The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Crew Skills

BLAKEIV

Ive gone cybertech with scavenging and underworld trade. The post I read talked about being able to make mods, earpieces and armor mods/enhancements yourself.

It sure has gone through the credits and wasted time so far but I'm enjoying it. Ive even started selling a few specialized pieces on my server for some extra creds.

Do some reading in the other parts of these forums to see what interests you. Also have a look through your GTN and see whats lacking to try and recoup some creds.

Biochem is probably the most useful because it creates stuff you can use again and again in both pvp and pve. If this is your first character, id go with this.

Armourmech is a good way to keep your companions in reasonable gear until you've kitted them out in orange gear.

The rest are not so great and are probably more for making money later on in the game by creating and selling various purple mods.

None of the crew skills are particularly linked with any class type.

so I just switched from biochem to armormech to aventually make my rakata brackers/belt. but in doing so i cannot use my rakata stims/potion/adrenal. does this work the same way for the crafted armor? if i make my armor and switch back to biochem will i be unable to wear the armor i crafted? thanks

so I just switched from biochem to armormech to aventually make my rakata brackers/belt. but in doing so i cannot use my rakata stims/potion/adrenal. does this work the same way for the crafted armor? if i make my armor and switch back to biochem will i be unable to wear the armor i crafted? thanks

The rakata gear is tied to your crafting skill. If you switch back to biochem, you can wear all the gear you crafted, except the rakata peices.

Edited by finkelmana

I do like armormech for my vanguard. I made most of my armor while leveling. Thats 6 slots of gear. You can also make armor for your companions. At level 50, all crewskills become less useful - other than biochem. Ive worked on getting some purples from REing, so I can sell a few items on the GTN for profit, but my servers population is so low, that sometimes they can take a while to sell.

I've been doing armormech while levelling and it has provided me (and my companions) with good armor. I've also done pretty well selling armor pieces on the GTN as well, although that will depend on how busy the various planets are on your server.

In the current state of the game, any of the relevant skills (Arms, Armor, Cyber, Bio) can be useful as you're leveling up, but the only real endgame applications are the reusable consumables from Bio or the grenades from Cyber.

With that said, though, there are supposed to be significant upgrades to all the tradeskills as of the 1.2 patch.

In the context of leveling: If you like Orange items, go Cyber rather than Arms or Armor; you can get free weapon barrels from the commendation vendors and make everything else yourself. Armor is a fine choice too if you don't strongly prefer the moddable route, and the chance to crit craft a 4-slot orange item in 1.2 will be extremely interesting.

I have been happy with armor mech mostly be cause I can make stuff for other players that is often 50+ armor rating higher than they get from questing. I have invested a lot of time and money leveling up the scavenging and crafting skills to get there, and lots of reengineering to get blue specs. It keeps me poor. The better stuff I make is actually unusable by me because it requires a higher toon level.

I went Biochem/BIoanalysis/Diplomacy

The re-usable stims/medpacks/adrenals are fantastic. Even the blues you can craft are great.

I've never found myself thinking it'd be nice to make my own gear/implants/mods either. I've found more than enough through questing and GM.

But that's just me. Everyone is different.

The only thing to make sure of is that your 3 skills compliment each other.

Does biochem make any extra credits from the GTM?

Yes especially at higher levels when you can sell re-usables and nice implants. What i've found the most profitable though is farming planets with Bioanalysis then selling the crafting material I don't use anymore.