Guardian Slash animation broken/just plain odd

Farstrider

Hi there,

Having recently swapped my vigidefensive hybrid build for a more defensive build, I acquired the ability Guardian Slash, not only is it abit poor for a top-of-tree ability (how about increasing my armour value? Instead of decreasing my target's...) it seems that the animation is poorly designed and currently broken.

The saber starts in the right hand, and as the slash is executed ends up in the left hand before being tossed (or perhaps its the Force) back to the right hand - its a terrible animation when it works, when it does'nt the saber and my Knights arm often seem to seperate...(Skywalker Syndrome?)

I am sure I am not the only one to notice this, anyone else?

One to add to the list; big arsed robes, perma-hood-up, knee-capped defensive tree, reserved.

:)

Hi there,

Having recently swapped my vigidefensive hybrid build for a more defensive build, I acquired the ability Guardian Slash, not only is it abit poor for a top-of-tree ability (how about increasing my armour value? Instead of decreasing my target's...) it seems that the animation is poorly designed and currently broken.

The saber starts in the right hand, and as the slash is executed ends up in the left hand before being tossed (or perhaps its the Force) back to the right hand - its a terrible animation when it works, when it does'nt the saber and my Knights arm often seem to seperate...(Skywalker Syndrome?)

I am sure I am not the only one to notice this, anyone else?

One to add to the list; big arsed robes, perma-hood-up, knee-capped defensive tree, reserved.

:)

I really wouldn't bother too high up in defense. As of now it is a swift kick in the nuts compared to vanguard / shadow tank spec DPS with the mitigation / survivability they have.

I've swapped back into Defence from Vigilance and I'm bored of the "it's bad" comments, in Battlemaster gear I wipe the floor with other Battlemasters, including Vigilance Hybrid Warriors.

Guardian Slash, in DPS gear, will crit for 2.5k when the target is below 5 sunders and then 4k when the target has 5 sunders, Hilt Strike lands for 2k and the follow up Master Strike will hit for 4k crits. That's not anything to be sneezed at, you'll never get constant DPS flow but who cares about scoreboard numbers, your burst is deadly with a 400 damage bonus.

Blade Barrier offers less protection than the two leaps in Vigilance but is on a shorter cooldown and doesn't require burning your two leaps. I'd prefer the leaps but the shorter cooldown is useful and absorbs more than some would give it credit, it would be nice if it scaled better but I have no major issue with it.

It's a gear dependant tree but I'm glad I went back to give it another try, I kinda shocked myself at just how effective it's been at Battlemaster (and again, I feel I need to point out before the flow of "y r u hit level 49s", I'm fighting other Battlemasters here, in warzones defending solo and also in duals. In large groups all three of the healers I commonly group with commented that my survivability is up.

Also to answer your title, yes the animation looks a little strange sometimes.

Edited by CapuchinSeven

I routinely get 9-10 medals a match with a pure def spec guardian. though he's only at 47 atm.

You just have to hope there's a healer that know what he's doing on your side.

and yes, the slash animation is confusing to say the least.

The animation is indeed broken but I noticed the following. The animation plays wrong only when you take damage(which is like all the time :p). If you are not, then it plays fine. By fine I mean that your lightsaber doesnt hover away from your hand every time you use the ability.

At first I thought that this was intended like you use the Force in order to move your saber in this manner(remember Kreia's saber battle in KOTOR 2) but then I realized that this is not the case.

I sent an ingame ticket about this and the response I got was that they will forward it to the dev team for investigation etc.

I hope a fix is on a the way, but I dont believe that this issue is of high priority...

I've swapped back into Defence from Vigilance and I'm bored of the "it's bad" comments, in Battlemaster gear I wipe the floor with other Battlemasters, including Vigilance Hybrid Warriors.

Guardian Slash, in DPS gear, will crit for 2.5k when the target is below 5 sunders and then 4k when the target has 5 sunders, Hilt Strike lands for 2k and the follow up Master Strike will hit for 4k crits. That's not anything to be sneezed at, you'll never get constant DPS flow but who cares about scoreboard numbers, your burst is deadly with a 400 damage bonus.

Blade Barrier offers less protection than the two leaps in Vigilance but is on a shorter cooldown and doesn't require burning your two leaps. I'd prefer the leaps but the shorter cooldown is useful and absorbs more than some would give it credit, it would be nice if it scaled better but I have no major issue with it.

It's a gear dependant tree but I'm glad I went back to give it another try, I kinda shocked myself at just how effective it's been at Battlemaster (and again, I feel I need to point out before the flow of "y r u hit level 49s", I'm fighting other Battlemasters here, in warzones defending solo and also in duals. In large groups all three of the healers I commonly group with commented that my survivability is up.

Also to answer your title, yes the animation looks a little strange sometimes.

With Defense spec you are doing less damage than vigilance, you must be noticing this. Not to mention hitting the top means you lose unremitting, which is arguably a guardians best pvp ability and has secured me countless huttball matches.

Defense gives you more cc, but if you're going up against another battlemaster in heavy armor you are not gonna get higher than 2.5k on Gslash.

DPS != Burst.

Vigilance isn't burst either. Point is it's more DPS and arguably more utility w/ unremitting alone, not to mention guardian leap self buff and commanding awe cooldown.

Hilt strike, one of your main little DPS abilities up there, is also on a 1 minute cooldown.

Any battlemaster can make any spec good, that doesn't mean guardian is not FAR behind kinetic shadows and vanguards. Period.

Vigilance isn't burst either.

That has nothing to do with my point, defence can deal burst and even better can do it without them hitting you back. Vigilance isn't burst at all, dunno why you highlighted that it wasn't but will output more DPS because of shorter cool downs, that has no bearing, but you'll see higher DPS numbers on a scoreboard.

more utility w/ unremitting alone, not to mention guardian leap self buff and commanding awe cooldown.

...er right, and? Sorry I'm not trying to be rude but I'm confused, I'm not having any kind of conversation with you about if Defence or Vigilance Hybrid is the better tree, I play both pick whichever tree you want. I find both valid builds and have grown to find more use in defence than I would have given it credit for in beta and early live.

Any battlemaster can make any spec good, that doesn't mean guardian is not FAR behind kinetic shadows and vanguards. Period.

A battlemaster fighting another battlemaster is going to lose if they can't match up, I'm fully aware of what the people I dual are wearing as well as what Empire battlemaster gear looks like. I'm board of these augments on this forum, I've played Guardian, I've played Shadow, I've played Bounty Hunter, I've played Trooper, people can label it up to "u just play bads" all they want, in no way would I suggest those classes are not powerful and easy to play but I'm done trying to convince people to stop looking at what other classes can do and focus on what the Guardian can do.

Edited by CapuchinSeven

The major problem that I had with Guardian Slash is that the animation takes so long that when I start the animation if I'm fighting a target that is attempting to circle me the animation will begin and by the time it's about to hit the target has already run out of my line of sight and the attack won't go off. It's super annoying. Of course you should always be spamming your free AOE snare but it's still kind of crappy that you can start your "instant" attack and by the time it gets ready to hit the target it doesn't...

I don't have that problem with plasma brand and that problem doesn't exist with Force Exhaustion. Once the attack goes off it just goes off. I don't know why Guardian Slash is different.