The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP powertech vs pyrotech

xTehMikex

Alot of people think AP is 'broken', or at least, a sub par tree to Pyro for PvP dps.

Fact is, Pyro means you're gonna have some options with melee and ranged play, using Rocket Punch and Flame Burst, and then firing Rail Shots off from a distance as well as Incendiary Missiles.

AP playstyle is very mobile, there are speed buffs you can skill, and Retractable Blade is used at close quarters, as are Flame Thrower (Prototype does mad damage on crits) and Flame Burst and Rocket Punch, which you wanna use alot cause elemental and fire damage is skilled.

Both are highly mobile, but AP seems to favor a more 'melee-esque' approach to fighting. Slightly more. Again, my main complaint was just that I preferred the playstyle of Pyro, the option to be close-quartered or distanced. I think with AP you're slightly limited in your ranged efficiency (i.e. can't use Flame Thrower or Retractable Blade, two big time skills).

Try 'em both, at level 34 it's well worth testing out which you prefer. Reduced cooldown on Electro Dart is awesome for PvP (esp huttball). That, then Rail Shot, and time your Grapple for when the stun wears off, and they ain't going NOWHERE!

Enjoy it.

Unfortunately as fun as the AP playstyle is it really can't compare to pyro except in ideal circumstances. Pyros range advantage combined with AP's reliance on flamethrower (you have to remain stationary for the biggest hitter) mean in most circumstances where you are dancing in and out of melee range AP falls drastically behind.

AP's only real advantage is its heat management. With free rocket punches, immolate only costing 8 heat and 8 heat vented every 6s there is next to no reason to ever have to rapid shot as opposed to pyro's having to watch their heat level vs fishing for PPA procs.

One point I will make though is do not listen to the above poster and try them out now. AP needs immolate and prototype weapon systems to even be remotely useful.

One point I will make though is do not listen to the above poster and try them out now. AP needs immolate and prototype weapon systems to even be remotely useful.

LOL he's right, respeccing costs so much, don't you dare try!!

I think that the guy saying not to respec because of the cost was joking, I hope so at least. Try everything out, especially if you are 50. My char sits on a pile of money because when I farm I just go kill elites and strong mobs that sit next to chests. If you do that you won't have money problems.

I used to be Carolina Parakeet and I liked it, but I have been trying out pure and almost pure dps builds the past couple weeks and it has been fun. Right now my build is something like 18+ in pyro for PPA and incendiary and 14 in AP for retractable blade and imp quell. It's fun, but I wouldn't dismiss AP out of hand.

One trick with a 31 AP build is to use your missile attack even though it's high in heat when you can't get into melee range. You lose heat so fast that it's not that crazy using your stock missile attack.

If the AP tree buffed flame burst instead of flame thrower (situational skill) the class would be balanced. Still better utilized in PvE, but much more versatile in PvP. All they need to do is swap flame thrower with flame burst everywhere in the AP tree.

Alot of people think AP is 'broken', or at least, a sub par tree to Pyro for PvP dps.

The facts are that AP does less dps than Pyro (in ideal environments where the target doesn't move) and AP has a few more attacks that rely on melee range, so that is poor for PvP.