Purple schematics while levelling

Rhunzzz

Hi all, I have done a number of custom searches but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

My question is - Given the sheer amount of time and money needed to RE blue items to get purple schematics, not to mention sending companions on missions to get purple item materials, is it even worthwhile to bother with purple crafted items before reaching the maximum skill level?

I ask this because I spent a lot of money REing prototype medpacks to get the reusable medpack, then spent even more money and time grinding diplomacy to get the Alien Blood to drop, but in the end, the next level green schematic was superior to the purple reusable medpack.

Thanks!

The medpacks don't get more and more powerful with the colors.

It's different from gear where the stats change.

They just have different properties.

(ie stims last through death for blue and everything is reusable at purple)

Personally i find it worth it every time to get the purple medpack and stim. those two i worry about first since i use them every life almost.

Then the implants and adrenals you can just get when you have extra time between stopping by the crafting trainer and probably only need every other version of. (at least till 50)

I didn't bother with it on my first character, but my second two I've been leveling together, alternating between them, and one is an Artificer and the other a Cybertech, and they each give each other the stuff they make. While I'm adventuring with one, the other is craft-muling.

The real problem is that the game is a bit broken when it comes to leveling a crafting skill. Basically, they don't give you the ingredients you need to do it right. If you're at, say, level 25, then the area you're in will have, at best, level 25 materials, and most of the materials you find will be level 20 materials, which are completely worthless to you.

What they need to do is drop everything down a tier, so that instead, at level 25 you're finding level 30 materials, because what you want to do at level 25 is be grinding away at level 30 gear, so that by the time you hit level 30 you'll have the purple schematics ready. If you're grinding away at level 25 gear at level 25 then by the time you get the purple recipe you'll be level 27-28 already.

The only reason my Cybertech is able to keep ahead of the curve is because my higher level character was feeding him all sorts of leftover metals, and also from buying from the GTN (Desh is practically worthless). My artificer doesn't have anyone to send her materials, so she's way behind the curve, and has to spend half her companion's time running archeology missions (which, btw, archeology is WAY harder to do than Scavenging, since there are no droids to harvest, and the nodes themselves seem much more rare in the open world.

My question is - Given the sheer amount of time and money needed to RE blue items to get purple schematics, not to mention sending companions on missions to get purple item materials, is it even worthwhile to bother with purple crafted items before reaching the maximum skill level?

Pretty much, no. Though if you have extra mats, it can be fun to try. For most tradeskills, personally, I'm content with blues until 49/50. For biochem, I'm fine with the greens.

The exception to this would be if you PvP a bunch. Then the frequency of use would probably be sufficient that you'd want the purple versions.

Edited by Battilea

Am asking myself the same question actually.

Am level 29, Synthweaving 272, archeology 268, Underworld trading 256 wich tells you I craft and RE A LOT ! . I wanted to do that for a couple of reasons :

- play without playing . I mean you have a bit of time to craft from time to time

- get good gears

- Make money

So yes, it works, but YES it is painful, costly and is it worth to RE blue to get Purple ? I am not very sure. I just posted the same question actually because some people sell on GTN very cheap purple items, way below the cost of production.

It gets you great item when looking at the stats actually. For example, I can produce Exactitute Rigid Flex Headgear (superior) with following stats :

- 504 armor

- Rating 84

- +23 Strength

- +34 Endurance

- +22 Accuracy rating

- +15 critical rating

- + 22 Defense rating

Not bad for an item Level 29 only ! So Yes, I RE for me, and used it for me, as it is way better than any orange item I found because it is very difficult to find mobs that keeps levelling with you.

However, when it comes to sell it, question is how much is this thing worth and how much it cost you to produce. I would be for an "offense" to sell it lower than let's say 15k. But at that price, at level 29, am not sure people will purchase it , so YES, it is a big dilemna for me.

I would like actually to open a pre order store. Am thinking seriously about it . Players seing the stats they need could pay ahead, place order and get it delivered...that would prevent spending time to produce such nice items and leave them alone on empty shelves

The fundamental answer is no if you're thinking about starting to Reverse Engineer an item for the level you're at while still questing, unless you are very lucky with gathering and RE rolls, you will have levelled again before you get the purple schematic, this doesn't mean it's redundant if its better than green of the next level.

If you're in a position where your crafting skill can produce items in advance of your character level then you could start to anticipate trying to hit purple schems at the same time you reach the level. Realistically perhaps 5 levels above should be a target?

On my main character, I found finding a money maker item (ship upgrades in my case) a good way of not having to worry about the crafting costs.

However, when it comes to sell it, question is how much is this thing worth and how much it cost you to produce. I would be for an "offense" to sell it lower than let's say 15k. But at that price, at level 29, am not sure people will purchase it , so YES, it is a big dilemna for me.

If you're thinking of selling gear, you really can't consider the cost of REing up to that recipe, you can only consider the cost of the materials to make that one piece, and the mats for a level 29 purple aren't more than a few thousand, certainly nowhere near 15K.

Thanks people for your responses. I think the issue is the randomness of RE grinding to get purple schematics to drop, and the seemingly low chance of getting purple materials from mission skills. All those wasted diplomacy missions really cost me money.

Since I'm still levelling my first character, I guess I won't bother grinding for purple craftable item schematics or mats. For now the quest rewards and commendation gear seem more than sufficient and less onerous to acquire.

If you're in a position where your crafting skill can produce items in advance of your character level then you could start to anticipate trying to hit purple schems at the same time you reach the level. Realistically perhaps 5 levels above should be a target?

Hmmm, how would I be in a position to craft items 5 levels in advance of my character level? As it is I find that craftable items have a character level requirement. For e.g., now I'm level 25. The highest level mod I can craft (for Cybertech) requires clvl 27. I would've thought that if I can craft something 5 levels in advance, I wouldn't even be able to equip them right?

Personally, I'd say Biochem (at least for adrenals) yes, the other skills, not really. YMMV, of course. My guildmate re'd a purple sniper rifle every other time he got a schematic until he hit level 50, and that worked pretty well for him. I go for prototype armor on my vanguard (and the rest of the team gets greens).

Depends on the crew skill and you, really.

Hmmm, how would I be in a position to craft items 5 levels in advance of my character level? As it is I find that craftable items have a character level requirement. For e.g., now I'm level 25. The highest level mod I can craft (for Cybertech) requires clvl 27. I would've thought that if I can craft something 5 levels in advance, I wouldn't even be able to equip them right?
Correct, but it takes time and mats to learn purple schematics. Focusing on craftables ahead of your level is pre-planning so that you have an item ready for when you're that level. Purple crafted items are very nice the first level you get it, and will last 1-3 levels compared to nicely mod'd orange items.

If you're thinking of selling gear, you really can't consider the cost of REing up to that recipe, you can only consider the cost of the materials to make that one piece, and the mats for a level 29 purple aren't more than a few thousand, certainly nowhere near 15K.

I beg to differ..:=) Veracity Krayt Dragon Belt Superior Mat is :

- 4 x Xonolite

- 8 x Krayt Dragon Scale

- plus all the rest , 4 Demicot Silk, 4 Bondar Crystal, 4 Ancient Artifact Fragments.

Xonolite alone is priced at 1000 Credit each on GTN at this time, up to 2.3k

Kray Dragon Scale is priced currently at 4900 each !!! I was lucky I purchased some at 1k.

So, just those two as today would cost you over 40k !

Of course if you are lucky and have time to send your padawan to do shopping and they bring those raw mat in quantity enough then you get it cheaper.

SO yes, producing lvl 29 costs you a fortune sometimes

I beg to differ..:=) Veracity Krayt Dragon Belt Superior Mat is :

- 4 x Xonolite

- 8 x Krayt Dragon Scale

- plus all the rest , 4 Demicot Silk, 4 Bondar Crystal, 4 Ancient Artifact Fragments.

Xonolite alone is priced at 1000 Credit each on GTN at this time, up to 2.3k

Kray Dragon Scale is priced currently at 4900 each !!! I was lucky I purchased some at 1k.

So, just those two as today would cost you over 40k !

Of course if you are lucky and have time to send your padawan to do shopping and they bring those raw mat in quantity enough then you get it cheaper.

SO yes, producing lvl 29 costs you a fortune sometimes

Now, Im only 25 but I've had NO problem farming the mats I need to RE blues to learn purps, mat farming is incredibly easy up to this point. I actually had to slow down cause I was overstocked with mats and was able to make items too far above my own level for a while.

And looking at your mat prices, maybe you're just selling your crafted gear too cheaply. If people can sell mats for high amounts like that then the items *should* be of equally high price/value.

Now, Im only 25 but I've had NO problem farming the mats I need to RE blues to learn purps, mat farming is incredibly easy up to this point. I actually had to slow down cause I was overstocked with mats and was able to make items too far above my own level for a while.

And looking at your mat prices, maybe you're just selling your crafted gear too cheaply. If people can sell mats for high amounts like that then the items *should* be of equally high price/value.

Agreed, farming mats is still reasonably easy up to lvl30. Buying them is just faster...:=)

Back to your point, I was just answering someone saying that for example 20k for Purple item is way too expensive at level 29. I guess you and I agree, those items cost a lot.

Do you have any rating for Purple item pricing ? ie lvl 30 - 30k ? lvl 35 - 35k ? would be easy like this lol...of course this is server specifics I guess, am just trying to get a price range if you have.

Agreed, farming mats is still reasonably easy up to lvl30. Buying them is just faster...:=)

Back to your point, I was just answering someone saying that for example 20k for Purple item is way too expensive at level 29. I guess you and I agree, those items cost a lot.

Do you have any rating for Purple item pricing ? ie lvl 30 - 30k ? lvl 35 - 35k ? would be easy like this lol...of course this is server specifics I guess, am just trying to get a price range if you have.

No, I don't really have anything specific, I just look at gear prices at or near my item's level on GTN and price accordingly.

The fundamental answer is no if you're thinking about starting to Reverse Engineer an item for the level you're at while still questing, unless you are very lucky with gathering and RE rolls, you will have levelled again before you get the purple schematic, this doesn't mean it's redundant if its better than green of the next level.

On my main character, I found finding a money maker item (ship upgrades in my case) a good way of not having to worry about the crafting costs.

^This^

I have attempted to craft armouring mods all the way through leveling my BH. I have almost always found that I will have outlevelled the mod by the time I've got a purple RE proc and got enough raw mats to make at least one.

For example, trying to get a level 29 purple armour mod at lvl 29, I managed to get the sum total of 1 made just as I hit 31 and the next level of mods became usable.

This happened for many levels, with some where I just couldn't get the proc. As a result, I am now RE'ing and getting mats for the level of mods above my own level so that I can at least get a few good pieces as I get there.

The RE / purple raw mat procs are way bellow the rate at which you level unfortunately

^This^

I have attempted to craft armouring mods all the way through leveling my BH. I have almost always found that I will have outlevelled the mod by the time I've got a purple RE proc and got enough raw mats to make at least one.

For example, trying to get a level 29 purple armour mod at lvl 29, I managed to get the sum total of 1 made just as I hit 31 and the next level of mods became usable.

This happened for many levels, with some where I just couldn't get the proc. As a result, I am now RE'ing and getting mats for the level of mods above my own level so that I can at least get a few good pieces as I get there.

The RE / purple raw mat procs are way bellow the rate at which you level unfortunately

That's why you should always be making schematics 1 or 2 tiers above your characters level, so that by the time you hit the level where you can actually use the items, you're at the purp schematic range.

Basically, if your lvl 31, you should be making lvl 33 or 35 schematics if you intend on getting the purp versions.

This.

That's what makes is a rather bad idea to craft your own stuff. You can, but only a few pieces unless you're willing to be stranded in one area/planet waiting to get the all the items you want/need.

But also, level 50 crafters don't seem to bother with mid level items either. It's too costly to get them, and they can't charge much because, well people won't pay a lot for something that has short time usefulness. So the result is there are thousands of schematics (if you take in account all proffesions) that are mainly used as a mechanic to boost the skill to 400.

A lot of potential, but all those have little impact in the economy, little impact on the game.

This.

That's what makes is a rather bad idea to craft your own stuff. You can, but only a few pieces unless you're willing to be stranded in one area/planet waiting to get the all the items you want/need.

But also, level 50 crafters don't seem to bother with mid level items either. It's too costly to get them, and they can't charge much because, well people won't pay a lot for something that has short time usefulness. So the result is there are thousands of schematics (if you take in account all proffesions) that are mainly used as a mechanic to boost the skill to 400.

A lot of potential, but all those have little impact in the economy, little impact on the game.

Yes totally agree, am lvl33, I can see that. I produce items but the market is very cheap in price (for synthweaving) and poor in purple content, flooded by loots or normal blue, not even RE. From 40+ GTN is flooded with expensive gears. You are right, economics are not that good for purple items mid lvl.

a)I was 28 last night close to 29. And I was in need of a new rifle. (a pistol for my medic too). Bit fed up with the orange crap.

So as I was browsing the network, I came upon a nice exceptional purple Level 29 rifle for 20K. I bought it without thinking the cost. Money come by easy and good gear priced for the right amount are what is needed. On top buying at that price I do support the armstech guy to RE and continue producing weapons. (I emailed him too to keep me supplied with weapons too). That weapon is going to be used at least until 31. (And is a nice looking one too and planning to replace the augment as I go by).

b)I do armortech on my toon (Trooper), and trying to keep up with the RE and blue items at least +3 levels, ready to make. And I supply any of the guild members are bothered to ask (payment in mats or free of charge).

If I had the recources I could go for purples. However I only started playing the game bit more than a 1 1/2 weeks ago, so I still learn my surroundings of where to get mats.

The system with RE is good concept. And I would like it to stay as is. For no other reason other than it is a whole minigame on it's own. And on top it does clears out the lazy 'craft-farmers' coming from other games. And these are the people who QQ how difficult it is. So be it. We do need a bit of a challenge after all. Also there are plenty of info how to stack the odds but seems not many people care about it. I will only say this. I had no issues to get various Blues from Greens on first or second try tops. And I am talking for items that were on the armortech level. Of course on top I need to build better affection with my crew. And the whole thing makes everything more complex and fun. Shame I can only utilize 3 out of my 4 crew atm.

c) Do not compare the prices people sell minerals on network with the price of an item. Selling some minerals for 500-1000 per unit doesn't mean that people buy it. Nor that this is the price of the item. Market is always supply, demand and consumption. If someone has good affection with their crew, can get mats from missions at 1/10 of the price than in the market. However if you plan to sell them 10 times higher, doesn't mean someone is going to buy them. Trying to pull a fast one through the market, doesn't benefit anyone.

Hi all, I have done a number of custom searches but I couldn't find an answer to my question.

I ask this because I spent a lot of money REing prototype medpacks to get the reusable medpack, then spent even more money and time grinding diplomacy to get the Alien Blood to drop, but in the end, the next level green schematic was superior to the purple reusable medpack.

Thanks!

NO. Absolutely not.

In the beginning, when there were many people leveling, it was still not worth it. You could sell them, but you made much more selling mats. In the end, they will sit in your book, useless as the day you made them.

With the new patch, which will not help you as its still a month out, one could use them to level with, but I don't see any market for them overall.

Correct, but it takes time and mats to learn purple schematics. Focusing on craftables ahead of your level is pre-planning so that you have an item ready for when you're that level. Purple crafted items are very nice the first level you get it, and will last 1-3 levels compared to nicely mod'd orange items.

I tried this, using 5 toons trying to make items for my main so that i would have purples ahead of time. Not a one panned out. The RE rate made it an abysmal practice. The problem is that you move too fast and the RE rate is far too skewed.

I then switched to farming mats, mod gear, playing the GTN, using commendations for mods. From that point on I was decked out in all blues (including all mods), full purples on my weapon, and as many purple items as I managed to gather up before I passed that level. My companion had mostly blues and a blue or purple weapon...and I had plenty of money where before I was always broke.

In short, with my tank, I could blow through any content, any mob with the gear I had. I spent far less time dealing with trade skills and more time enjoying the game content. Only purples you really need are your weapon. Faster you kill the mob, the less damage you take. Everything else can be blue.