Gore..why so useless?

Darth_Bond

It does crap dmg, the amount of dmg boost you get from armor pen is negligable, barely noticeable, and its active for like 5 secs.....why is it so useless? I cant help thinking we could have gotten a better talent that far up the tree instead of 'gore'

You're using it wrong then...

I thought that Gore -> Force Cream -> Massacre (assuming you're full Carnage spec) does a really nice amount of damage.

id switch fs and massacre unless proc is already up~

id switch fs and massacre unless proc is already up~

Right. I haven't spec'd Carnage since I was level 49 so I forgot what procs what... but whenever that proc that makes your next FS a crit, pop Gore then watch those 3k-4k yellow numbers pop off the enemies. That's always nice. :cool:

In PvP gore is ON THE WAY to being useless. You will be lucky to get that force scream or maybe ravage on someone mainly because as soon as any mara starts his rotation you WILL be eating at least one stun or worse, knockback (+root a lot of the time) therefore, if you JUST gored, it was wasted. SO yes it is VERY BAD but not worthless.

You're using it wrong then...

I thought that Gore -> Force Cream -> Massacre (assuming you're full Carnage spec) does a really nice amount of damage.

As if it wasn't douchey enough to tell someone they're doing it wrong, you also had to "do it wrong" yourself. I giggle at thee.

I haven't got Massacre yet. I do find though that gore gives Force Scream some nicy juicy damage :) when you pommel an enemy after they fall down it's always higher end damage so I think gore helps that too.

If they get back up they have like 5% health haha

I'm going to argue that other than Pommel Strike and Savage Kick, Gore is the most useless skill that Marauders have, simply because it's unreliable as all hell.

Seemingly great on paper, pathetically useless in practice.

Gore is great in PvP, but yeah, pretty useless in PvE. The biggest difference I've ever seen Gored vs Ungored in PvE was like 200 damage. And that was on a crit. :|

In PvP, however, I'm currently seeing differences of around 800-1,000 damage on crits.

Edited by mrHaterade

Basically you want to make sure Blood Frenzy is active for the guaranteed crit on your next Force Scream, once thats active you will use Gore>Force Scream>Ravage. This combo will do at least 5k more damage with Gore up then with Gore down. For those of you saying you don't notice it, obviously don't know how it works.

I have seen Force Scream hit for 2700 crit w/o Gore and I have seen it well over 4000 with Gore. I have also seen the last hit from Ravage do over 3500 with Gore up as well. Gore makes a HUGE difference if used correctly. Its a set up move. You dont just use it because its ready to use. You use it when other factors are present, ie Blood Frenzy/Execute.

You have 3 things you always want to check for before using Gore.

1. Is Blood Frenzy active?

2. Is Ravage up?

3. Do I have enough Rage to complete this cycle of Gore>Force Scream?

If you answer no to:

1. Then wait. Useless to use Gore when this isnt active,

2. This is ok, because you can still use Gore>FS>Massacre x2 which is = to Ravage(The reason you don't use Massacre OVER Ravage is that Ravage does not cost any Rage.)

3. Again, dont use it. If you have to add an Assault in there you are wasting a global cooldown and will not be able to finish your rotation with Gore active, it will simply fall off as you start Ravage causing a huge loss in damage.

Gore seems like a simple mechanic, but it is, in fact not simple at all. It takes a lot of practice to be effective with it.

Basically you want to make sure Blood Frenzy is active for the guaranteed crit on your next Force Scream, once thats active you will use Gore>Force Scream>Ravage. This combo will do at least 5k more damage with Gore up then with Gore down. For those of you saying you don't notice it, obviously don't know how it works.

I have seen Force Scream hit for 2700 crit w/o Gore and I have seen it well over 4000 with Gore. I have also seen the last hit from Ravage do over 3500 with Gore up as well. Gore makes a HUGE difference if used correctly. Its a set up move. You dont just use it because its ready to use. You use it when other factors are present, ie Blood Frenzy/Execute.

You have 3 things you always want to check for before using Gore.

1. Is Blood Frenzy active?

2. Is Ravage up?

3. Do I have enough Rage to complete this cycle of Gore>Force Scream?

If you answer no to:

1. Then wait. Useless to use Gore when this isnt active,

2. This is ok, because you can still use Gore>FS>Massacre x2 which is = to Ravage(The reason you don't use Massacre OVER Ravage is that Ravage does not cost any Rage.)

3. Again, dont use it. If you have to add an Assault in there you are wasting a global cooldown and will not be able to finish your rotation with Gore active, it will simply fall off as you start Ravage causing a huge loss in damage.

Gore seems like a simple mechanic, but it is, in fact not simple at all. It takes a lot of practice to be effective with it.

^^

If you didn't already know this and you're complaining about gore, L2P. If you already know this and don't think Gore boosts damage, L2P. For Carnage, Gore is your bread and butter. You're the same people that say 'Marauders suck, need boosts, etc.'. L 2 P

Gore is great in PvP, but yeah, pretty useless in PvE. The biggest difference I've ever seen Gored vs Ungored in PvE was like 200 damage. And that was on a crit. :|

In PvP, however, I'm currently seeing differences of around 800-1,000 damage on crits.

Where are you getting these numbers from? When I leveled with Carnage spec from 20-49, whenever I did Gore -> Force Scream (while Blood Frenzy is up), the damage on my FS would drastically go up by at least 800.

Where are you getting these numbers from? When I leveled with Carnage spec from 20-49, whenever I did Gore -> Force Scream (while Blood Frenzy is up), the damage on my FS would drastically go up by at least 800.

The low numbers were for various gold 48/49 mobs on Corellia in PvE gear. The higher numbers are low, but I'm still working on my set. :p

Edited by mrHaterade

Gore is actually an entertaining analysis.

It buffs the next 3 attacks by (100-80)/80 = 25% to (100-60)/60 = 67% damage depending on your target's armor.

So you basically spend 3 rage and a GCD on an ability with lower damage than Assault ... e.g. you lose ~50% of a Massacre, and gain 75%-200% of a Massacre.

Gore's use will give a net average buff of 25%-150% of a single attack ... more like 0%-125% of an attack when you consider that it's actually 3 Rage and Massacre's only 2. Optimizing attacks will bump that up slightly (always using an autocrit Force Scream in the Gore window, for example, which happens to be dubious for sustained PvE DPS).

Just as an aside, you should to do Gore > Ravage > Scream, not the other way around. It practically guarantees an auto-crit Scream, plus gives you a full GCD to get both in under Gore's effect. Here's the reason (this is in the Mach 5 sticky)

0.0 Activate Gore

1.5 Activate Scream

3.0 Activate Ravage

6.0 Ravage finishes/Gore ends

If you have any delay in firing off that Ravage at all, Gore will end before the last tick.

0.0 Activate Gore

1.5 Activate Ravage

4.5 Activate Scream/Ravage ends

6.0 Gore ends

Same time passes, but this gives you 1.5s of fudge room to make sure Scream goes off under Gore.