Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

RuQu

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Apple ecosystem provides a better 360 degree user experience, period... it truly is what consumers will want in the post-PC era.

But that's not where YOUR profits lie so your "information" to the consumer is weighted by that, ultimately doing them a huge disservice. And you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

No one should never, ever buy anything from the big box stores.

And as a comedic site note, are you actually suggesting a USB port on a tablet? The iPad will have ZERO ports while others brainless executives at lost companies try to figure out why no one is buying their tablets that have "so many ports and options for connectivity." Just, lol.

When Apple stops trying to hide its innovation for using year old parts behind underpaid suicidal 3rd world worker/slaves, we can talk. Disservice my arse. My job is to weigh actual value, not hype or psychological marketing.

"The best camera on the market" (New Ipad) (Psychological)

The truth? There has been better cameras on tablets for almost 6 months, New Ipad sales are a shadow of Ipad 2, indicating informed consumers. Look my friend, Stevie isnt rolling in his grave, hes laughing in it.

When Apple stops trying to hide its innovation for using year old parts behind underpaid suicidal 3rd world worker/slaves, we can talk. Disservice my arse. My job is to weigh actual value, not hype or psychological marketing.

"The best camera on the market" (New Ipad) (Psychological)

The truth? There has been better cameras on tablets for almost 6 months, New Ipad sales are a shadow of Ipad 2, indicating informed consumers. Look my friend, Stevie isnt rolling in his grave, hes laughing in it.

New iPad sales are a shadow of iPad 2 sales? They sold 3 million of them in the first weekend alone... has any other tablet maker even sold 3 million? Hell, have ALL other tablets combined even sold 3 million?

Come on, don't go down that road, it smacks of desperation.

New iPad sales are a shadow of iPad 2 sales? They sold 3 million of them in the first weekend alone... has any other tablet maker even sold 3 million? Hell, have ALL other tablets combined even sold 3 million?

Would you like to know how many were returned? :D How many 2's were sold during the same release week because consumers didnt see the "innovation"? 3 million is a drop in the bucket. Thats barely 1/3rd the subscribers to WoW, and clearly doesnt mean "market share". Theres lesser religions with more people.

Dude, you lost before you even started. Lets not derail the thread further.

"Fruit will still rot when placed in front of Windows" - even faster due to exposure."

Edited by Ancientwolfgr

If you own a mac, you understand that you're purchasing a hardware that is on a distinctly different level from a PC. Software compatability is always going to be a concern- especially with high production video games.

Technically, you don't have to spend the money on bootcamp. You want to. Furthermore, you aren't getting bootcamp to play TOR. You're getting bootcamp to run Windows OS which enables you to use all Windows specific software. TOR happens to be one of them for you. This is just how it works.

I own a Mac, and ran this game with bootcamp.

Amazon Fire

Would you like to know how many were returned? :D How many 2's were sold during the same release week because consumers didnt see the "innovation"? 3 million is a drop in the bucket. Thats barely 1/3rd the subscribers to WoW, and clearly doesnt mean "market share". Theres lesser religions with more people.

[/i]."

Sorry, what? We're somehow comparing 1st weekend iPad sales to... WoW subscriptions? Hmm... I think you've gone to a weird, dark place.

Facts are facts...

Dude, you lost before you even started. Lets not derail the thread further.

"Fruit will still rot when placed in front of Windows" - even faster due to exposure."

Did you really just compare computers to a "religion"?

I've done a ton of leveling on my MBP and yes, it was playable, but nowhere near as much fun or as "pretty" as it is now. Sure, I wish they had the WoW cross platform way of thinking, but they dont and probably wont for some time, if ever. So for months, I looked every week in Craigs List for gaming rigs that I could get into for an insanely cheap price. It took two months to find one that offering BOTH the specs and the price, but I finally picked up a really strong system for $500 from a guy that was graduating college and no longer had time to do online gaming. Wow what a difference. Im an Apple and MAC guy, have a ton of their products even for work and will for years. But Im glad I just went ahead and did what I did with Craigs List, a huge step up in my game playing experience. Edited by Jinook_Phi

Not quite. :D I was expecting you to get that, took you long enough. It just proves Apple is no different than anyone else out there, and subject to hype. Using "The User Experience" changes nothing.

Too easy.

Put the blaster down and step away from the barrel. On a serious side, just put them on ignore, I did it a long time ago. Psychologically he can't see himself being wrong, it's been proven that when someone picks a side of an argument, they will do anything to defend it, even when they are wrong.

Edited by Apocalypsezero

If you want to look at pure capability....they are both computers.

But what they can do is only part of the issue. Macs have FAR fewer security vulnerabilities. You never hear about Day Zero exploits and I haven't seen a Mac with a virus since System 7.5, and the most common one back then did one thing and one thing only...it had a chance to make a beep when an infected file opened. That's it.

The system architecture is cleaner, more stable, and, if you want to use the console to access the back-end, extremely powerful on its Unix base.

They have downsides. As you point out, they are more expensive. Working on them yourself can void the warranty (true of PCs as well though) and they are just about impossible to build from scratch compared to the huge market for PC parts that let you make a good computer for far cheaper than buying it premade. That said, most people buy a pre-made computer, and high end PCs cost just as much as a Mac.

There are pros and cons on both sides. Apple fanboys will certainly talk it up as the perfect machine with no flaws, but the people who bash Apple just because it's cool to be anti-(whatever is popular) and blind themselves to the clear advantages the system does have are no better.

If OS X is so secure then I guess all the Mac users don't need this VirusBarrier or this Norton™ AntiVirus 12 for Mac®

As for "system architecture is cleaner, more stable" it also is a closed architecture while the architecture for the PC is an open system. Thus a PC is less costly to build, industry works together to develop and deploy the various specs so a manufacturer in Japan can design a new widget and insure it will work well with the PC. Last I heard only Apple made parts for Apple - a closed architecture, more expensive, more prone to isolation and eventual relegation to a back water.

Edited by Ujest

Put the blaster down and step away from the barrel. On a serious side, just put them on ignore, I did it a long time ago. Psychologically he can't see himself being wrong, it's been proven that when someone picks a side of an argument, they will do anything to defend it, even when they are wrong.

Just home from work today and if it wasn't him, it'd be some slob walking through the door at work. The buttons are all the same, as are the resulting soundboard entries. :cool:

To be fair, That Other Company was waaaaaay ahead of the industry (and still is) by always doing cross platform releases for every game they made. Even when, 15 years ago, it made no sense & the entire industry thought Apple was in the process of bankrupting itself.

I'm a Bootcamper & I'm not insulted by their response. By dual booting, I'm kinda proving Bioware's point.

Apple is alive because Bill Gate's keeps it afloat as he owns much of what you know as "apple" today. Want to catch fish, use a worm, want to catch a hippie, use a mac.

Hello everyone,

We have removed a number of posts from this thread and would like to take a moment to remind everyone of the rules of conduct.

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Please ensure your posts are on topic and constructive to the thread. Discussions of PC vs Mac is not on topic for this thread and considered thread hijacking.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding moderation in the forums, please contact us at communitysupport@swtor.com

Thank you.

I would hope that parallel and vmware fusion wouldn't be considered third party programs. Was there any actual announcements by BW or their representatives about those style of programs?

Since there's a GM reading this posts I hope we can get a clarification on the subject of using programs to run SWTOR under a virtual windows install in OSx.

Edited by Tool_of_Society

Apple is alive because Bill Gate's keeps it afloat as he owns much of what you know as "apple" today. Want to catch fish, use a worm, want to catch a hippie, use a mac.

Are you seriously saying that? Funniest thing I've read all year.

I would hope that parallel and vmware fusion wouldn't be considered third party programs. Was there any actual announcements by BW or their representatives about those style of programs?

Since there's a GM reading this posts I hope we can get a clarification on the subject of using programs to run SWTOR under a virtual windows install in OSx.

The FACT is BioWare also doesn't support Mac users running Boot Camp. You call, you get the shut-down.

The FACT is BioWare also doesn't support Mac users running Boot Camp. You call, you get the shut-down.

This fact makes me ill. So BW's only "offical" response to Mac owners was to get Windows and play via Bootcamp. Then when a PAYING CUSTOMER calls in with a problem, they are told that they are not the right type of customer to help. It's the same OS, it runs the same as anyone on a "PC".

Basically, they're saying "we'll help you if you are playing on an HP, a Dell, an Acer, heck we'll even help you if you grabbed a bunch of parts off the internet and slapped them together. But if you have a piece of fruit on the back of it, go figure it out yourself, chump."

This fact makes me ill. So BW's only "offical" response to Mac owners was to get Windows and play via Bootcamp. Then when a PAYING CUSTOMER calls in with a problem, they are told that they are not the right type of customer to help. It's the same OS, it runs the same as anyone on a "PC".

Basically, they're saying "we'll help you if you are playing on an HP, a Dell, an Acer, heck we'll even help you if you grabbed a bunch of parts off the internet and slapped them together. But if you have a piece of fruit on the back of it, go figure it out yourself, chump."

Mac users are the lesser of the computer users. You knew this when you bought it. Why complain now?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.