Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

[Unfair] Disadvantage for Sorc/Sage

daMarek

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go in character screen > melee damage and put your mouse over bonus damage. No willpower there - only strength.

I think im owed an apology

On my screen:

Bonus: 67.8

Str(60) +12.0

Willpower (297) + 59.4

Power (0) +0.0

Level 19 Shadow.

Go in character screen > melee damage and put your mouse over bonus damage. No willpower there - only strength.

You don't mouse over Melee Damage to discover your classes primary attribute. You mouse over the different ones and when you go over Willpower for a Sage/Sorc/Shadow/Assassin it shows that Willpower increases melee output.

Not to mention one of the loading screens says something like "Willpower increases both ranged and melee damage for the Inquisitor/Consular."

You don't mouse over Melee Damage to discover your classes primary attribute. You mouse over the different ones and when you go over Willpower for a Sage/Sorc/Shadow/Assassin it shows that Willpower increases melee output.

Not to mention one of the loading screens says something like "Willpower increases both ranged and melee damage for the Inquisitor/Consular."

Only for Shadows and Assassins, which is why the guy who posted above you is also correct in what they see (but incorrect for countering the point of this thread).

That being said, it's not 'unfair' at all. Any sage or sorc that uses a lightsaber modified attack should just delete and reroll shadow/assassin. They're clearly playing the wrong class.

Only for Shadows and Assassins, which is why the guy who posted above you is also correct in what they see (but incorrect for countering the point of this thread).

That being said, it's not 'unfair' at all. Any sage or sorc that uses a lightsaber modified attack should just delete and reroll shadow/assassin. They're clearly playing the wrong class.

If you mean me...

1. Not a guy. :)

2. Could you explain how it's incorrect, please? My melee dmg. is based off willpower from everything I have read. I'm trying to find where I read something on this directly from BW. Still looking for that cite.

I'm always up to learn, so I'd love to hear why that was incorrect.

Thanks!

If you mean me...

1. Not a guy. :)

2. Could you explain how it's incorrect, please? My melee dmg. is based off willpower from everything I have read. I'm trying to find where I read something on this directly from BW. Still looking for that cite.

I'm always up to learn, so I'd love to hear why that was incorrect.

Thanks!

No, that is where you are correct. YOU being a SHADOW get melee bonuses from Willpower.

A Sage does not. That is what the thread is about.

No, that is where you are correct. YOU being a SHADOW get melee bonuses from Willpower.

Ah, I see what you meant. Thank you.

Still, I am pretty sure that I read that WP *is* the dmg. modifier for all Sorc/Sage/Shad/Assassin. ETA: I was so surprised by this, that's why it stuck in my head. Kind of like how peculiar (to me anyway) the whole Aim thing is on, say, Qyzen.

Damn, I gotta find that cite.

Edited by DieAlteHexe

Exactly, and it's the only AC that has any attack ability not connected to main stat.

I truly hope this is just an oversight and will be fixed real soon.

Exactly, and it's the only AC that has any attack ability not connected to main stat.

It is not, Georg commented on this in beta at one point. This is by design so people aren't thinking it's a good idea to swing your saber as a sage/sorc.

Ah, I see what you meant. Thank you.

Still, I am pretty sure that I read that WP *is* the dmg. modifier for all Sorc/Sage/Shad/Assassin. ETA: I was so surprised by this, that's why it stuck in my head. Kind of like how peculiar (to me anyway) the whole Aim thing is on, say, Qyzen.

Damn, I gotta find that cite.

Willpower does not affect sorcerer/sage melee damage at all. The OP is correct about this. What he isn't correct about is this being an unfair disadvantage. Everyone has skills that aren't all that useful for their advanced class/spec.

edit: The OP has a habit of making hyperbolic posts. It's best just to ignore him.

Edited by Therrak

Dude, regardless of whether or not you need strength to increase lightsaber damage as a Sage/Sorc, the fact of the matter is you shouldn't be running up to melee range as a Sage/Sorc. Lightsabers for them are basically for defensive purposes and all of a Sage/Sorc abilities rely on the Force. If you don't like it, reroll to a Shadow/Sin/Knight/Warrior.

As for your previous comment on how an Operative has their weapon damage increased by Cunning, it's because unlike a Sorc/Sage they are SUPPOSED to use their weapon for DPS. They don't have Force Powers to fling across the battlefield.

You really need to stop caring about Lightsaber damage as a pure Force casting class, because it makes no sense.

Edited by Silthir

Willpower does not affect sorcerer/sage melee damage at all. The OP is correct about this. What he isn't correct about is this being an unfair disadvantage. Everyone has skills that aren't all that useful for their advanced class/spec.

Alrighty. Thank you for clearing that up. When I find that cite, I'll link it and hopefully it will get cleared up as well.

Thanks!

It is not, Georg commented on this in beta at one point. This is by design so people aren't thinking it's a good idea to swing your saber as a sage/sorc.

Oh noes come on!:(

Edited by daMarek

I guess the question should be,since the sage really only needs the lightsaber for is to block incoming attack, parry,deflect...etc. Be nice if the willpower would increse the ability to deflect attacks as opposed to causing damage.

I know it is a ranged class, but all other ranged classes have their main stat Aim or Cunning tied to their weapon damage, and they can use it at close range too.

Is this as intended or is it an oversight/bug/feature?

Feature. Their weapon is the force, and a powerful weapon it is.

And they can use the force at close range too.

"Bonus Damage". That's you're secondary melee damage, what str adds to it. WP adds main damage for sorc/sage.

Anyway with the same reasoning, why do snipers get some melee abilities? I'm so confused, am I supposed to run in and shiv?!?!?!

Funny, when I add a higher level hilt to my lightsaber the damage of my skills go up. Sure, the bonus damage or healing stat doesn't go up, but my spells hit for more, much more than an extra 2 more willpower will add. They normally do an addition 30-50 damage depending on the spell.

Funny, when I add a higher level hilt to my lightsaber the damage of my skills go up. Sure, the bonus damage or healing stat doesn't go up, but my spells hit for more, much more than an extra 2 more willpower will add. They normally do an addition 30-50 damage depending on the spell.

That's because of the force power stat that gets put on there with the hilt. Not because of the weapon damage.

No you are wrong.

Each class has ONE stat that adds to their damage, and a second stat that CAN add to their damage.

Any damage you will be doing, regardless if its with your saber or with a force power will gain damage FROM YOUR WILLPOWER STAT!

Strength will add a .08 extra damage amount to your melee attacks ONLY, while Willpower adds 1.00 damage to ALL your attacks. READ THAT AGAIN ALL YOUR ATTACK! BOTH MELEE AND FORCE!!

Each class follows this SAME design.

My Jedi Knight has a force attack...does that mean I should be stacking will?

NO! STRENGTH ADDS TO ALL MY DAMAGE REGARDLESS OF TYPE!! THAT IS WHY ITS A PRIMARY STAT!

Nice attempt trying to troll, no go crawl back under a bridge.

You've actually got the situation flipped around. There are 4 primary stats, and 4 types of abilities, and there's a direct association between them.

Strength <-> Melee

Willpower <-> Force

Aim <-> Ranged

Cunning <-> Tech

For all characters, the stats increases the bonuses for the related abilities. Where it gets complicated is that some classes or ACs have secondary bonuses, and these can be different for ACs within the same class.

Specifically, Shadows get a Willpower -> Melee secondary bonus, but Sages do not. The saber strikes are listed as Melee abilities (you can check in-game tooltips to verify), so for a Sage, they do not benefit from Willpower.

For your example, Knights get a Strength -> Force secondary bonus, which is why they don't need to stack Willpower, but it is still a force based ability.

The main stat Willpower does not increase the damage of their weapon (Lightsaber). Lightsaber damage is tied to Strength, an utterly useless stat for sorc/sage.

I know it is a ranged class, but all other ranged classes have their main stat Aim or Cunning tied to their weapon damage, and they can use it at close range too.

Is this as intended or is it an oversight/bug/feature?

I agree. It's not like it's an emergency since sage/sorc are casters, but it would be nice if the melee attacks they get weren't 100% useless. It's not like they're going to suddenly become good at melee so it's not a balance issue. It would still make a lot more sense than them not getting a stat bonus to some of their attacks at all though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.