Power vs Crit

Emrakkia

So I have the opportunity to change out all my mods. All trait bonuses are equal except the last trait. In the one set of mods (the ones I am currently wearing), it's +8 Crit. In the other set, it's +8 Power.

My crit is currently at 39.6% when buffed. Again, I currently have +8 crit mods, so if swapped out them all, I'd probably take a good 5-10% hit.

My power is currently 147 (+33.8).

I'm a 50 Gunslinger/Operative.

What say you?

Crit is only the chance of a crit hitting. The actual crit rating as far as extra damage or healing depends on surge. So if you are going for crit, you need surge as well or your crits are really a low bonus.

If you don't have any surge stocked, I would definitely go for power.

In any case there is the matter of diminishing returns so once you get a stat like power up to around 300 it gets less efficient to put points into, but perhaps that's not really your issue if you are only dealing with +8 mods.

It would seem the PvP design mentality is:

::

Class capable of taking out target quickly with powerful escape mechanisms?

Power, Primary Cunning // Secondary Cunning

Reasoning: Assuming player can take out target, the quicker the player can take out target and get out the better. Gorilla tactics, hit and run, high risk vs high reward. Require as much damage as fast and consistently as possible to reduce the reliance on luck, allowing the player to 'know' they can drop Target X. Scoundrel

Class with more sustainm typically with support from a healer, claiming strategic points?

Crit, Primary Endurance // Secondary Cunning

Reasoning: Assuming the player is working with the team to secure/control the battlefield, they'll have plenty of targets to fire. The Endurance helps them last when they do inevitability draw fire from the enemy. Extended firing time allows for Crit to pay off. Gunslinger.

Now, people will find better ways of mixing things up - there's no reason folk can't make a 'tough' Scoundrel who, with healer support, causes disruption and ties up key targets close to the main fight, or a Gunslinger built for the most damage possible but who would strain the resources of the healers and would need to focus on not getting hit and so on..

When Dmg Meters come into play we'll have a system to really nail the specifics.

As far as game design theory goes, I'd say the assumptions I've made are sound and I've also seen compelling theories proposed for things to work the other way round, i.e build the Scoundrel/burst class around crits while building the slinger to do increased sustain.

Personally, I prefer my 'burst' classes to have as much raw base damage as possible so I have a more 'solid' base from judging how long/fast I can drop a target. This way, when crits don't occur I'm not so screwed and when they do occur it makes a job I believed to be within my capabilities that much easier.

Edited by Scudmungus

Crit suffers from a soft cap/diminishing returns around 34%, Power doesn't. Crit to 33-35%, surge 75-80% then stack power. Good to go.

I know people have their own preferences, but I really don't agree with that set up at all.

I say go for 30% unbuffed crit max, then get about 70% surge, get hit capped, then go rest in power. I started out with the crit surge stacking and I saw big numbers, but when I didn't crit (which was about 60% of my attacks) they were hitting for small amounts. I switched it up and went with what I described and my actual numbers skyrocketed. Currently I have 2 pc columi, the daily quest armorings and barrel and a mix of correlia mods and a couple GTN bought crafted mods.

Anyway, I used to have about 34% unbuffed crit (39% with self buff), 79% surge, and like 120 power. Now I have 29% crit (34% self buff), 71% surge, and 430 power. My non crits hit for much more and my crits actually deal a bit more than when I stacked surge. My character is much more effective this way.

Edited by genesiser

Crit suffers from a soft cap/diminishing returns around 34%.

Diminishing returns start immediately. There is no soft cap.

Going from 0% to 1% crit takes fewer rating points than going from 1% to 2%.

Check out this graph to see the smooth curves.

Edited by Tibbel

Diminishing returns start immediately. There is no soft cap.

Going from 0% to 1% crit takes fewer rating points than going from 1% to 2%.

Check out this graph to see the smooth curves.

This is technically correct. The term soft cap used by the poster above you is technically incorrect. He has the right idea though. The flattening point of the curve happens around 250-300 crit rating. I also stack both crit and surge to around 250ish rating each, and have 425 power. Damage is fantastic. I wouldn't go any higher on either crit or surge than where I currently am.

Also, curious, you're lvl 50 and looking at mods with +8 crit or power? Seems those should be much bigger numbers? Either way, if you have as much crit as you say, you probably want to swap at least some for power. Power is always a straight base dmg add.