Crafting: Extreme Potential if EA & Bioware want to take advantage of it.

SkodaZek

Let me take you all back to the early days of Star Wars Galaxies. To this day, early SWG has been renowned for its crafting and how dramatic an impact crafting and "brand" had on the game and community.

SWTOR has the same potential. Now let me go into details. In most mmo's nowadays, crafting is nothing more than a mini game that everyone can do and for the most part do so on an equal footing as everyone else.

X Player crafts said item exactly the same as Y player does. This is such a wasted system which does not compliment the crew skill system that exists currently in SWTOR.

What we need is brand recognition, like SWG of the old brand meant everything. Anyone remember Stettin Palver? He was amongst the finest weaponsmiths in SWG, his product was a household brand on his server and that is because the crafting system allowed those who were exceptional and put thier focus on crafting itself to create a product that was unique and of higher quality.

This is ABSOLUTELY essential in SWTOR or at least I beleive so. We have one of the finest MMO's I have ever played here. (and perhaps my opinion is slightly bias because of my passion for Star Wars) and it would be a shame to allow the crafting system in this game to be exactly as it is in any other game.

We need a system that allows for customization and experimentation, a way for those who want to be the best and create the best to be able to do that and be exceptional beyond those who choose not to make the manufacture of product a priority.

Stettin Palver in SWG was one of the premier examples of a player who chose a role and created a corporation unmatched in his field in a virtual world. These things should be possible here too.

I emplore Bioware to please consider implimenting this in some fashion or another, Allow our crafters the opportunity to become a 'Brand', allow them the opportunity to be all they can be and lets establish a real economy on our servers and a competitive market.

The depth that would be introduced by this addition alone could potentially be staggering.

Edited by SkodaZek

Cardinal....Dk..Evolot to name a few, best crafting system ive ever seen.

Resource tree was amazing, production variation, dependent on crafter and there level of skill every weapon was different.

I cant begin to explain the plus points of the crating system in relation to the community as the op explains, Weapon-smiths an armour-smiths an ship-wrights alike were house hold names for the level of quality of there produce was second to none.

People would be speaking about them, anyone you asked about bh weapon for example would be advised "Try get your self a EvO scatter pistol".

You'd save you credits for specific "quad layer composite armour made by apex" or someone.

Generally i find it brings more to the game the fact that one crafter can actually produce better variations of a weapon, armour or any product they craft then another crafter of that variety could, rather the clones if you get where im coming from.

Also you dont have to like a game or think its good to recognise the actual good points it has....

Thumbs up for OP /support

SWG had a unique and very engaging crafting system and i loved it, but that was a sandbox MMO and this is, well... for kids, to put it politely. There's potential for sure, and i hope the crafting system develops into something creative.

Thumbs up for OP /support

SWG had a unique and very engaging crafting system and i loved it, but that was a sandbox MMO and this is, well... for kids, to put it politely. There's potential for sure, and i hope the crafting system develops into something creative.

"Let me take you all back to the early days of Star Wars Galaxies. To this day, early SWG has been renowned for its crafting and how dramatic an impact crafting and "brand" had on the game and community. "

I stopped reading right there.

Star Wars Galaxies Pre-CU was an absolutely incredible game, and most who played during that period (From original release to 6 months when the Combat Upgrade was released, the beginnng of the end) will agree with me.

Don't pass judgement on the innovations of SWG based on experience with CU or even worse, the NGE if that is what you are basing your opinion on.

Furthermore, this isn't about the quality of SWG as a game in it's collective entirety, but moreso about the implimentation of one aspect which was done exceptionally well and should serve as an inspiration to newer mmos.

Regarding the sandbox vs themepark element, there is absolutely no reason fully customizable crafting and a means to market and distribute your wares should be limited to sandbox environments. In fact I can guarentee that it would flourish the the themepark environment of SWTOR.

I used to be like many other sandbox junkies. I would dismiss the Themepark mmo based exclusively on the fact that it was a themepark. My mmo history reflects that. I just came out of a 7 year career in Eve Online to play The Old Republic.

It would help if you actually explained what exactly you mean by the 'swg' system.

Is it like in ragnarok online, that if you craft you gain 'server points' in that craft. Those who have the most points in their craft their crafted items have some bonuses?

On the one hand thats a nice system, but it puts crafters who do not have multiple hours of time to work on their craft every day at a disadvantage.

http://www.swg.mrap.info/star_wars_galaxies_and_the_division_of_labor.pdf

I want anyone who says "I stop reading there" to read that before saying anything about anything. It explains in depth how awesome Star Wars Galaxies was pre-NGE etc. It explains how awesome the community was seriously just to quote "People gave money, houses, free items to Newbies, help and so on." It also explains all the other stuff how everything was based on the players with crafting, it was a real player economy.

Edited by Dralex

bumping this again,

Want this thread to keep building momentum, perhaps Bioware will be able to shed some light on weither this is possible for SWTOR in the future.

Please help keep this thread a priority, it is for the benefit of all. Not just the crafting community, as the implimentation of this will stimulate all spheres of the game in a positive manner.

I feel sad for

A.people who never got to play this great game when it was in its prime (pre-cu)

B. the fact that no other franchise has had the intellect to take a fraction of the complexity the system had that made SWG one the most (imo) in depth "game" ever created.

I look back and remember how much time i spent doing so many different things other than just grinding out levels. Like shopping around and visiting my favorite crafters, or working on my own stuff.

And god forbid anyone recreate the player owned housing aspect of the game.

RIP: SWG

its been that long i cant remember the details, but would like to say that galaxies was awesome, before they decided it wasnt and tried to fix it.

anyone watch stargate atlantis? remember the episode where McKay thought he was right and yet managed to blow up a solar system? that was what the galaxies dev team did.

The current crafting system is the closest any game has gotten to SWG crafting. I do not think we will ever see a complete form of this (excluding Eve in some respect here) in an MMO. If BW added in a way for players to actively focus on just crafting as potential end game content, I do not believe it would hurt anyone, only enhance the experience.

You never know, BW has some lofty ideas in play, we may see something like this in a year to two years.