Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Guild Summit: Mac users better really want it...

RuQu

I have been a Mac User for many years but decided to buy a PC this year purely for gaming only. That way my imac can do other things that it wasn't able to dowhile I was gaming and now I have both of best worlds. It is also easier to look stuff up on another machine as well rather alt-tab out of games.

ATM I have my PC and next to that my MBP with a few things open such as Torhead and a few other sites and on other desk my imac is doing other stuff that I may want to do such as encoding video and the like.

Yea worked out more expensive but has made life better.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's much smaller than Windows user population. The point on this thread is purely... democratic, if you want. The majority rules but the minorities rights should also be safeguarded. This is only a minority drawing attention for its existence and asking for a more viable and less expensive solution for the platform they support. Just that. The bad thing I'm seeing here on this thread is a balkanized community arguing about which platform is best instead of supporting itself as whole.

Just about every customer I have ever sold a mac to, either dropped the cash for Windows up front (for Office) or, came right out and said "Ill just get it via torrent".

Less expensive, hah. You already paid 2-3 times more to accomplish basically, the same thing. I'd rather them devote resources where its needed, and after the game starts leveling out, go for it. BW is on a slippery slope as it is, throwing a potential can of worms (chuckles, fruit does have em) into the fray is definitely not a good idea right now.

Just about every customer I have ever sold a mac to, either dropped the cash for Windows up front (for Office) or, came right out and said "Ill just get it via torrent".

Less expensive, hah. You already paid 2-3 times more to accomplish basically, the same thing. I'd rather them devote resources where its needed, and after the game starts leveling out, go for it. BW is on a slippery slope as it is, throwing a potential can of worms (chuckles, fruit does have em) into the fray is definitely not a good idea right now.

Well you poor thing. :( I certainly hope you never have to sell another Mac again.

No, there really aren't. You're missing the point of the entire end-to-end ecosystem, as Apple has truly provided since the Mac came out... Hardware + Software. That is now extended to services and connectivity, and it's an unbelievable user experience that can never ever be created in a fragmented market like Windows.

It actually makes me sad to think that so many people are missing out on what their digital life could really be like, only to be relegated to a life of frustration instead.

Wow, you sound just like the Apple rep at our store(s) - who, consequentially, get rolled eyes and customers often begging us for hip boots and ladder packages.

Your claims are possibly localized, but as a traveler in the retail market, I see just as many frustrated mac owners, and sadly, almost (not all) of the rest are blissfully, ignorant. Fragmentation allows innovation- those year old processors you are using in current macs came from, ahem, you guessed it. (Maybe)

Sheesh.

Parallels is supposedly really good but I haven't had a chance to test it first hand. I've seen many an argument that VMWare Fusion is a better product though. Something for you to chew on before deciding.

Having used both the current generation products, I prefer Parallels over VMware Fusion, especially in Lion. Parallels seems to make better use of Lion's features (for instance, putting Parallels desktop in Fullscreen mode creates a windows desktop as a virtual desktop that I can swipe into and out of easily, even while playing a game).

As for SWTOR running under Parallels, it seems to work fine. On my mid-2010 MBP (w/512MB Nvidia M330 graphics and 8GB RAM), I can run SWTOR in Parallels with multiple other apps running on my Mac, and have decent graphics settings (mid to high on everything but Shaders). And, even better, I can do this at work and simply four-finger swipe left or right to slide out of SWTOR and into my desktop, Mail, Safari, whatever as needed.

The main point is that I can run with the same settings as when running under Bootcamp with no appreciable difference.

**EDIT: I also have a friend back in the US who claims to have used the iPad Parallels app to play SWTOR on his iPad by controlling it on his iMac (running SWTOR under Parallels) remotely. Haven't tested this myself, so YMMV...

Edited by misterME

Theres certain types I steer TO the Mac. It keeps the rest of the day open for innovative discussion amongst colleagues.

As opposed to the Mac users who are actually blissfully using their Macs instead of standing around talking **** about their PCs with you...

;)

Well you poor thing. :( I certainly hope you never have to sell another Mac again.
I use libre office because it's free (open-source) and compatible with all office formats.

Having used both the current generation products, I prefer Parallels over VMware Fusion, especially in Lion. Parallels seems to make better use of Lion's features (for instance, putting Parallels desktop in Fullscreen mode creates a windows desktop as a virtual desktop that I can swipe into and out of easily, even while playing a game).

As for SWTOR running under Parallels, it seems to work fine. On my mid-2010 MBP (w/512MB Nvidia M330 graphics and 8GB RAM), I can run SWTOR in Parallels with multiple other apps running on my Mac, and have decent graphics settings (mid to high on everything but Shaders). And, even better, I can do this at work and simply four-finger swipe left or right to slide out of SWTOR and into my desktop, Mail, Safari, whatever as needed.

The main point is that I can run with the same settings as when running under Bootcamp with no appreciable difference.

Awesome thanks for the first hand review.

Just about every customer I have ever sold a mac to, either dropped the cash for Windows up front (for Office) or...

Well, Microsoft does make a version of Office for Mac. Though, to be fair, it might just be the most bug-riddled piece of software MS has ever produced, which is saying a lot coming from someone who actually tried like hell to make Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME) work back in the day...

Well, Microsoft does make a version of Office for Mac. Though, to be fair, it might just be the most bug-riddled piece of software MS has ever produced, which is saying a lot coming from someone who actually tried like hell to make Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME) work back in the day...

ewww next thing you're going to do is tell us about the time you used MS Bob...

ewww next thing you're going to do is tell us about the time you used MS Bob...

Um...I did use MS Bob. And Clippy was a permanent fixture on my desktop for almost three years, until I replaced it with the little Einstein guy, which sat there for at least another two...

{hides head in shame}

Wow, you sound just like the Apple rep at our store(s) - who, consequentially, get rolled eyes and customers often begging us for hip boots and ladder packages.

Your claims are possibly localized, but as a traveler in the retail market, I see just as many frustrated mac owners, and sadly, almost (not all) of the rest are blissfully, ignorant. Fragmentation allows innovation- those year old processors you are using in current macs came from, ahem, you guessed it. (Maybe)

Sheesh.

You work at a big box retailer? Selling computers? I'm sorry but that really doesn't qualify you to make certain statements.

I know the realities of the market that I see, and numbers don't lie. The old guard of Windows dominance is ending, and the post-PC era is truly here. So far, Apple is the only one successfully playing in it.

In the words of the immortal Steve Ballmer: "I gotz nuthin'"

You work at a big box retailer? Selling computers? I'm sorry but that really doesn't qualify you to make certain statements.

I know the realities of the market that I see, and numbers don't lie. The old guard of Windows dominance is ending, and the post-PC era is truly here. So far, Apple is the only one successfully playing in it.

In the words of the immortal Steve Ballmer: "I gotz nuthin'"

There will never be a post PC era.

To be fair, That Other Company was waaaaaay ahead of the industry (and still is) by always doing cross platform releases for every game they made. Even when, 15 years ago, it made no sense & the entire industry thought Apple was in the process of bankrupting itself.

I'm a Bootcamper & I'm not insulted by their response. By dual booting, I'm kinda proving Bioware's point.

Almost 20 years ago now. I remember playing Warcraft: Orcs & Humans on my old Macintosh. Ahhhh, those were the days. :)

It's happening my friend, and if you ignore it, you will be left behind.

What do you think macs are? They're just pc's with Apples operating system on it. Gone are the days where apple made their own computer parts. Don't be ignorant.

What do you think macs are? They're just pc's with Apples operating system on it. Gone are the days where apple made their own computer parts. Don't be ignorant.

He claims that Windows is going down because Mac will soon be going to iOS for the operating system, therefore because iOS has a huge market share of handheld devices, and soon into the Mac computers that developers will ignore PC because iOS will have the bigger market. He also says that Windows Gaming will also go down because of this, despite that the experts keep on saying that it will continue to grow. Don't bother asking Lethality for any proof, he won't give any, he blatantly refuses to show any.

When he states that Android OS is nothing more then a science experiment, even though it has the higher market share, and the experts stating that the Android Tablet by 2015 will have the higher market share for tablets, it gives you an idea how wrong Lethality is.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

As a mac user, I play SWTOR with bootcamp.

And the day another MMO is released and supported natively by macOS I will switch to it : my 60Gb partition for 7 is a pain for my SSD space limitations.

Maybe even before with Diablo3 since the more I play SWTOR the less I can see the MMO aspect in it.

It's happening my friend, and if you ignore it, you will be left behind.

^^^ Perfect example of "Delusions of Grandeur". Tell ya what, I'll remember your name in another decade, and be sure to quote you when they finally put a USB on an IPAD. (Perhaps Ipad 7 or 9)

As for my "qualifications", considering I see thousands of customers every week, and interact with hundreds at multiple locations, I'd say I have a much better perspective than a mirror polished Apple Groupie. It's also part of my job to rip tech apart and inform the consumer what REALLY is inside.

Ive seen your type for decades, and still [you] manage to create humor.

Edited by Ancientwolfgr

^^^ Perfect example of "Delusions of Grandeur". Tell ya what, I'll remember your name in another decade, and be sure to quote you when they finally put a USB on an IPAD. (Perhaps Ipad 7 or 9)

As for my "qualifications", considering I see thousands of customers every week, and interact with hundreds at multiple locations, I'd say I have a much better perspective than a mirror polished Apple Groupie. It's also part of my job to rip tech apart and inform the consumer what REALLY is inside.

Ive seen your type for decades, and still [you] manage to create humor.

The Apple ecosystem provides a better 360 degree user experience, period... it truly is what consumers will want in the post-PC era.

But that's not where YOUR profits lie so your "information" to the consumer is weighted by that, ultimately doing them a huge disservice. And you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

No one should never, ever buy anything from the big box stores.

And as a comedic site note, are you actually suggesting a USB port on a tablet? The iPad will have ZERO ports while others brainless executives at lost companies try to figure out why no one is buying their tablets that have "so many ports and options for connectivity." Just, lol.

He claims that Windows is going down because Mac will soon be going to iOS for the operating system, therefore because iOS has a huge market share of handheld devices, and soon into the Mac computers that developers will ignore PC because iOS will have the bigger market. He also says that Windows Gaming will also go down because of this, despite that the experts keep on saying that it will continue to grow. Don't bother asking Lethality for any proof, he won't give any, he blatantly refuses to show any.

When he states that Android OS is nothing more then a science experiment, even though it has the higher market share, and the experts stating that the Android Tablet by 2015 will have the higher market share for tablets, it gives you an idea how wrong Lethality is.

Cute isnt it though? :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.