Please no more Warcraft terms.

Anysao

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

Bad slang: :mad:

"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.

"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.

"Mobs"- Where does this come from for NPCs? It's the most random name so far.

"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.

"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?

"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!

Slang I'm fine with::)

"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.

"Tank"- Well, this is in any MMO, so, it's not really a problem.

"DPS"- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.

"HP"- Hitpoints, or health. No problem here.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.:D

Careful, bwana. Some of those ARE standard terms.

A "mob" is a term that dates back to the first MMO's, decades before WoW. Likewise, an "instance" is a common MMO term that describes a section of the game temporarily generated for specific player(s). Ditto "taunts", which predates WoW considerably.

Mind you, I want to smack people calling Mandalorian Raiders a "dungeon" or abilities "spells". Seriously, the clue stick is right here, I may beat them.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.

"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.

"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.

"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?

"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!

"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.:D

the noobish is strong on this one, your first time in a mmo, how cute

Op can mean: Original Poster, Operative, Overpowered, so yeah OP, Ops are OP in ops.

Also, taunts were called... taunts... in WoW. For the Guardian, its even called "Taunt". For the vanguard (Neural Jolt), it says taunts the enemy to attack you...

Mobs are short for mobile, because NPCs are mobile

Pet was a term in WoW for any useless thing that followed you around. You're right, companions are NOT pets in SWTOR. Pets have 1/1 hp and aren't ever attacked, but some do damage.

Yeah the other terms are just WoW terms, which this game takes off a lot from.

These are all MMO terms, not WoW terms. Get used to it because they're not changing.

What, then, do you call the players that take part in operations if not 'raiders?' 'Operators' just doesnt have the same ring to it! And if the operation goes well, do you then call them 'Smooth Operators?'

I like this!

Your whole post is full of terms that have been standard since people played rpgs on a table. You either have never played an mmo or are trolling. I'm voting for trolling.

Your whole post is full of terms that have been standard since people played rpgs on a table. You either have never played an mmo or are trolling. I'm voting for trolling.

I'm voting for "MMO newbie". SWTOR's gotten a lot of those- in part because they've been good about not turning the game into an uberfest...which is nice, honestly.

I think it's only natural. I catch myself often starting to type the word "quest". If you don't have an exposure to a few different MMO's it's hard to know what is standard lingo and what game specific.

Hey, as long as we understand each other all should be good ;)

Agreed. The one I despise most from that list is "Mobs". Whenever I hear someone say that, I think they're talking about a group, but then it turns out that they're talking about one individual NPC.

What?

A mob is a group of people. Dictionary definition. Not that one gundark standing over there in the corner.

See, people don't actually play real games anymore.

The enemies you fight should be called Mooks. Anyone saying otherwise instantly becomes a 15 year old kid in my mind, and needs to get off my lawn.

And I agree, the most annoying ones to me are the ones that truly have no context here, such as "auction" for GTN, and "raid" for "Ops." Otherwise, I'ts all good to me.

Some players (like my self) have played wow for many years and the terms have grown to be part of these players general in-game language. this makes it not all that easy to just cut away these terms over night.

i notice for my self that changing from the term "quests" to "missions" is harder than i would think.

and also i find it hard to change from the term "reputation" to "commendation"

However as many already have stated, most of the terms u use as an example here, i have seen in many other mmo games...

In all of these games i have seen some or all the terms u use as example

Anarchy Online

EVE

Diablo II (online part is not rely mmo game i guess but still seen the terms here)

SWG

WOW

AoC

Warhammer Online

GW

RIFT

LOTRO

SWTOR

so as u can see.... not "wow-terms" at all...

Edited by crazyplaya

Agreed. The one I despise most from that list is "Mobs". Whenever I hear someone say that, I think they're talking about a group, but then it turns out that they're talking about one individual NPC.

What?

A mob is a group of people. Dictionary definition. Not that one gundark standing over there in the corner.

Just so you might not despise it as much - look at it as a technical term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_(video_gaming)

It seems to me that that term is around since 1978.

Edited by iRouven

Popularized by EQ1 but originated in MUDs in the 1990s.

"taunt" has been around just about as long as the concept of a tank holding aggro from their teammates. Not a WoW exclusive term.

"Mobs" stand for MOBile - meaning a mobile entity in the game world. I was first aware of this term in MUDs in the 1990s but it might have been used in earlier video game development. This term was old and ancient before Warcraft 1 was even "thought up".

First met this term in EQ1, Planes of Power expansion. The last boss, Quarm, was in an instanced zone - meaning only specific individuals could enter the area at one time. Not a WoW-term

"Dungeons" in this context has been around since the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game was introduced decades ago. "Dungeon" in this context represents ANY small group content that is not outdoors. It maybe a building, underground bunker, cave or whatever.

Pets have been around since D&D. Druids could summon short duration "pets" which acted as "companions".

I still refer to my companion as a pet at times. Are you going to kill me?

On a slightly unrelated note, I have referred to my wife as my pet too. :D

I think you should make yourself more familiar with wikipedia and the MMORPG genre before going on a tirade like this.

You have to understand that a lot of the people that use those terms are veteran MMO players and its gonna take them time to change habits.

Taunt obviously meant taunting an enemy.

Mobs' from the very early era of MMO's. Meaning Mobile or Monster.

Instance-- The firsts MMO's were open dungeon. Meaning anybody could run in and kill your NPC you fought all the way to get. I believe Warcraft introduced dungeon instancing. Where the dungeon is personalized for you and your group members.

Aggro--Aggressive/Aggressiveness As in The tank has to work hard to hold aggro (monster hate) in a raid. Implying making the mob aggressive towards you.

Tank because usually they wear plate armor.

You are right the terms can confuse a newbie. But only takes a little while to get used to it.

:)

I'm glad there are so many people on here letting the OP know that these are not terms from WOW. They are more common terms to the MMO community and if anything the OP should learn and use them as most people playing are already familiar with them, as for new players, they'll pick them up very quick, or they'll fall behind and stop playing mmo's all together. Please consider what you are griping about based on the game type/population. Not everyone is specific to SWTOR.

What?

A "Mob" is also a term for "Mobile", which has been a standard term since the very first multi-user dungeons. It's been in use since 1978.

I know. A term used in every MMO from the Stone Age when Pong was an arcade game is a horrible thing to be inflicting on players.

One I use and hear often is "pat" as in patrol. Kind of a variation of mob usually used to denote a mob which is incoming or 'patting' your way.

Then there's 'inc"... :p

If the lingo bothers people they just need to get out more. ;)

Unles someone knows how to change a title of a thread to "Please no more Medieval game terms".

And this isnt my FIRST mmo, just my favorite, and im best at.

Why do we say DPS anyways? its not really Damage PER SECOND anymore, its more just like damage (dmg?)

And i just really hate these terms, i mean, this is SWTOR- EMBRACE IT!!!

Oh, and i know the Devs use them to- remember, Bioware and lucasarts hired MMO staff, so they use the terms.

MOBs stands for Mobile OBjects, its a developer's term.

Instances are self contained copies of an enclosed location. Many players may be in various instances of a dungeon at any given time.

All of the terms you describe have become standard terms in MMOs, in fact pre-dating world of warcraft by nearly a decade.

Unles someone knows how to change a title of a thread to "Please no more Medieval game terms".

And this isnt my FIRST mmo, just my favorite, and im best at.

Why do we say DPS anyways? its not really Damage PER SECOND anymore, its more just like damage (dmg?)

And i just really hate these terms, i mean, this is SWTOR- EMBRACE IT!!!

Oh, and i know the Devs use them to- remember, Bioware and lucasarts hired MMO staff, so they use the terms.

Get over it bub. Your complaining isn't going to change squat. :p

you forgot other modus operandi!

"Train" -- a trail of mobs either being accidentally pulled or purposely pulled and are now following a player

"Sap" -- generally a stealth-class's CC. Requires to get a bit up close and personal then beat the target with some instrument to render it incapacitated for a moderately long period of time.

"sheep" -- mages, wizards, warlocks, etc can poly-morph things. A sheep is an example. Also used as slang for "Just CC the goddamn thing already, ITS EATING THE HEALER" or "I want to pull, hurry the hell up and CC it."

"ranged" -- They stand at range. This includes healers.

"melee" -- pronounced "maylay" or "meh-leh" or "MEEEELEEEEEEEEEE". This typically refers to just the DPSrs in melee range in raid instructions. Can also include tanks.

"PST pls" -- or other variations of PST and then an entreaty. This is an easily recognized identifier of someone who says "ATM machine" or "PIN number" in real life.

"LF1M healer" or "LFM healer" -- also healer replaced by "tank". This means WE DON'T WANT YOUR DPS MARAUDER, SORCERER, MERC, POWERTECH, OPERATIVE, OR SNIPER. PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE.

In SWTOR i dont refer to them as pets, but a lot of times i shorten companion to comp when talking in general chat. But i always get someone that says "huh" or "comp"? even though they know the conversation is about companions...

I would get into the habit of expanding that to a little more than comp though. Comp usually stands for "computer" outside of companion, and even then you very well could be talking about a "computer".

"Damn my comp is so slow"

Could mean your companion is slow or your computer is slow.

My comp can't go over that hill

Either your companion's legs are broken or you got some spyware buddy.

Edited by Sivenom