re-rolled, looking at professions...

Metaspark

long explanation short, I want a profession that will benefit as long as I keep it at my level that won't leave me broke at the same time

on my old sentinel I had Artifice, which no matter how high it was I always found gear that already had better mods in it before I could even make useful mods. in my experience, the only use I've found for it is making my lightsaber a more desirable color, and that usually sacrificed a few points that the default crystal gave in each saber. and it left me with too little money to actually attempt to reverse engineer better patterns

on another alt I have biochem, which was not only useful for soloing, but also kept her money at a decent level. and the diplomacy alignment gains were a nice boon. however I don't see how this profession helps in the long run, especially after the recent addition to allow anyone to use the re-useable items

so what other professions would you recommend?

Depending on whether there isn't much on the auction on your server Treasure Hunting for gathering can make quite a bit of money, you get lots of orange gear out of it and the Corusca purple gems tend to sell for a lot. I had it on my Vanguard when i switched sides and had something like a million credits before it even hit the 40's. If your auction is well stocked it probably wouldn't generate so much cash though. Edited by Kabaal

I leveled with artifice/archaeology/treasure hunting. At one point I dropped treasure hunting for slicing and made some quick credits, but picked TH up again in preparation for the upcoming 1.2 release.

Artifice is not super great right now for end-game crafting. It is getting some much needed updates in 1.2. That being said, it was awesome having a prototype or epic level hilt, enhancement or color crystal every two levels or so as I went along.

I've been artifice since I started my Sentinel. The only way that Artifice is NOT better than the gear you find is if you're severely underleveled or on-level. I've always been three to five levels above the content, which has allowed me to craft my own items and be EXTREMELY ahead in terms of stats.

However, it does get pricey in the middle range, once you hit Level 3 crafting materials. I managed to bankrupt myself on Taris, but took a break to level and get cash and was able to afford level 2 speeder training while continuing to craft.

I just recently hit level 50 but with two sabers with self-crafted purple-level hilts, crystals and enhancements, I'm already a step ahead without tackling daily missions and crap like that. Just started Corellia and I'm still breezing. I'm working on filling out the rest of my armor with purple enhancements now. With Kira and a high affection (she's at 10,000 for me), Corusca Gems (lvl 6 purple mats) are actually pretty common. I usually turn up about 3 gems for every 8-10 gemstone missions I run. That doesn't sound like a lot but it seems much higher than the drop rates on others.

Supposedly crafting is getting a facelift which could make it even more useful, although I fear maybe only at endgame. We'll see.

The way I see it is Artifice can allow you to craft three of the pieces you need for your weapons and one of the slots for any armor. And since hilts determine the base damage of your sabers, it's super important to keep that at the highest level possible.

I suppose I'll give artifice another try. I haven't read any changes coming in 1.2, and my first sentinel being my first character there might have been some other contributing factors to my constant bankruptcy...

thanks for the insight

I've had a lot of success with Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Slicing. I never have a money problem with this setup. By skipping out of Diplomacy, you make money two-fold - all the money you save on not spending money on the Diplomacy missions, and all the money you make by picking up Slicing nodes along the way.

You can also level all the way to 400 in Biochem without a single thing from Diplomacy. Which means you can use all of the top end stims, adrenals, and medpacks. The only thing you need Diplomacy for is crafting blues / purples. So many people do Biochem, though, that I can always by the Diplomacy mats off of the Auction House (whatever it's called). Alternatively, a lot of times I've actually just been able to buy the purple I'm looking for instead of buying the xtra mats to craft / RE until I could make it.

I haven't found a downside to going this way. I get all the perks of Biochem, but end up with way more money than I would've otherwise.

long explanation short, I want a profession that will benefit as long as I keep it at my level that won't leave me broke at the same time

on my old sentinel I had Artifice, which no matter how high it was I always found gear that already had better mods in it before I could even make useful mods. in my experience, the only use I've found for it is making my lightsaber a more desirable color, and that usually sacrificed a few points that the default crystal gave in each saber. and it left me with too little money to actually attempt to reverse engineer better patterns

on another alt I have biochem, which was not only useful for soloing, but also kept her money at a decent level. and the diplomacy alignment gains were a nice boon. however I don't see how this profession helps in the long run, especially after the recent addition to allow anyone to use the re-useable items

BIOCHEM is amazing for sentinels so pick up bioanalysis, biochem, and diplomacy. at the same time if you would solely like to make a ton of credits get diplomacy, underworld, and scavenging.

People being able to equip reusables will be big for biochem since it will create a boom in demand for the items, and the mats so stock up or control the market and sell high before hand.

Where's the love for cybertech? Mods and armoring are great. And you can sell spaceship parts and make bank. My only complaint is it is generally cheaper to buy the lvl 49 purple mods/armoring rather than make it yourself as the mat cost is huge (at least on my server). Edited by jewsinspace

Depending on whether there isn't much on the auction on your server Treasure Hunting for gathering can make quite a bit of money, you get lots of orange gear out of it and the Corusca purple gems tend to sell for a lot. I had it on my Vanguard when i switched sides and had something like a million credits before it even hit the 40's. If your auction is well stocked it probably wouldn't generate so much cash though.

I have TH and have yet to get an Orange piece of gear. Is that from lockbox missions?

To answer the OP: Biochem is always a good choice no matter the class. Artifice is what I have and I always have top-of-the-line sabers. Nice being able to make enhancements too, and better than what a commendation vendor can give me.