Taunt too strong?

Teabaker

Honestly, for PvE, I'd hate to lose my taunt as a melee dps with tank cooldowns.

It's useful for getting **** off the healer or hanging onto a boss a short bit if a tank died.

Those rarely involve switching to tank stance, since my Vanguard must CAST his stance change.

No never seen either when taunted, might have to change some settings or something.

It's possible the taunter is staying away from you.

When I taunt as a Vanguard I'll immediately LoS so I don't get roflstomped.

Duel a friend with taunts and have them taunt you. So you know what to look for.

Edited by Grubfist

Taunt stacking is the issue here, not taunt itself. It should only be possible to have one taunt effect on you at any one time. If that's not the case they need to fix it.

This.

If there is any issue with taunts in PvP, this is it.

Honestly, for PvE, I'd hate to lose my taunt as a melee dps with tank cooldowns.

It's useful for getting **** off the healer or hanging onto a boss a short bit if a tank died.

Those rarely involve switching to tank stance, since my Vanguard must CAST his stance change.

Honestly dps shouldn't have taunt. This is an oversight on BWs part. Just like guard taunt should not be useable outside tank stance.

Not useful when taunter automatically takes 40% less damage because his a tank....
Well apart from the obvious in that tanks don't take 40% less damage than dps, isn't this discussion about non tanks using it? Removing it from tanks would just be stupid as it removes one of the primary reasons to take a tank.

His point was non heal spec heals suck and taunt doesnt change.
The reason taunt works as a tank is because they are tougher to kill. This means that when they taunt it forces dps to either do 30% less damage to their target or switch to a different, tough to kill one. If a non-tank taunts, then the dps gets a choice between attacking their current target or switching to the taunter who is squishy. It's pretty obvious which of these is more effective.

Also, I'm not sure on the other tank specs but Immortal Juggs get a lowered CD on their AoE taunt, meaning they can use it more often, hence it will have more of an effect than if a DPS is doing it.

You still deal 30% less damage to him because of dual taunt.
Haven't we been through this? If 2 people taunt you at once, it means they can keep taunt up for much less overall time. In other words when it runs out, you'll be free to gimp either them or their healer with full damage done.

Taunt stacking is the issue here, not taunt itself. It should only be possible to have one taunt effect on you at any one time. If that's not the case they need to fix it.
Nobody has shown this to be the case.

Honestly dps shouldn't have taunt. This is an oversight on BWs part. Just like guard taunt should not be useable outside tank stance.

I disagree. It makes things interesting in PvE, to kite and to help deal with problems when **** hits the fan. If you have tank cooldowns, having taunt is reasonable.

THey could, however, make taunt's PvP effect be tied in with being in the correct stance or having a certain talent higher in the tank skill tree.

See now here is the problem with you statement, "melee dps". Name any other game where ANY dps class has tank abilities.

DDO

The distinction isn't as clear in some games because the classes are more hybrids. Especially in PvP where a true tank role is sort of useless in the current WZ's.

DDO

The distinction isn't as clear in some games because the classes are more hybrids. Especially in PvP where a true tank role is sort of useless in the current WZ's.

I do pretty damned well in WZs as tank spec/geared thank you very much. =P

I do pretty damned well in WZs as tank spec/geared thank you very much. =P

Ditto.

Especially with a pocket healer. In that scenario I can defend a door on Voidstar or a point on Alderaan for ages against 2 enemies with ease and a reasonable length of time against 3 or 4, time to reinforce etc or just significantly slowing down the enemy advance.

DDO

Meh, ok you got me with DDI, but thats based on a game system that does have pvp and rock paper scissors balancing.

But aside from that... Maybe tanks don't have a clear roll in pvp here because 1 of the 2 primary uses is available to dps. WAR made tanks viable in pvp, swtor has similar concepts but with some oversight. There is plenty of use for tanks in pvp here... Problem is all the other classes have access to all the same stuff. I mean ever class has all the same variety of cc as the tanks do. So most classes can do the things tanks are meant for.

I think Taunt is fine on full Tanks with Tank Stance. However, it's just dumb that some DDs can taunt on Cooldown and reduce the Damage against everything by 30%. (If you attack Taunter 1 you will deal 30% Damage less because Taunter 2 has taunted you too. If you attack Taunter 2 you still deal 30% less Damage because Taunter 1 has also Taunted you). Thought i couldn't test it if it really works that way. Feel free to correct me.

What do other People think about Taunt?

And yes, i had a Warzone against 4 Powertech and some Assassins who spamed Taunt on Cooldown. It's pretty funny to have a Debuff-bar full of "Taunt". D:

Also the annoying thing is that there is no Counter to it. It isn't expensive, it isn't removable, it doesn't increase the Damage done to the Taunter by X, you have no Idea who taunted you, it has no cast time and it has a big range.

EDIT: Some suggested Fixes:

-Let it fill the Resolve Bar

-Make the Target who taunted you very visible. Let them glow red (Only for you)

-Give it a Cast Time (Add a Talent in the Tank Tree which changes it to an instant cast)

or the easiest but boring solution:

-Let Taunt only be usable in the Tank Stance

Bool****. Do you want to remove heals from non healers too?

Whats next, giving everyone same cc and making them do same damage?

There are downsides and upsides to every class , some have taunts some do not , same with heals, but all u need is a 4 damn medals and thats easy for everyone.

Takes me 1.5 secs to switch stances and i have to stand still, other classes have it instantly. I am team player , i help my team by doing damage and debuffing others .

Jk and SW got other debuffs , every class gets something extra. This is not Clone Wars.

Edited by Shogunjedi