Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've searched for quite some time now, and I thought about just letting it go, but my curiosity is killing me...

What does SGRA stand for?

I've guessed Same Gender Romantic ...... but I haven't been able to guess the A

btw, a web search returns Smoking Gun Research Agency, which studies the paranormal, metaphysical & unexplained

I've searched for quite some time now, and I thought about just letting it go, but my curiosity is killing me...

btw, a web search returns Smoking Gun Research Agency, which studies the paranormal, metaphysical & unexplained

Arc!

(took me awhile too)

Same Gender Romance Arc

Same Gender Romance Arc. Though by the time I've posted this about six others will probably have done so. :p

EDIT: Well, two is sort of like six. >.>

Edited by Kioma

Same Gender Romance Arc. Though by the time I've posted this about six others will probably have done so. :p

EDIT: Well, two is sort of like six. >.>

They're both round numbers?

Also Smoking Gun Research Agency and it's purpose makes me giggle.

They are, trust me. :rolleyes:

1) No one has a right to anything here, it is Bioware's forum. There is no right to free speech here. When something is so obviously being posted as flame bat, Bioware has every right to remove it, I'd dare say responsibility to remove it if they actually want to promote constructive discussion on their forums.

2) Whether the content is important or not or whether content is offensive or not or whether the content should be in the game or not is not "the subject at hand". If folks want to discuss that go start your own thread.

With all due respect, I do feel that your points should be clarified: As long as you are respectful and constructive in your posts, you are well within your rights (as stated by the terse Forum Guidelines and the Rules of Conduct) to disagree with others. The subject at hand is the how and when of implementation of SGRAs in SWTOR (at least, according to the third post). While I don't disagree with it in any way, if someone did they are allowed to post about it, assuming they can remain constructive and respectful. That is, as far as rules are concerned, their right to do so.

To rear it back to the main point, I do agree that flame bait and wanton trolling should be removed. I haven't seen much of it lately in this particular thread, but I do flag it when I see it.

EDIT: I forgot to add that said disagreements have to be game-based. Out of game references aren't allowed.

Edited by Lashknife

Just dropping by to add one more voice in the vacuum.

Bioware's failure to communicate its plans and priorities for TOR in a clear and timely fashion has IMO been it's biggest failing. Even where we see minor things getting addressed, some of the issues most important to the player community are handled with ambiguity, or in this case simply not at all.

Well, second biggest failure at least. The biggest failure is not living up to the expectations of a Bioware game by having the content in the game at launch. :p

I've been following this discussion for a long while now and would like to throw my opinion in the mix if possible.

I'd encourage everyone to look at the big picture and relax just a little bit.

First off, Bioware has promised us same-gender romance companions and has done nothing to make us doubt we will eventually see these companions join us in game. Bioware has a long history of including same-gender content in its games. EA and Bioware continue to rank very highly on the Human Rights Campaign's "Workplace Equality Index". Scoring a 90% in business practices, community support, hiring and products places it way above many businesses that we give more money to. Furthermore, they are having to deal with threats of boycotts due to their plans to include same-gender content into SWTOR and have been dealing with these threats due to their history of aupporting the GLBT community in the past. They dont have to do this but they have and, almost certainly, will continue to so that they can provide and inclusive and welcoming community.

Second, I get a little frustrated too when I get options to flirt with or romance the opposite gender but not my own but for me its not that big of a deal. Eventually I will get a companion that was created, designed and voiced for my character's orientation. I'd rather wait for new, unique, fully developed companions than get a quick patch now that adds awkward, forced text.

Other games and companies have taken very opposing stances on this community and gone so far as to include abrasive and offensive dialogue in game. We should be thankful Bioware is taking a different approach.

Yes, sgra at launch would have been ideal. Yes, I would have liked to of heard more info about ETAs but is it really killing us to wait a little bit? Let's give them time to create these companions and figure out the best way to intergrate them into the game. I understand other people's frustration but I would encourage everyone to resist the urge to quit. We have no reason to believe that Bioware has changed their minds or gone back on YEARS of support. If we start seeing new companions added without any mention of same-gender romance in game, then I think we can get upset. But until then, you catch more flies with honey.

I have to admit, I'm frustrated. I'm starting to feel like Bioware doesn't value me as a player. Their refusal to even post a timeline for implementation of same-gender romance arc is starting to feel like a personal slight. I'm afraid that they are leaving us in the dark so we'll keep playing indefinitely, desperately hoping that the content will eventually be added. I'm worried that the will continue mandating heterosexuality or celibacy for my character until the first major expansion, and who knows how long that will be. Since they won't even answer our questions on the subject, I give up. I'm done. I'm putting my character on hold until Bioware manages to pull themselves out of the dark ages and provide players with the diversity that should be expected from a Bioware game. I'm tired of waiting, I'm tired of being ignored. I'll see you guys in a month or a year, whenever they get around to removing the fundamentally homophobic coding from this game.

I understand other people's frustration but I would encourage everyone to resist the urge to quit. We have no reason to believe that Bioware has changed their minds or gone back on YEARS of support. If we start seeing new companions added without any mention of same-gender romance in game, then I think we can get upset. But until then, you catch more flies with honey.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it has taken me years to escape all of the homophobia I've had to endure from people in the material world. I just can't deal with facing it in a Star Wars game right now. I've got plenty of amazing Star Wars books to read in the meantime, but I just can't bring myself to play SWTOR for the time being. I fear that they are refusing to provide a timeline because they know its going to be a long wait. They should have held off on implementing relationships altogether until they were able to do it in a non-discriminatory manner.

Edited by DarthBeviin

I'm done. I'm putting my character on hold until Bioware manages to pull themselves out of the dark ages and provide players with the diversity that should be expected from a Bioware game.

Yeah, I had to start doing this weeks ago. Probably been over 3 weeks since I've even been able to play any of my characters.

I'll see you guys in a month or a year, whenever they get around to removing the fundamentally homophobic coding from this game.

Not so much for me. I'll keep checking the news and looking for comments till 1.2 hits. If it isn't in the game by then or at the least an ETA of "soon" given I doubt I'll ever give the game a second look.

Not so much for me. I'll keep checking the news and looking for comments till 1.2 hits. If it isn't in the game by then or at the least an ETA of "soon" given I doubt I'll ever give the game a second look.

I'll still keep an eye out for updates, but I've checked almost every day for nearly 3 months so I think I'll have to limit myself to once a week at the most now. That's pretty much all the frustration I can handle right now.

Yes, I would have liked to of heard more info about ETAs but is it really killing us to wait a little bit? Let's give them time to create these companions and figure out the best way to intergrate them into the game.

Let me turn that around. Would it really kill them to give us some small token of communication?

No.

And again, I would say that most of us are, in fact, willing, able, and prepared to wait, and to give them as much time as they need. As long as they tell us something besides what they said six months ago.

You aren't wrong in suggesting that people be patient. But I feel that we have been patient. We've certainly given them enough time that they should be able to communicate something to us, and that is all we're asking. And I don't think we should let them off that hook.

No, it absolutely wouldn't kill them to provide some form of reassurance to us, I'm just trying to discourage everyone from jumping ship. The more people who want to see this content in the game stick around, the better chance we'll see or hear something soon. At least that's my hope.

To those of you who are considering quitting for the time being/have quit may I ask if you've given the rp servers a try? If you are seeking a romance with your companions then you are roleplaying on some level, why not try interacting with other characters? I understand that for many this is an issue with Bioware's lack of communication but for those who don't mind waiting and want to interact and flirt with the same gender, this might work for you. If this would help ANYONE feel more included in the game, message me. I'd be happy to flirt with you and build a strong community to show Bioware that we are sticking around and it would be worth their effort to add these options for us.

You aren't wrong in suggesting that people be patient. But I feel that we have been patient. We've certainly given them enough time that they should be able to communicate something to us, and that is all we're asking. And I don't think we should let them off that hook.

I'd say 6 months with no word is beyond patient now. In 6 months they should already be rolling this out, not being asked for updates.

Do we know if same gender romance options will be available with the already existing companions?

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Do we know if same gender romance options will be available with the already existing companions?

Just to follow up a bit on what Kioma said: take a look at the quotes in Uluain's post on this page - scroll down until you see the orange text. :) Having SGR options for current companions is under consideration; unfortunately, we still don't know.

Personally, I think adding SGRs to the current companions would be a ton less work than creating new companions just for SGRs, so it's my hope that the devs went that route. Hopefully we'll find out during the guild summit.

That post should be on the first page in the first post now.

If not that post, then definitely the quotes. Hmm.

Kioma, you've got the first post after the BW post. Any chance you could edit that to include the Stephen Reid quotes I linked to? It would really be nice to have that on the first page of these threads. Thanks. :D