than Hydraulic Overrides only in Huttball, where the vertical movement capability of Jet Charge comes into play.

My server is heavy on Imps, and as a result, huttball is about 60% of my PvP matches.

slightly less? try 20 times less.

Is it a requirement that everyone who posts on the forums needs to take a drama class first? 20 times is ridiculous, haha. I appreciate the input but the exaggerations aren't needed!

And what's wrong with oil slick? Slap that down when you're fighting 3+ guys at a turret or voidstar door and it definitely helps out.

And for PvP, is ion screen (2% damage reduction) proven to be more effective overall than 16% more armor? How so?

i suggest Wilsu's Giggling Turtle build as an alternative.

Funny, but I'd like to see what sort of build you would suggest that makes use of jet charge and includes survivability and dps. Basically, put up or shut up; add to the discussion rather than take away from it.

Edited by OldSchoolC

I appreciate the input

Basically, put up or shut up; add to the discussion rather than take away from it.

lol wut

And what's wrong with oil slick? Slap that down when you're fighting 3+ guys at a turret or voidstar door and it definitely helps out.

it's a wasted talent point, better spent anywhere else. 20% less accuracy is not good in pvp. they can (and will) still hit you plenty. every time i see someone throw down oil slick in a warzone i laugh, and then i destroy them.

And for PvP, is ion screen (2% damage reduction) proven to be more effective overall than 16% more armor? How so?

2% overall damage reduction > 16% damage reduction on only 2 types of damage

additionally, many attacks in pvp are internal/elemental damage IE not mitigated by your 16% armor increase.

if you want the specific damage reduction numbers go google it.

Funny, but I'd like to see what sort of build you would suggest that makes use of jet charge and includes survivability and dps.

parakeet or even iron fist, like i said? herp the derp much?

As I said at the top, I just came from parakeet, looking for an alternative to try out for a bit.

As for oil slick issues... if they are throwing it down on a 1v1, then yeah, not so bright. but if its a big cluster**** of people and you throw it down? You've done some serious damage mitigation away from you and your team.

The armor thing... How many types of damage are there that do not take armor rating into into account? I calculated roughly 3.8% mitigation at my armor level with that skill, versus the 2% resist all.... In the end it sounds like a coin flip to me, certainly not a blow out one way or another.

Edited by OldSchoolC

The armor thing... How many types of damage are there that do not take armor rating into into account?

2% overall damage reduction > 16% damage reduction on only 2 types of damage

additionally, many attacks in pvp are internal/elemental damage IE not mitigated by your 16% armor increase.

?????

Just verifying that those are the only two types. Either way I don't think choosing one over the other will make much difference, far less than you would ever notice playing the class if you didn't know which was selected.

Either way after playing this spec for a day in PvP, I withdraw use of the name, haha. You're right, it isn't as good as parakeet, and I don't think there is anyway to utilize AP with shield tech in a way superior or even equal to pyro. If they ever buff AP (or nerf Pyro) I'll revisit the issue.

Edited by OldSchoolC

Just verifying that those are the only two types. Either way I don't think choosing one over the other will make much difference, far less than you would ever notice playing the class if you didn't know which was selected.

Either way after playing this spec for a day in PvP, I withdraw use of the name, haha. You're right, it isn't as good as parakeet, and I don't think there is anyway to utilize AP with shield tech in a way superior or even equal to pyro. If they ever buff AP (or nerf Pyro) I'll revisit the issue.

Respect for trying and failing. But more respect for not being stubborn and delusional about it.