Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

£1000 to spend, what should I get?

Waveflier

My gaming laptop has blown its motherboard (Dell 1530), so I am now in the market for a new system. Thinking of returning to the old desktop systems but there is just so much out there. Any recommendations duly appreciated.

Wodo

My gaming laptop has blown its motherboard (Dell 1530), so I am now in the market for a new system. Thinking of returning to the old desktop systems but there is just so much out there. Any recommendations duly appreciated.

Wodo

Save it until GW2 requirement system specs come out.

Nothing, Nvidia's Kepler cards are due to hit the market this month so prices are all going to go through a shift if it's as good as rumoured. I'd hold tight a few weeks to see what happens if you can.

Alienware obviously ... and for SWTOR of course .

Lol, sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee if you want overpriced junk ;).

As the guy above said hang on for now Nvidias new cards are just around the corner.

Edited by RTCBrad

Alienware obviously ... and for SWTOR of course .

I built a computer with the exact same specs as a top end Alienware which costs £3500 my self for £1000.

Learning to build a PC costs allot less than £2500 (free).

Save yourself from being ripped off and learn to build it yourself, it easy, a 10 year old could learn to do it.

Edited by AngelousWang

all trolls, go whine somewhere else instead of giving some usefull info for a serious question.

to OP: if you really want to know, you should visit some Desktop Hardware fora and not expect some intell on SWTOR forum.

Good luck in finding a good desktop build

Lol, sureeeeeeeeeeeeeee if you want overpriced junk ;).

As the guy above said hang on for now Nvidias new cards are just around the corner.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy from Dell.

This has to be the worse company to deal with in the history of man. Take this from personal experience as well as from the many websites made to complain about them.

I did a build for a friend of mine a few weeks back, it's a little over your budget but this is what I built..

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Mainboard: Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GC3M2A1600C9

SSD HDD: Samsung 830 series Desktop Upgrade Kit 128GB

SATA HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, 2TB

GPU: Sapphire HD7950 3GB GDDR5

Cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

Tower: Corsair Carbide 500R

PSU: XFX Pro 550W

Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB

This netted at around 1200 euro's I think. I dunno what the euro/pound rate is but I think this should stay around, or just above 1000 pounds.

Keep in mind this isn't including peripherals though.

If you decide to build your own box, here are some hints...

- I like ASUS mainboards, in the past those also came with a good manual that allows you to build the whole system

- do only buy RAM that got a manufacturer check for that very mainboard you choosed

- do not safe on the power supply. Also think about all the fans in your box and which way they bow. eg do not buy a power supply that sucks the air in since the most dust is usually behind your box and dust is the number 1 longtime killer of every power supply, gpu and cpu

- while you can order pretty much everything online for cheap, I always regretted buying the chasis online... to me thats the one thing I have to touch and inspect with my hands before buying it (an online picture wont tell you how cheap it is manufactured, if you can cut urself on the edges, where the fans go, if there is a dust filter and so on)

the rest is research on the price lists what you can actually get for your money. I always double check prices with amazon, if it is at least not more expensive than it is not a total ripp off. ;)

edit: i never got happy with any samsung product and i personally always had a lot less problems with Intel cpu and nvidia gpu.

Edited by deusBAAL

I did a build for a friend of mine a few weeks back, it's a little over your budget but this is what I built..

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Mainboard: Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GC3M2A1600C9

SSD HDD: Samsung 830 series Desktop Upgrade Kit 128GB

SATA HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001, 2TB

GPU: Sapphire HD7950 3GB GDDR5

Cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

Tower: Corsair Carbide 500R

PSU: XFX Pro 550W

Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB

This netted at around 1200 euro's I think. I dunno what the euro/pound rate is but I think this should stay around, or just above 1000 pounds.

Keep in mind this isn't including peripherals though.

1000 pounds is about 1200 euro right now

Build your own desktop. It's not that hard and you'll get twice the computer for the same money. For a gaming system that's a MUST.

Things that you really need to know. Be careful of static electricity; ground yourself because you can fry sensitive electronics with static if you're not careful. Avoid touching electrical contacts for that reason (like on your memory sticks).

Don't drop hard-drives. They are like glass, very easy to destroy by dropping.

Maybe get a book on upgrading, but it's pretty intuitive.

HEAT IS THE ENEMY. Nothing in your computer should be warm to the touch. If it's above 60c you are shortening the life of your computer and if you get way over that your computer's life may be measured in seconds. You want good airflow through the case and good heatsinks.

I recommend a peltier cooler. I think mine is Cool Master... I think. It keeps my CPU so cold that I was afraid NOT to overclock my system (if you get the temp below room temperature you can cause condensation which is REAL bad inside electronics). I just kept turning up the motherboard/cpu speed until the computer became unstable and then turned it back down a bit. You can't do any damage other than blunt force, heat, or electricity (such as static or shorting a circuit). So, use some good thermal paste on the CPU and keep an eye on the temp and you can overclock.

A good heatsink for the CPU is going to burn a lot of your budget, but it might be worth it if you can overclock. AND it gives you the piece of mind knowing that your CPU is protected. You might even get 40 or 50 years out of a CPU that's well guarded against heat. Who knows.

OH. And BUY GOOD COMPONENTS. Don't go for the cheap stuff. You'll regret it because it will fail on you. IF you get a free replacement, you'll still spend a lot of time and whatnot messing with it. Not worth the hasle. Read reviews and lean towards name brands that have a good reputation. I almost never see parts of my computers fail and I have about 6 of them currently. The one I'm on now never gets turned off and the CPU temp is 29C overclocked.

Buy from a website like TigerDirect. You'll get good prices and get most of what you need.

Consider memory speed, CPU speed (and matching motherboard speed), and your graphics card. All those things are going to have a major impact on your gaming experience. Amount of RAM and harddrive rotational speed are going to have an effect too, although harddrive speed is mostly going to affect wait time when the game loads rather than the experience IN the game.

If you had a larger budget I would recommend hooking the computer up to an HDMI TV and going with a wireless keyboard and graphics tablet (as a mouse). Then you can sit some place comfortable rather than at a computer desk. The graphics tablet is likely to break the bank though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.