The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Charge - A staple of the class

Leoness

Tanking mechanic pretty much need you into melee range.

You overlooked the issue with hydraulic override, and now saying AP needs that ability and that he one spec that do need to get into melee range in PvE should lose it?

A root insta close coupled with a 8 sec boss immunity style ability sounds a bit of an issue, wouldn't you agree?

Grapple doesn't root unless you got the Shield spec ability for it, which ensure you can be KB.

While countering kiting is a point, allowing ranged class to have their tools to keep their range is also important.

You could switch Hydraulic Override and jet charge I suppose. But I fear it would then make the Shield spec a bit too sturdy.

I never said AP needed both HO and Jet Charge. Nor did I say ST is not a melee class.

I'd prefer if the ability was baseline so the two melee-focused specs of the AC could have the gap closer they both desperately need.

However, if BioWare truly feels only one of the trees deserves Jet Charge, then they should have given it to AP; of the three trees it is the most melee-heavy. ST can still cause solid damage and threat with Rapid Shots/Unload (IGC DoT + slow) and Explosive Dart (AOE threat) and can mitigate enough damage as they run to their targets, but AP is not able to handle that incoming damage nor does it benefit from using those abilities (solo PvE stun from ED into a Shoulder Slam if you can get to melee range in time is good I guess).

If only one tree (AP) is permitted to have Jet Charge, then it would require some changes in the skill tree designs. This change would require HO be redone/removed to prevent abuse (though Knights/Warriors have talents that emulate the ability on top of their charge attacks and Push resetting Charge CD) and Shieldtech should be tweaked to be more ranged-centric (it is supposed to be the "ranged tank" after all), using Unload, Flame Burst, and Flame Thrower in place of Rocket Punch.

If we can get a baseline Jet Charge and some skill tree tweaks to prevent unkiteability as an AP spec, then that's even better. But as much as I love Hydraulic Overrides, I'd prefer to be able to cast my first Immolate or Rocket Punch on my enemy when I'm at 90% HP after blowing my gap closer, not at 40% HP after blowing my gap maintainer.

Edited by Mapex

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure where you drew any of that from what I said. I stated that stealth could be considered a gap closer because it's used to close the initial gap, whereas other classes have to burn their gap closer or walk up to an enemy. I don't think there was any straying of my argument. You were simply talking about a mechanic to get back onto an enemy after an engagement has begun, and I was talking about a broader sense, and if you were talking specifically about getting back onto an enemy, then forgive me for taking what was said out of context.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I do think that PT has enough ranged abilities to fill the gaps when they have to get back into the 10m range (even if I don't consider it a ranged class), that Jet Charge isn't really a necessary tool for all specs.

We already have an interrupt, and Grapple is much more than a simple gap closer, as it's the only tool we have that can disrupt enemy positioning, which helps immensely for weakening a group. I'd hate to trade it for something that puts me more directly into harms way (as a dps), rather than putting an enemy right in the middle of my group's melees.

I will say that it's nice for Huttball, though. : P

Ahah the ignore part is directed to Hulk and his operative arguments.

I very much agree with that last post of yours.

I never said AP needed both HO and Jet Charge. Nor did I say ST is not a melee class.

I'd prefer if the ability was baseline so the two melee-focused specs of the AC could have the gap closer they both desperately need.

However, if BioWare truly feels only one of the trees deserves Jet Charge, then they should have given it to AP; of the three trees it is the most melee-heavy. ST can still do solid damage and tanking with Unload (IGC DoT + slow) and Explosive Dart (AOE threat) and can mitigate enough damage as they run to their targets, but AP is not able to handle that incoming damage nor does it benefit from using those abilities (solo PvE stun from ED into a Shoulder Slam if you can get to melee range in time is good I guess).

If only one tree is permitted to have Jet Charge, then AP should get the ability. This would then require HO be redone/removed to prevent abuse (though Knights/Warriors have talents that emulate the ability on top of their charge attacks and Push resetting Charge CD) and Shieldtech should be tweaked to be more ranged-centric (it is supposed to be the "ranged tank" after all), using Unload, Flame Burst, and Flame Thrower as much as it currently uses Rocket Punch.

If we can get a baseline Jet Charge and some skill tree tweaks to prevent unkiteability as an AP spec, then that's even better. But as much as I love Hydraulic Overrides, I'd prefer to be able to cast my first Immolate or Rocket Punch on my enemy when I'm at 90% HP after blowing my gap closer, not at 40% HP after blowing my gap maintainer.

Warrior are always vulnerable to KB. About shield being a ranged tank spec, ranged or not threat works better in melee range as far as pulling from a tank goes. Someone made test and if I remember well, a tank in melee range will hold the threat till someone manages 130% of his, versus 110% when in ranged position.

Regardless of attack used. Also damage mitigation being area attacks, you need to be in the middle of a group as much as you can. Cone AoE like flamethrower also works best to build threat on multiple targets in such a position.

Also, a kiting tank in PvP would probably be disastrous. At least, currently they have a small leash.

AP still have the energy shield and HO to couple with the ranged ability to get to a target. If you get to a sorc KB immuned, you normally should make very short work of his light armor.

You also have kolto overload availaible for use in that gap.

All of those are tools warrior lacks, not talking about ranged abilities.

Edited by verfallen

However, if BioWare truly feels only one of the trees deserves Jet Charge, then they should have given it to AP; of the three trees it is the most melee-heavy. ST can still cause solid damage and threat with Rapid Shots/Unload (IGC DoT + slow) and Explosive Dart (AOE threat) and can mitigate enough damage as they run to their targets, but AP is not able to handle that incoming damage nor does it benefit from using those abilities (solo PvE stun from ED into a Shoulder Slam if you can get to melee range in time is good I guess).

If only one tree (AP) is permitted to have Jet Charge, then it would require some changes in the skill tree designs. This change would require HO be redone/removed to prevent abuse (though Knights/Warriors have talents that emulate the ability on top of their charge attacks and Push resetting Charge CD) and Shieldtech should be tweaked to be more ranged-centric (it is supposed to be the "ranged tank" after all), using Unload, Flame Burst, and Flame Thrower in place of Rocket Punch.

I think you are one of the very rare few that plays the AP spec and just need something more. Honestly many of the players who rolled a Powertech wanted to play AP, then it was quickly realized that it is black sheep among the 3 trees.

Even if they give AP jet charge, maybe you specifically will be happy, but even then, the vast majority will not touch that tree beyond the 2nd tier. Giving the AP jet charge or any other gap closer will not get you kills. In fact it might get you killed faster lol.

The ENTIRE AP tree needs to be revamped. AP is supposed to be the PvP build. But its survivability doesnt outweigh the dps or burst power the pyro tree gives.

Edited by Agooz

No... NO NO NO NO NO as an AP I do NOT WANT TO TRADE Hydraulic Overrides for Jet Charge. HO is what allows us to stay in melee range, even if it's "hard" to get into melee range in the first place (it's not.)

Also, what are you doing that makes it so you're getting wiped as an AP, charging into a crowd? No. You're doing it wrong if you're having trouble keeping your health up in a fight. You're supposed to find 1 on 1 targets, and if you cannot do that then keep back 'till someone is vulnerable. If it's a brawl you can stay in the midst of the fight, carbonize + ED + Sweep (sparingly) for close area dmg, and pick the one target you wanna beat on top of that... if things get too hot, HO and get the hell outta there.

Jet Charge (speaking as a former fulltime shieldtech) is derpy in the way that one swift, well-placed knockback nullifies pressing the damn button, and then you have to wait 13-15 seconds for it to come up again! HO lets me keep beating on sorcs/mercs because half the time they dont realize I have HO on, or I'm hitting it after chain-stunning/grappling in order to have a solid 10seconds facespanking time.

No. Just no, I'm sorry. As an AP, this is the worst thing you can possibly do to the class.

I think a lot of people want it for all PTs or lower simply because it's a "cool" ability to have. The other trees function fine without it when fulfilling their purposes. It makes sense for a tank to have a gap closer, paired grapple, to control where he/she is and what's happening with the mobs. It's fine where it is.

I think a lot of people want it for all PTs or lower simply because it's a "cool" ability to have. The other trees function fine without it when fulfilling their purposes. It makes sense for a tank to have a gap closer, paired grapple, to control where he/she is and what's happening with the mobs. It's fine where it is.

Eh can't blame then :p since I got a PT tank, I want a jetpack on my Mara :p

It's not just "cool" it's one of the most useful skills you can take. It's a game changer in huttball especially.

Having the charge ability as a basis upon which the class is built would make it far more fun to play and could be implemented fairly easily.

Personally I just don't see the need to make this talent tank/hybrid only.

It's like putting stealth half way up one of the assassin's trees.

Jet Charge should, in my humble opinion, be a staple of the Powertech class and not a talent choice on the tanking tree.

Please state your opinions regarding this, and if it would be viable in terms of balance or what would need reworking in order to make it so.

I already know for certain it would make playing the class a whole lot more enjoyable.

Kind Regards

4/6/31 Powertech

ya, that's one of lies BW told to players,

and they dont allow the chosen wrong class AC player which is be lied

to change their AC......

ya, that's one of lies BW told to players,

and they dont allow the chosen wrong class AC player which is be lied

to change their AC......

Listen my friend, in general there are 4 specs a PT is viable for (give or take a few variations)

1) full St

2) hybrid St/pyro

3) hybrid ST/AP

4)Pyro

3 out of 4 get jet charge. The 4th just steamrolls over everything. What are you complaining about? 3 out of 4 sounds very close to a "staple" of the class.

ED(TD) > EM > RS > Unload. After that you're just using rapid shots until cds finish,

After that you should be in melee/close range. Also, don't forget DFA, taunts, stun, the pyro missile, and of course grapple.

Jet Charge is fun and useful; I'm specced for it right now, but pyro is a great spec in need of very little . AP is pretty much universally ignored and it has a run speed increase to help get in melee if you aren't ignoring it.

I think it should just be a bounty hunter move. Where in star wars movies or literature did it say Boba or Jango fett were powertechs of the shield tech or pyro tech trees? ****, it should be a move we get on hutta FFS. We have armor that cleary has a jet pack on it that early, so why not get the ability. If you want some differentiation, make ptechs charge and let mercs just fly up in the air(for longer than the 2 sec DOA flight). Edited by DIMadman

I think it should just be a bounty hunter move. Where in star wars movies or literature did it say Boba or Jango fett were powertechs of the shield tech or pyro tech trees? ****, it should be a move we get on hutta FFS. We have armor that cleary has a jet pack on it that early, so why not get the ability. If you want some differentiation, make ptechs charge and let mercs just fly up in the air(for longer than the 2 sec DOA flight).
So how would commandos fly up in the air? Apparently imps don't even acknowledge the fact that they have mirror classes.

5k railshots are a game changer in huttball too it depends on your play style

stop being a *******. You rarely get the 5k crits and when you do you brag about it like its an everday thing. Also you do relize in wz's all the stats are boosted including mas amount of critical..In world pvp you wont be seeing much of your 5k crit hits outside of the wz buff kid.

Edited by HumanSheild