The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

In depth guard discussion

Umpire

I haven't seen anyone talk about guard in depth. Is the information just not out there? Here are some questions that I want to ask to start the conversation:

• How is guard damage mitigated? the 50% damage that you take from your guarded target, I would assume that they are two different hits; the portion that effects you is mitigated like normal.

• How does defense work? If my guarded target gets attacked, can he take 50% of the damage, and I avoid it completely due to having a high defense rating?

• The 4 piece pvp set gives 5% more damage when guarding a target. Does this effect and others like it stay active while the guard target is out of range?

• Can someone clarify the pvp/pve differences? I've heard the damage redirect doesn't work in pve but I see no ingame indication of that.

These are just to get the party started, all guard everything in this thread. It's a cool ability.

Edited by Umpire

How is guard damage mitigated? the 50% damage that you take from your guarded target, I would assume that they are two different hits; the portion that effects you is mitigated like normal.

When you guard a target, anyone attacking that target does 50% to them and 50% to you separately. The dmg done to you is mitigated with your defensive stats even though they are attacking your guarded ally.

How does defense work? If my guarded target gets attacked, can he take 50% of the damage, and I avoid it completely due to having a high defense rating?

Absolutely, that is the primary benefit of guard. You are effectively blocking attacks headed toward your ally with your own saber/shield/etc. Then the dmg that does get thru is further mitigated by your armor value, not his.

The 4 piece pvp set gives 5% more damage when guarding a target. Does this effect and others like it stay active while the guard target is out of range?

Untested but my initial theory is no.

Can someone clarify the pvp/pve differences? I've heard the damage redirect doesn't work in pve but I see no ingame indication of that.

AFAIK it should work the same both in PVP and PVE, but I have lost a guarded dps before I died due to mitigating more of my 50% than he did of his. (or maybe having less total)

In PVP you tend to die at the same time as your guarded target more frequently, but this is probably due to the differences in mitigation of armor/shield in pvp vs pve.

Edited by Prolyfic

Damage transfer only works in pvp, as others have stated.

this is a good thing, as a tank do you want to take 150% damage from any aoe effects when you are already being pounded by the boss? Id be wary to use the ability if it functioned like that.

5% damage reduction and the threat transfer both work in pve. Since melee dps is the most likely to take incidental damage, most likely to pull threat, and most likely to actually be within the 15m range, guard should always go on your best melee dps.

Guard on a healer is great for pvp, but terrible for pve. Healers wont pull threat as long as you hit each mob a few times, and if you dont do that, they'll pull threat with guard anyway.

The dmg done to you is mitigated with your defensive stats even though they are attacking your guarded ally.

Do you have a source for this info?

:edit:

I understood it as damage is calculated based on targets mitigation, then 50% of mitigated damage is taken from the target and 50% from the tank.

Are you saying the damage is caclulated based on 0% mitigation then 50% is applied to the target which is then reduced by the targets mitigation and 50% is taken by the tank who then applies his/her mitigation on that 50%?

Edited by Jestunhi