How geared should i be to heal HM's?

trippie

As the title says, I'm looking for some way to gauge when i will be able to successfully heal hard modes. I have 5 or 6 champion/centurion pieces and the rest is my leveling gear from Correlia. I've been trying for some non-HM flashpoints but to no avail, so my only option is to jump into the hard modes. Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

All you need are the daily mods/enhancements/armoring pieces from Illum/Belsavis dailies. I'm usually shocked at those who to try to gear up in PvP before doing HMs because it's so much easier to spend an hour a day doing dailies for 2-3 days, and then you've got all you need.

If you want to continue gearing up alongside FPs, it takes ~5 days per item to receive the Rakata implants and ear piece from the dailies, totaling 15 days of dailies, but you definitely shouldn't wait to get those before going into the FPs.

You can also join normal mode Operation groups the moment you hit 50 to get some gear from the Ops as well.

All you need are the daily mods/enhancements/armoring pieces from Illum/Belsavis dailies. I'm usually shocked at those who to try to gear up in PvP before doing HMs because it's so much easier to spend an hour a day doing dailies for 2-3 days, and then you've got all you need.

If you want to continue gearing up alongside FPs, it takes ~5 days per item to receive the Rakata implants and ear piece from the dailies, totaling 15 days of dailies, but you definitely shouldn't wait to get those before going into the FPs.

You can also join normal mode Operation groups the moment you hit 50 to get some gear from the Ops as well.

Don't forget you can grab mastercrafted Implants/Earpiees off the GTN usually as well!

Honestly, I started healing HM's with only one PvP piece and the rest just questing oranges/blues. All I did was start out with the easier HM's to heal (BT/Foundry) then moved on from there, If you have most of your PvP set already, I would say you could heal most HM's as you are at the stage I am at now (PvP sets used for PvE, don't hate...just like PvP more :p)

You should be good to go. If you are running with guild memebers, you will have no problem. If you get a bad pug with a bunch of Poo standers so everyone is taking damage and/or the tank keeps pulling when your heat bar is >50%, it will be quite challenging but help you learn your class strengths and weaknesses.

the more important question here is, how geared should your TANK be.

BH healing is all about heat management.

if your tank is on the verge of cratering after being sneezed on, you'll be screwed.

if your tank can't hold aggro, and you have to keep healing dps AND the tank, you'll be screwed.

if your DPS can't finish the boss in time to beat enrage, you'll be screwed.

the bottom line is, succeeding at healing a HM is much more about the rest of your group, than you.

Eventually you will run a hard mode and have more hit points than the tank! While that is a bit odd, and sad, don't use that as the basis for judging if you are ready for a particular hard mode.

You should be able to heal with champ/centurion gear, though you will have less hits and aim. I even imagine you can deal with a few hard modes with only level 50 blue/moddeable items too. If in doubt, just try. Some of them are far harder than others, so start with the easier ones first, and end with False Emperor and Kaon.

If the other members of the group know what not to stand in, and when to inturrupt, you should be just fine.

The gear/skill of the rest of the group is important. If the rest of the group is bad you will need better gear. As a fresh 50 you should look for some people (guilds) who will help you out by taking you through BT/BP/Foundry a few times so you can get some good PVE pieces.

BT especially- you can heal this in your sleep as long as the tank is not retarded/the DPS beat enrage timers.