After assassin, play a marauder or jug?

SusAntigoon

Hello there!

I have done some reading through the forum for a couple of weeks now. I have a level 48 assassin and soon will reach level 50. I have a madness assassin and i could say that both pve and pvp are fun and not to hard to manage. I'm not saying i'm the king of pvp, no just an average pvp player having fun with the game. :D

I've decided to play a sith warrior after the assassin. Already got it to level 10.

Still i have some questions about going for a juggernaut or a marauder (yes i know, there is already much written about it! :eek:).

If i should believe the majority of the people on the forum the marauder does more DPS then the juggernaut. For getting the maximum out of the marauder you have to manage a good timing and much keybinds. The juggernaut is a little bit more "relax" to play and does good DPS also aswell being tank or DPS specd. If i play the marauder obvious i go for DPS, if i choose the juggernaut i go for a tank (for the pve part) till hitting 50 and afterwards go for a DPS juggernaut for playing pvp.

a marauder pvp guide says: "Annihilation: Assuming you Force Charge in, you need to first decide if you need to apply your slow or healing debuff, typically I always apply my slow even if there are team mates attacking, as it really blows if they slow you and simply walk away. So, Force Charge(4)->Deadly Saber(in air)(1)->Battering Assault(7)-> Crippling Slash(5)->Rupture(3)(pop Berserk now if you have it)->Assault(5)->Annihilate(1). As you can see, that kinda takes a while, if you remove Crippling slash you can finish that much quicker as you don’t need to Assault either,... etc etc.

So i still have some questions:

1. Is the DPS in pvp combat of a marauder significant bigger then a dps jug? Because if you prefer to go maniac style for like 5 % extra DPS then for a player like me it is just not worth it.

2. Is the marauder so hard to play? (my assassin has like hitting 6 or 7 keysbinds after going melee)

Thank you for reading this, i'm looking forward to the responses!

And most of all: have fun with SWTOR!

Greetz

Sus

Edited by SusAntigoon

Intresting questions. I have played a marauder up to lvl 27 and enjoyed it. They do good damage, but there is a lot of button mashing. I went with the annihilation spec as the DOT damage really adds up and i like to do dps. However I liked the look of a single saber. Also, i get the feeling a Jugg will still do good damage, with hopefully less button mashing.

You played an assassin which means you are either experienced with tanking, dps or both. What made you want to switch?

I would play Marauder if:

1) you want to do lots of dps

2) You don't mind only ever being dps for groups or flash points.

3) You don't mind complicated rotations and button mashing.

I would play a Jugg if:

1) You want the flexibility to tank or dps

2) You want a simpler play style.

3) you just like the look :)

Honestly though, I'm having a blast on both. Don't think you will be disappointed either way. I'm sure some lvl 50 elitist jerk number crunchers will have a different viewpoint, but that's my 2 cents. Enjoy!

You played an assassin which means you are either experienced with tanking, dps or both. What made you want to switch?

Well i've some dps experience, most of the time putting DOT'S where ever i can :cool:

I like it, but i think that playing a warrior is something different, at least, i assume that it is different! :)

Of course till level 50 the storyline is an imported aspect of the game. But after that you focus on pvp. And then i want to swich from now and then to an other toon. (i have a commando also)

Thanks, and have a nice swtor time!

Sus

I'm trying both right now, myself, and I'm finding the playstyle difference kind of interesting. Assassin (so far) is very positional, surgical sort of style (at least for me, get in and take out the hard target first with a pole-saber to the kidneys). Warrior is a very up front, scream and leap sort of style ... I'm doing Carnage spec Marauder right now so it's mow down the adders and then take on the hard target.

I ended up with both a Jug and a Marauder. They are both fun in PVP. For me, the Jug is more of an AoE threat, or a stunner. More of a harasser of everyone near him, but not really finishing them off (well eventually maybe).

The Marauder, to me, is a single target slayer. That one target is going to die. Then the next, and on and on, quickly. The ONLY problem my Marauder runs into is breaking CC. Even then though, it only delays the killing.

<insert evil laugh here>

2) You want a simpler play style.

Simpler is not what I would call it. As Vengeance or Immortal you play just about as much piano-from-hell as a Marauder. In addition, like in most MMO's tanking in SWTOR is far more challenging than just doing dps.

I guess if i want pure DPS, i should role a marauder! The only thing i'm curious about is how big is the difference in DPS between a marauder and a dps jugg?

It think it's quite normal that a marauder does more dps, they are made for it :d_angelic:

And how difficult is playing a marauder? Is it really that challenging as compared to a jugg?

Greetz and thanks

Sus

Ok, i've reached level 50 on the assassin. Will have some pvp work to be done! :cool:

At this moment i think i go for a marauder. If i want to tank, i still can respec my assassin so...

Still have some questions thou... I've read a lot about the rage tree. What's up with that?

The most marauder say that the annihilation tree is the best. I don't have any experience with a warrior. Is the annihilation tree way better then the rage? If not, why not go for a rage juggernaut instead? :)

Greetz

Sus

Ok, i've reached level 50 on the assassin. Will have some pvp work to be done! :cool:

At this moment i think i go for a marauder. If i want to tank, i still can respec my assassin so...

Still have some questions thou... I've read a lot about the rage tree. What's up with that?

The most marauder say that the annihilation tree is the best. I don't have any experience with a warrior. Is the annihilation tree way better then the rage? If not, why not go for a rage juggernaut instead? :)

Greetz

Sus

Annihilation has more survivability due to the self heals from your DoT's and deadly saber being in that tree, once you get into the 40's Zen (or whatever the marauder equivilent is) which makes your DoT's auto crit and heal your whole party will be up most of the time. The Rage tree is still good but will be more worthwhile playing once 1.2 hits as they are putting the juggernaut feat that gives 30% extra damage and lowers the cooldown of smash into tier 1 of the rage tree for both Juggs and Maras, plus some other changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.