Coming in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Yes. I understand this. If an adult male African elephant flew a couple of hundred yards but only once every twenty minutes, that would STILL cause me to question reality. (As well as my level of inebriation.)

How about when a droid who never used jet lifters before, even when it would have been helpful, suddenly sprouts them?

Break the paradigm, even once every twenty minutes, and it is a broken paradigm.

Here's the problem -- your paradigm is wrong. The established lore is clear: The force is in every living creature, and everyone can access it to some extent. Most never do; most of those few remaining have so little talent or training that their force powers are nothing more than good hunches and moments of extreme luck. However, it's possible for people to have a high natural talent for the force, and to teach themselves some tricks, or learn them from others, who are not Jedi. That is the established lore. That is the paradigm. You may not want this to be the way the Star Wars universe works, but I didn't want Anakin to be a whiny 8 year old with less acting ability than a brick, either. So it goes.

Now, force-using droids.... that would break the universe pretty badly.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like it either,but i am not runing wild, posting everywhere at forums how bad and terrible idea it is,so the dev's despite from losing their job, must burn into the deepest bowels of hell for 10000 yers of suffering.

and after hell, comes subscription cancelation.

You were responding to my very first post on the SWTOR forums. I haven't run wild (yet). I wish Bioware every success and, indeed, mentioned that I will not be cancelling my subscription over 1.2. I hope to keep it going indefinitely, but if I lose interest I will move on. As will anybody, with any subscription-based game. Just trying to make sure my voice is heard with my initial post.

As an aside, I have enormous respect for developers; I am one myself. Not on anything so glamorous as an MMO, alas. But I can appreciate what they have achieved with SWTOR and am in awe of their work.

How about when a droid who never used jet lifters before, even when it would have been helpful, suddenly sprouts them?

Hardware upgrade. Same with the handy-dandy light saber ejection and trajectory targeting system. And, be honest, didn't that moment really take you out of the movie in a *** moment?

Now, force-using droids.... that would break the universe pretty badly.

Agreed!

It's very depressing that MMORPG players have ideas about class design that were abandoned by real RPGs by the late 1970s.

Even D&D, the bastion of bass-ackwards game design, got on the ball in 2000 with Third Edition and freeform multiclassing. (Hell, for that matter, D&D had multi-class/dual-class characters back in 1978, in FIRST edition. But MMOs? Stuck in 1974.)

I'd say it's character restrictions that are immersion-breaking; why does EVERY Bounty Hunter use blaster pistols? Why can't one use a sniper rifle, and one an electro blade, and one dual-wielded vibro-daggers, for example?

Yeah, I really would like such a free system on some level, but after a few days everyone would be playing some min/max killer build.

And by the way: I don't know how you feel, but most of the new armor designs seen in the video don't give me the right Star Wars feeling (like most of the ones already in the game). I hope there will be more than just one new design per class.

I do not see how add ons will make this game feel like a job.... If anything it will make the game easier as people will actually be able to perfect their rotation and have it become second nature...

Sure bro. And the game needs a 3rd party add-on for you to do that? Maybe just get better at your class instead of blaming it on not having add-ons.

The changes in 1.2 put the final nail in the coffin for my subscription. You guys and gals dropped a bomb on Star Wars lore. With your inability to put appropriate Crystal Color solutions into place.

Remove the LS / DS restrictions but, if only on the RP servers you should add restrictions that adhere to the traditions during this time period (Sith and blaster shooting classes use red only, etc).

Ability to have a Bounty Hunter Force Choke someone is a joke as well. Why didn't you just unlock skills that don't give someone such a large Force advantage like that? Such as Imperial Agent unlocks a Stealth Generator skill. Or Jedi Consular can unlock your ability to rally your allies with a temporary buff.

You decided the ability for a Trooper to Force Lightning was okay because his dad was a Pureblood Sith Inquisitor? Seems pretty far fetched.

I really think your design team needs to do a better job of customer profiling and reviewing analytic data on your community of players.

/disappointed :(

lol @ you

For the sake of arguement for all those whining because "this isn't there" or "what about this"

The patch isn't on the test server and the video is a just a highlight reel more or less. Give them time and quit whining.

very well said.. :sul_cool:

The changes in 1.2 put the final nail in the coffin for my subscription. You guys and gals dropped a bomb on Star Wars lore. With your inability to put appropriate Crystal Color solutions into place.

Remove the LS / DS restrictions but, if only on the RP servers you should add restrictions that adhere to the traditions during this time period (Sith and blaster shooting classes use red only, etc).

Ability to have a Bounty Hunter Force Choke someone is a joke as well. Why didn't you just unlock skills that don't give someone such a large Force advantage like that? Such as Imperial Agent unlocks a Stealth Generator skill. Or Jedi Consular can unlock your ability to rally your allies with a temporary buff.

You decided the ability for a Trooper to Force Lightning was okay because his dad was a Pureblood Sith Inquisitor? Seems pretty far fetched.

I really think your design team needs to do a better job of customer profiling and reviewing analytic data on your community of players.

Really, Have you actually read all the comics based on KotOR, this is what this game is based on. The Force can be in any non-Jedi, or Sith...lets take Luke's sister as an example (and just an example of a person having the Force) she had midi-chlorians just as any other persons may have certain levels of it in their blood. Depending on the level determines whether or whether not you have the potential to become Jedi or Sith. I am a bounter hunter that has midi-chlorians but was never trained until late in life after I choose to become a Hunter.

The game is just a game, and with any game their are persons who take it way to far in expectations. If you want a game true to the lore design it, create it and then you can you have a basis for your argument. /disappointed go play your Pokemon cards!

Bioware have some great ideas but the day a smuggler force chokes me and a bounty hunter uses lighting on me could be the day i cancel. Just because someone is "force sensitive" doesnt mean they should have these abilities. Princess Leia was the daughter of Darth Vader and she never wielded a saber or tossed lighting around. I REALLY REALLY HATE this idea and this could potentially turn star wars into a CLUSTER MUCK.

Bioware have some great ideas but the day a smuggler force chokes me and a bounty hunter uses lighting on me could be the day i cancel.

Well, since they could only "use them on you" in PVP, and these abilities require a companion to be out (and even then can only be used once every 20 minutes), this could only happen in open-world PVP, which is pretty much non-existent even on PVP servers, so, I think your account is safe for now.

Well, honestly, if you actually looked into the ablilties, it's not as if these perks are an all the time thing. There are restrictions on them, and most of them require a certain companion to be out at one time. I can understand why this would upset some hardcore star wars fans, but being one of them, it's pretty easy to explain some of these powers. Force lightning could be a learned ability by a trooper if he has force users in his blood line, that doesn't mean he needs to become a jedi master. Overall, to insult the devs on not consulting their player base, is an insult from you to the players. Look into star wars lore, and you'll find many of these things could be explained. And the color crystal thing? Hell dude, plenty of Jedi used red crystals through the EU, and although adi galia never did use her saber in the movies, hers was red. To be honest, im doubting that you even understand what your getting so bothered by.

For those of you complaining about Leia NEVER having Force Powers, Pick up a book and read it. Leia is currently a Jedi Knight along with many other Jedi. The comics do express that Sith don't have to use just red crystals. They do so because the red crystals they used are found only in their part of the galaxy. Read up people and stop complaining. This isn't WOW and the day it becomes it is the day I quit. AS HAS ALWAYS BEEN SAID "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!!! I HEAR DCU AND STO ARE FREE GO PLAY THOSE AND COMPLAIN!!"

That's cool. Let me know when that game based on actual Star Wars lore and set around the Old Republic era comes out. Because... ya... this isn't it. :cool:

Grand Jedi Master who is a Sith Pureblood, is fully 10000 / 10000 Light Side and wields a red lightsaber crystal (though not affiliated with the Sith)... and occasionally Force Lightning's which is fueled by Dark Side energy.

Hmm... yeah... as I said.

Again, red lightsabers have often been used by Jedi Masters. Luke Skywalker, son of easily one of the most feared Sith Lords to walk the galaxy, was the most benevolent Jedi master of his time. hmmmmmm. I think someone needs to understand the lore he seems to think he knows all about ;)