The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro againsts mara/sent

Its me back again for some more advice. Getting ever so more geared and really starting to feel I do well in PvP now and can hold my own against even some BM's. However sentinels and marauders still seem to have my number.

I guess i especially notice it as there are a few in a rep guild I keep coming across that seem to stop what they are doing and come kill me instead lol. I'd like to think its because I'm a threat if left alone but I'm sure its more to do with me being an almost guaranteed kill.

Looking for some tricks to use against them as full pyro (4/6/31) that may result in me being able to kill these geared wrecking balls other than slapping them when they have no cooldowns up (saber ward and guarded by the force/undying rage are my banes)

Nope, no they will always beat you if they are good and have their CDs up.

Yep, they are pretty much our anti class.

When they use that annoying thing that makes them take only 1% damage it is a good time to stun them. Distance and terrain is good too. If you can run around a wall or something after throwing TD it helps.

But really, hope they have a bad day. They are one of the best 1 vs 1 classes aside from ourselves.

If all cd's are available, an Assassin and Maruader will beat a PT. Those are the only two classes that have the PT's number, and even then its fairly close.

My best advice is to unload all the damage possible in the opening few seconds on the Maurader before he reacts and use his defensive cool downs. Once his defensive cooldown is used, use your stuns/slows and kite/los as best you can. Be ready to drop your stealth droids QUICKLY, as a restealth and successful re-opener on you can be a match changer.

I run with 4 offensive cooldowns (adrenal, overload, and two /use relics). If I know the marauder is good, I only use one or two at a time, as they can cc and use Defensive cooldowns through much of the burst if you use all your offensive cooldowns.

Use your 15% health regen ability in conjunction with biochem med pack, and preferably during the marauders burst/offensive cooldown usage. This will force him to burn through a lot of empty health of yours and keep you more intact.

Edited by Humankeg

Save Determination for Force Choke.

Hopefully front load all damage on them.

Stun during Immunity (if possible), Carbonize if they break first stun.

Try desperately to keep distance. (Good mara's won't be "kept at snare range" easily like people say is a strategy...Only the bad ones will let you)

Also, if you are worried I would pop Energy Shield/kolto right at the start of them attacking you to get max duration.

Even in full BM Gear some of the Sents/Maras on my server can rip through 17K worth of my HP very very easily....it's depressing really . But hey, we destroy pretty much every other class so i can't complain to much.

Edited by exphryl

Well in a 1v1 I only have problems with the ones in BM gear...im in full champ eliminator with crit power and surge mods, medic and eliminator BM implants rakata ear, and champ relics popping a power adrenal crit/surge relic and explosive fuel i can burn them down VERY fast if I get the reset on rail shot a bunch of times sometimes it takes longer I may have to pop a med pack but the undying rage sucks sometimes

Nope, no they will always beat you if they are good and have their CDs up.

Yep, they are pretty much our anti class.

When they use that annoying thing that makes them take only 1% damage it is a good time to stun them. Distance and terrain is good too. If you can run around a wall or something after throwing TD it helps.

But really, hope they have a bad day. They are one of the best 1 vs 1 classes aside from ourselves.

Assassins are our anticlass. I would rather face marauders any day over an assassin, even bad assassins can beat a powertech easily.

Immune to dots for 12 seconds, no railshots, no slow on them, nothing. You'll be a quarter health or lower, before you can do any real damage to them.

Never encountered an assassin that was harder to kill than an marauder. Stuns work well of course when they are using their cooldowns.

And then just back away and semi kite with flame burst, as I haven't seen an Assassin use Force speed to actually gap close in the mid of battle.

Assassins are our anticlass. I would rather face marauders any day over an assassin, even bad assassins can beat a powertech easily.

Immune to dots for 12 seconds, no railshots, no slow on them, nothing. You'll be a quarter health or lower, before you can do any real damage to them.

Errr.. its only 3s. 5 if they are a tank. Beyond that they aren't really that much of a threat. Only thing I hate about tank assassins/shadows is they take to long to kill with the passive healing (10% or so health back with harnessed darkness stacks) and help ends up arriving.

Deception/Inf sin/shadows opener hits like a truck but thats what infared sensors are for :p

The issue with assassins is we have no way to break their force lightning heal spam :(

Interrupt doesn't work. Knockbacks do though right? Not that it helps us since we don't have any....

Sometimes I feel like I have to do 40K damage to an assassin to kill some of them..quite frustrating at times.

Errr.. its only 3s. 5 if they are a tank. Beyond that they aren't really that much of a threat. Only thing I hate about tank assassins/shadows is they take to long to kill with the passive healing (10% or so health back with harnessed darkness stacks) and help ends up arriving.

Deception/Inf sin/shadows opener hits like a truck but thats what infared sensors are for :p

Yes, its definately not 12 seconds.

I would still prefer facing a maruader over an assasisin though. But both are anti-Pt/vanguard.

Sorry I got the 50% damage reduction and the complete immunity mixed up.

Ether way they are insane to kill.

Yes, its definately not 12 seconds.

I would still prefer facing a maruader over an assasisin though. But both are anti-Pt/vanguard.

Hmmm maybe I've just not come across any good assassins then. With infrared sensors I'm normally quick enough to spot deception ones and kill them easily and tank ones are just an annoyance. Sure they take a while to kill but marauders on the other hand simply rip my face off :(

I seem to beat Assassins/Shadows without issue. But Mara/Sents are another thing. If they didn't have that 5 seconds of almost complete immunity, it would be something different. They are brutal. And with a buff to Knight/Warrior and a nerf to BH coming, it's only going to get worse.

DPS Sins are quite easy to destroy, it's the stupid tank sins that i struggle with. (We run a dueling tournament on my server and they are the most frustrating I go up against, Granted, dueling scenarios with top tier pvpers are different then the random pugger you see in a warzone).

Usually comes down to about a 500hp in either me or their health left.

Maras I'm learning to deal with more often, if I have determination up for their force choke it's quite easy to beat them, and saving stuns (both) for Undying Rage/Power Of The Force. They do get lucky time with crits though (dots/abilities alike) which can shave off a huge portion of my health very quickly. But that's just RNG for what it is.

DPS Sins are quite easy to destroy, it's the stupid tank sins that i struggle with. (We run a dueling tournament on my server and they are the most frustrating I go up against, Granted, dueling scenarios with top tier pvpers are different then the random pugger you see in a warzone).

Usually comes down to about a 500hp in either me or their health left.

Maras I'm learning to deal with more often, if I have determination up for their force choke it's quite easy to beat them, and saving stuns (both) for Undying Rage/Power Of The Force. They do get lucky time with crits though (dots/abilities alike) which can shave off a huge portion of my health very quickly. But that's just RNG for what it is.

The really nasty ones are when they have full fury/zen already or have their insta full cooldown up.

They get everything rolling and those 6 dot crits are 1k+ each and the 6 ticks will be in the space of ~3s :(