The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please Guard your DPS Vanguard

For any class tank out there DPS VGs and PTs can get some serious aggro from dmg but we have no wipe. Commandos and Mercs and lower their threat every 45 seconds. Most likely your VG and PT will be right beside you anyway as we are have melee or 10m dmg. Everyone will come out winning if you guard your VG/PT over your Comm/Merc.

Just a suggestion / plea.

It all depends, I still keep the aggro and deal the damage.

I'm in a Tank/DPS Hybrid spec, during HM Flashpoints & Ops my role is ever changing. Depending on the fight/boss I change my armor set for DPS or Tank. I usually keep guard up on my medics.

If you have plasma cell spec Vanguard, then yes, they could use a guard :) Ion Cell Hybrid specs typically have fairly good survivability.

It all depends, I still keep the aggro and deal the damage.

I'm in a Tank/DPS Hybrid spec, during HM Flashpoints & Ops my role is ever changing. Depending on the fight/boss I change my armor set for DPS or Tank. I usually keep guard up on my medics.

If you have plasma cell spec Vanguard, then yes, they could use a guard :) Ion Cell Hybrid specs typically have fairly good survivability.

One would assume that if you are using Ion Cell and doing more damage than the tanky-tank you end up doing more "tanking" than the tanky-tank too, or is my understanding of Ion Cell technology that far off base?

...or is my understanding of Ion Cell technology that far off base?

No, you're correct. Krone was just a making an obvious and completely irrelevent point. The OP was complaining that DPS Commandos get prioritized in terms of Guard over DPS Vanguards even though DPS Vanguards can generally lay down much more sustained damage over time.

Plus Vanguards are usually forced into melee range unless you're Assault spec and even then you're still pretty much melee.

even though DPS Vanguards can generally lay down much more sustained damage over time.

Hey thats good news for me if that is true. I chose vanguard over commando but still wanted a dps rather than tank. With all the tank aggro spells I was getting I was begining to get worried about my ability to be a team ranged dps.

Hey thats good news for me if that is true. I chose vanguard over commando but still wanted a dps rather than tank. With all the tank aggro spells I was getting I was begining to get worried about my ability to be a team ranged dps.

You are never going to be Ranged DPS, you are going to do very respectable melee DPS.

You'll be a respectable ranged tank as Assault and deliver some pain in the process, but you really want to be at 4m or less and hammering away with Stockstrike for full-on DPS mode.

You can manage a slower less effective rotation at 10m with Ion Pulse/Pulse Cannon, but you're getting fewer Ionic Accelerator procs (seriously, all it'd take to really give us a decent 10m cycle is swapping the odds on IP vs SS for Accelerator).

But as most Vanguards know, you're not Guarding anyone without Ion Cell up. If you're DPSing as Assault, it's Plasma Cell time for optimal damage (and less threat generation).

No, you're correct. Krone was just a making an obvious and completely irrelevent point. The OP was complaining that DPS Commandos get prioritized in terms of Guard over DPS Vanguards even though DPS Vanguards can generally lay down much more sustained damage over time.

Plus Vanguards are usually forced into melee range unless you're Assault spec and even then you're still pretty much melee.

yes. This is what I am saying. I could see it be fight dependant as well, based off who has to move out of boss or stop dpsing, etc. But it should not be just cast and forgotten.