Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why NO CROSS GUARDING?

Mrcheezle

Err... The reason why this isn't allowed is so obvious I can't actually put it in words.

But I'll try

a) Balance reasons

b) So you put your guard on the healer were it belongs already. Seriously getting tired of how little PUGS do to protect my operative healer.

c) It would end up triggering an infinite loop

Title says it all. Why can't two tanks cross guard one another in SWTOR?

because we had it in WAR and cross guarding tanks were unkillable. we already have issues taking down guarded targets, but if the guy guarding the squishy is also guarded how are we supposed to kill anything?

Tank 1 takes 100 damage

50 damage is transfered to tank 2

25 damage is transfered back to tank 1

12.5 damage is transfered back to tank 2

6.25 damage is transfered back to tank 1

3.125 damage is transfered back to tank 2............

Game Engine Crashes...........

Let's say you take 50% damage and 50% is sent to the other tank. Then 50% of that is sent back to you (25% of total) of which you take 50% (12.5%, or 1/8). The cycle repeats, and you can then say that you take:

1/2 + (1/4)*(1/2) + (1/4)*(1/4)*(1/2) + ...

This is equivalent to an infinite sum of (1/4)^n (n = 0, 1, 2, ...) times an overall 1/2. The infinite sum is equal to 1/(1-1/4) = 4/3. Times 1/2 is 2/3.

Let's say you take 50% damage and 50% is sent to the other tank. Then 50% of that is sent back to you (25% of total) of which you take 50% (12.5%, or 1/8). The cycle repeats, and you can then say that you take:

1/2 + (1/4)*(1/2) + (1/4)*(1/4)*(1/2) + ...

This is equivalent to an infinite sum of (1/4)^n (n = 0, 1, 2, ...) times an overall 1/2. The infinite sum is equal to 1/(1-1/4) = 4/3. Times 1/2 is 2/3.

I suggest they implement it so the tanks get crashed out.

Well it wouldn't be that hard to code it so that damage transferred wouldn't transfer again. Only incoming damage from enemies would transfer to the other tank, and there it would stop.

Can't be any harder than having the damage I deal myself from Noble Sacrifice not transfer, or not be taken off my bubble.

But I'm sure it's just a balance thing. Two 20k HP tanks shielding eachother means a 40k shared HP pool. Once you deal a combined total of 40k damage to either of them, they both die.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.